The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

7 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here's his hit for comparison 

How did this not amount to a call from those scumbags at the DOPS? Kassian is a repeat offender, and his reaction is one of a guy who knew it all along. 

But it's the Oilers and the team that has Mcdavid is good for business in the NHL. 

Anyone who justifies this hit but thinks Gudbranson's is worse is huffing glue. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did this not amount to a call from those scumbags at the DOPS? Kassian is a repeat offender, and his reaction is one of a guy who knew it all along. 

That's just it. I have no problem with a 1 or 2 game suspension for gudbranson. But as of now kassian doesn't even have a hearing. Not even a word that dops is looking at it. That is what gets me. The inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

That's just it. I have no problem with a 1 or 2 game suspension for gudbranson. But as of now kassian doesn't even have a hearing. Not even a word that dops is looking at it. That is what gets me. The inconsistency.

Some here are stating that Kassian's hit wasn't as dirty, which just blows my mind. There is no question that it is. 

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But it's the Oilers and the team that has Mcdavid is good for business in the NHL. 

I notice Lucic went flying in at the end of the play, to play peacemaker. Or was it to make sure Hartman stayed down? 

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

In slo mo it looks like Gud has time to let up and doesn't.

wont be surprised at a suspension.

damn.

If you look at it, he brings his arm up, so that he's not hitting him with full impact of his body. That looks like trying to let up to me. 

Homerism aside that was a dumb penalty and I don't mind if he gets 2 or less games because of it.  C'mon people, what if someone hit our precious Boeser like that?  You would all want supplemental punishment handed out.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you look at it, he brings his arm up, so that he's not hitting him with full impact of his body. That looks like trying to let up to me. 

Gonna have to say I don't see it that way upon another few views.

i think what you are referring to is Gud making sure his own stick stays down.

im a big real GUD supporter so it's no detracting for me.

sucks to maybe have him gone but imo it's a legit hit from behind.

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Homerism aside that was a dumb penalty and I don't mind if he gets 2 or less games because of it.  C'mon people, what if someone hit our precious Boeser like that?  You would all want supplemental punishment handed out.

What's dumb is if you put on a Canucks jersey, you have to play cleaner, and more above board than anyone else, just because of bad optics. 

Did any of the refs call it right away?

From what I saw and thought I heard from Shorty and Garrett was that the refs looked at each other and at the Bruin's face before making any call at all.

When he returned to the ice, I could see his face was pretty beat up, so if they saw blood coming from a couple spots, they might have reacted more to that than to the infraction itself.

I know I thought he was ok until I saw him after his return to the ice.

That side angle was damning in that Real Gud seemed to launch himself a bit into it at the last moment.

This was not readily apparent to me on the first angle.

This could also lead the league to more severe punishment.

Much as I love Gudbranson and what he brings to the team, he has to be more careful, at least until the action/reaction boils over, when that happens, it's on!

The inconsistency on the instigator rule is ridiculous.

Perhaps the NHL is only pretending to want to take fighting out of the game.

Perhaps their research shows great fan enjoyment from this politically incorrect (and legally questionable) part of the game.

Guddy didn't look like he really wanted the fight but the Bruin did not give him a choice, and by not making the instigator call, the refs encourage fighting.

Of course this does not matter in the previous game with Dorse getting the instigator, because he is a Canuck.

The inconsistancy is atrocious and so foul that it leads to the belief that the Canucks get the worst treatment in the league, all the time.

This belief is reinforced, in my opinion (of course), when we see new players come to the team and look dazed and confused when they get punishments they would not have received previously.

If Pronger had played for Vancouver, he probably would had been permanently suspended, even possibly dragged into court.

End of the day, Guddy's guilty, and I do not expect any such leniency whatsoever.

These are the same biased people that handed out suspensions to lambs like Edler and Hansen, and nothing for Moore.

I expect at least 2 games maybe more, and only because (according to CDC) Gudbranson has not been suspended previously or it would be more.

And you know, the League has to make sure every Canuck who shows any physcial dominance gets a record asap so they can realy nail them next time.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's dumb is if you put on a Canucks jersey, you have to play cleaner, and more above board than anyone else, just because of bad optics. 

Normally I agree but in this case that was a recipe for a concussion or worse a broken neck.  People can't bring up the SCF 7 years ago, totally different people in the DoPS, I'll give them a chance to show they treat everyone the same and not as moronic or corrupt as their predecessors.  Here's hoping...

I agree with @Goall:thecup, He had him lined up all the way and launched into it at the last second.  Also was done in that dangerous part of the ice where is a couple feet off of the boards.  Kassian was more to the side and did not launch off of his feet into it.

Would think Major and game would be fair but would not be too upset with up to 2-3 game suspension.

39 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Did any of the refs call it right away?

From what I saw and thought I heard from Shorty and Garrett was that the refs looked at each other and at the Bruin's face before making any call at all.

When he returned to the ice, I could see his face was pretty beat up, so if they saw blood coming from a couple spots, they might have reacted more to that than to the infraction itself.

I know I thought he was ok until I saw him after his return to the ice.

That side angle was damning in that Real Gud seemed to launch himself a bit into it at the last moment.

This was not readily apparent to me on the first angle.

This could also lead the league to more severe punishment.

Much as I love Gudbranson and what he brings to the team, he has to be more careful, at least until the action/reaction boils over, when that happens, it's on!

The inconsistency on the instigator rule is ridiculous.

Perhaps the NHL is only pretending to want to take fighting out of the game.

Perhaps their research shows great fan enjoyment from this politically incorrect (and legally questionable) part of the game.

Guddy didn't look like he really wanted the fight but the Bruin did not give him a choice, and by not making the instigator call, the refs encourage fighting.

Of course this does not matter in the previous game with Dorse getting the instigator, because he is a Canuck.

The inconsistancy is atrocious and so foul that it leads to the belief that the Canucks get the worst treatment in the league, all the time.

This belief is reinforced, in my opinion (of course), when we see new players come to the team and look dazed and confused when they get punishments they would not have received previously.

If Pronger had played for Vancouver, he probably would had been permanently suspended, even possibly dragged into court.

End of the day, Guddy's guilty, and I do not expect any such leniency whatsoever.

These are the same biased people that handed out suspensions to lambs like Edler and Hansen, and nothing for Moore.

I expect at least 2 games maybe more, and only because (according to CDC) Gudbranson has not been suspended previously or it would be more.

And you know, the League has to make sure every Canuck who shows any physcial dominance gets a record asap so they can realy nail them next time.

Awesome post, goal. 

Archived