The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Well, one game is one game too much, but it could've been a lot worse. Let's hope that's what it is.

i dunno

guddy might actually have been given some sympathy

since his penalty did appear to cost the canucks that game

so they seem to have gone a bit lighter on him

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We may have different ideas about "dirty".  I call this a hit that had a bigger guy up against a smaller one who wasn't really commited to a direction...was going one way, but sort of had trouble grabbing the puck and halted a bit.

I don't think it was intentionally "dirty".  A bit careless maybe.

And the bad rep thing just supports the point that some of us are making here.  Refs are supposed to officiate without bias and with a clean sheet...NOT carry things over from game to game as they label them.

I don't think he "saw then went for his numbers".  I think that momentary hesitation factored in to presenting his numbers to him as he went in to make a hit.

your probably right there either way a better play could have been made.

16 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

It literally cost the Canucks the game, they'll likely be down a top 4 dman tonight against Buffalo and possibly Sunday against Detroit at a time when they can't afford that at all. And now hes on DoPS' radar and if this hit gets him 1-2 games the next infraction will probably be in the 5-7 range. Gudbranson has played nearly 350 NHL games so he's already gained any reputation he has and doesn't need to try and impress anybody with dumb hits that cost his team games.

you seem to forget he missed most of last season

and he is on a show me contract presently

he does need to reestablish his reputation

just read the boards here

people are all over the place over the past year about the value of gud

some still hate that trade

i have always liked it .. but even i am not clear on whether gud has a strong role moving forward

fast, skilled, puck moving dmen are in vogue

he needs to establish his value and presence as a desirable dman on an nhl team

and he has been doing that so far this season

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno

I think because it happened so early in the game, they may have "counted" it as one.

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno

nah. DOPS doesn't care about the game outcome. I think the only thing that saved him from a bigger suspension was Kassian's hit. If Guddy had got 3 or 4 games and Kas noting thats even too blatant for those chowder sucking scumbags in DoPS.

5 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Good.
So now we have documented ammunition for the rest of the season when something like this happens to one of our guys and there isn't even a penalty called.

We all know it's coming.....

Documented ammunition to do what exactly? Come on to CDC and whine and cry to each other about how there is some massive league-wide conspiracy against the Canucks?

I dunno. That's pretty soft. I think the size difference made a bigger difference than anything else, and he turned away from the hit. 

He'll probly get 1 game anyways, because in the new wimp NHL you grt penalized for hitting the fast midgets who are 'exciting.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nah. DOPS doesn't care about the game outcome. I think the only thing that saved him from a bigger suspension was Kassian's hit. If Guddy had got 3 or 4 games and Kas noting thats even too blatant for those chowder sucking scumbags in DoPS.

damn cynical

but you are likely correct

4 minutes ago, Shekky said:

your probably right there either way a better play could have been made.

Thing is, at game speed these things happen because there isn't a whole lot of time/room for assessing...

You're gliding in for a check on a guy going for the puck in this direction...he should, by all accounts, continue in that direction with the puck.   His skates both facing in the direction we'd assume he'd be going in.  In which case, Guddy's would be a shoulder to shoulder check.

22657564_486451115062631_1053120752_n.jp

But he fumbles the puck a bit, has to put on the brakes and sort of turns backward.  So Guddy didn't really have the ability to process all that info as he glided in for what should have been a routine check of a guy behind the net.  Again, a little careless, but my God...people saying it's dirty need to get over it.  Unless they are the second cousin of those officiating the game, in which case I don't imagine they will.

Notice his skates in this one?...he's put on the brakes to grab the puck and "decide" where he'll go with it.  So not really protecting himself against a hit in any way and actually turning his numbers toward Guddy rather than following in same direction he'd started in.  He owns some responsibility in this if we're going to scream foul here.

In slow mo and hindsight?  Sure.  But in game speed and with a change of direction and body positioning...happens.

22685093_486452268395849_485325971_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And Zack Kassian gets nothing.....great.

Lucky for Kass, he's not wearing a Canucks jersey any more. Looked like he could have broken the guy's neck. If I was a player and had the choice, I would much rather take the Guddy hit than the Kass hit.

2 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Predatory blindside hit to the head.
->Not even a penalty.

#bushleaguerefs

that was a playoff game and their was way more force into it and no penalty. Ducks are notorius for this kind of stuff too.

Archived