The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minor car accident, no damage. Report to ICBC?

Pepe Silvia

On the way to work this morning, a car beside me/in front of me swerved into my lane and hit my front bumper with his back bumper. We pulled over, I have zero damage, he has a slight dent and scratch on his. He apologized, admitted it was his fault. He said he could live with the damage and there's no reason to report this. We never exchanged information, but I took down the plate number. I've never been in an accident in 10+ years so I'm not really sure what to do. Should I report this to ICBC anyway, in case this guy does report it and try to make me at fault? Would it effect my rates? Any help would be great, thanks!

If it's not your fault, it shouldn't affect your rates.

Personally, I'm one to let bygones be bygones and I wouldn't report it. Not sure on the possibility of him wrongfully reporting it against you, but I'd think it's not that likely unless he's a real d-bag. 

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Tough call - if you don't report it, he can always stab you in the back with a hit and run claim. I'd report it to be safe. You don't have to make a claim, so it shouldn't impact your insurance rates.

^ this. Just phone it in so your side is on the record. 

42 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

On the way to work this morning, a car beside me/in front of me swerved into my lane and hit my front bumper with his back bumper. We pulled over, I have zero damage, he has a slight dent and scratch on his. He apologized, admitted it was his fault. He said he could live with the damage and there's no reason to report this. We never exchanged information, but I took down the plate number. I've never been in an accident in 10+ years so I'm not really sure what to do. Should I report this to ICBC anyway, in case this guy does report it and try to make me at fault? Would it effect my rates? Any help would be great, thanks!

you can actually do it online now: http://www.icbc.com/claims/Pages/Report-a-claim-online.aspx

Doesn't matter if you admitted fault here because he changed lanes. That makes him 100% at fault.

Don't feel guilty for doing what's best for you. Calling ICBC will protect you and give you the best option going forward. Repair your car if their is even a tiny scratch, you never know when something can start rusting... and if you might start feeling an injury in a couple days. 

The only reason you would not call ICBC is if you pursposefully want to contribute to something bad happening to you. 

Only time your rates are affected is if you make a claim using your own insurance. Clearly here, you wouldn't be. 

Had the same thing happen on Hwy 1 around the weigh scales. A guy changed lanes inadvertently and he rubbed up against my wheel well. Damage was minimal and he gave me $80 to not report it. I didn't, neither did he and bought myself and the old lady some nice steaks for dinner.

The issue here is what might happen if he lies about everything and then tries to fraudulently get it fixed.  Especially since it is near the rear, it is possible he could claim you hit him and if he does, it's pretty much instantly your fault being in the rear.  

With this said, at this point it is entirely your word against his - so you've already opened yourself up to getting scammed regardless of whether you report it or not.

Just now, D-Money said:

That's the point - you generally don't need it, until the one day you do.

So why not file the report, just in case?

Personally I just don't live by the just in case mantra but have nothing against it.

I would prefer to not bog down a system with largely unnecessary claims/reports.

Just now, RonMexico said:

Personally I just don't live by the just in case mantra but have nothing against it.

I would prefer to not bog down a system with largely unnecessary claims/reports.

The online reporting system is fully automated, so that's no longer an issue either. Someone will only pull the report if it comes up at some point in the future.

On this note, my wife had her vehicle heavily scratched in a parking lot last year. But it was on the passenger side, so she didn't even notice - I saw it the next day, and we reported it that evening. We were later told by our insurer (Meloche Monnex, here in Alberta) that if we had made a police report within 24 hours of the accident, they would have waived the deductible. We complained that it was unfair, as we were unaware of it until the day we made the claim, and ended up getting it waived. So the lesson is: don't mess around, just report it.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Why does everyone assume the worst? Not everyone on the road is a scammer; in fact most people aren't.

The issue is that you have no idea who is and who isn't. 
This guy was a complete stranger. Calling it in and therefore making a record of it is the thing to do, because if you don't, and the other person decides to take you for a ride, you're screwed. 

5 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

100% report it.  Call it in, report all the details you have, that there is no damage, and you don't need any repairs.  It covers your butt and won't screw the other person over.  Even if there is damage and repairs, the "at fault" party has the option to buy out the claim and not have it on their insurance.  You can't lose by reporting it.

Archived