The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minor car accident, no damage. Report to ICBC?

Pepe Silvia

Yup, you can report it but not wish to follow through on making a claim against his insurance. But, if you don't report it and anything happens then it could bite you in the ass.

And who knows, he could be one of those habitual offenders with lots of little bumps and it'll send up a red flag if you aren't the only one to report. Unlikely, but the automated report is on file either way if you do it now.

I drive an 06 ram 2500. Last years snowfall I VERY minorly rear ended a crossover SUV(forget what it was). Totally my fault. When we stopped immediately he jumped out and we exchanged information. Gave him my phone number and license plate number, apologized ect. He then proceded to take a TON of pictures on his phone. Crouching down and taking pics of his front wheel wells and my back. All the emblems on both vehicles from all angles, thought it was kind of weird. He then wanted to see my drivers license and insurance to take pics of that as well. I told him no, he's got enough information. Eventually when we parted ways  I made a comment  that it was lucky that no one got hurt. He said we'll see about that and i thought that was weird as well cause he was deffo taking pictures like nothing was wrong(crouching, getting down on one knee) He did make a claim against me and I cant remember exactly how much it was for, but I do know it was sub1200 dollars. The damage to my front bumper was so minimal that I didn't make a claim. What really pisses me off is that when I was contacted by ICBC, they told me he made a medical claim. I was incredulous!!! I told the lady on the phone what happened and she was taken back as well but said they will take care of it. I don't know what happened but was soooo pissed off that someone would try that.

Lesson learned...if anything happens like that again to me, I'm gonna take out my phone and start recording whats going on. Also, to write down what happened single spaced when I get home while it's still fresh in my mind. The bump was so small and damage so minimal, I have no doubt he was looking for more money.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:23 AM, Pepe Silvia said:

On the way to work this morning, a car beside me/in front of me swerved into my lane and hit my front bumper with his back bumper. We pulled over, I have zero damage, he has a slight dent and scratch on his. He apologized, admitted it was his fault. He said he could live with the damage and there's no reason to report this. We never exchanged information, but I took down the plate number. I've never been in an accident in 10+ years so I'm not really sure what to do. Should I report this to ICBC anyway, in case this guy does report it and try to make me at fault? Would it effect my rates? Any help would be great, thanks!

You should report it to ICBC right away. The guy can probably report to ICBC that you hit him from the back and ICBC would think it was your fault. My brother had a similar incident except he hit the guy in front with no damages. It was just a nudge at the stop light but the guy told ICBC that he had hit him from the back and told them he had neck sores even though the hit wasn't hard and it was only a slight bump. Now his insurance premium has increased and they guy probably got a couple of thousands. So you should go to ICBC and tell what happened before he puts in a claim. I don't trust anyone nowadays because people seem to try and take advantage of anything that happens.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, -AJ- said:

If it's not your fault, it shouldn't affect your rates.

Personally, I'm one to let bygones be bygones and I wouldn't report it. Not sure on the possibility of him wrongfully reporting it against you, but I'd think it's not that likely unless he's a real d-bag. 

Unfortunately, nice people are hard to find these days and Vancouver does have a lot of d-bags. I would let ICBC know just to be on the safe side.

8 hours ago, wiseupsucker said:

I drive an 06 ram 2500. Last years snowfall I VERY minorly rear ended a crossover SUV(forget what it was). Totally my fault. When we stopped immediately he jumped out and we exchanged information. Gave him my phone number and license plate number, apologized ect. He then proceded to take a TON of pictures on his phone. Crouching down and taking pics of his front wheel wells and my back. All the emblems on both vehicles from all angles, thought it was kind of weird. He then wanted to see my drivers license and insurance to take pics of that as well. I told him no, he's got enough information. Eventually when we parted ways  I made a comment  that it was lucky that no one got hurt. He said we'll see about that and i thought that was weird as well cause he was deffo taking pictures like nothing was wrong(crouching, getting down on one knee) He did make a claim against me and I cant remember exactly how much it was for, but I do know it was sub1200 dollars. The damage to my front bumper was so minimal that I didn't make a claim. What really pisses me off is that when I was contacted by ICBC, they told me he made a medical claim. I was incredulous!!! I told the lady on the phone what happened and she was taken back as well but said they will take care of it. I don't know what happened but was soooo pissed off that someone would try that.

Lesson learned...if anything happens like that again to me, I'm gonna take out my phone and start recording whats going on. Also, to write down what happened single spaced when I get home while it's still fresh in my mind. The bump was so small and damage so minimal, I have no doubt he was looking for more money.

Yup, thats what happened to my brother too. He was taken for a ride and they guy also put a medical claim for a slight nudge. We live in an expensive city with too many greedy people looking for money and anything they can get from the government or other people. I was pissed at my brother for not reporting it even though he had no damage at all, same with the other car. Now he has to pay higher premiums on his insurance as a result.

Archived