The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins being phased out more quickly than expected (VIDEO)

Canuck Clay

Hello fellow Canucks fans:

I've been posting these videos elsewhere on CDC (both in the "Creative and Media Forum" and in my own blog) so as to not pepper/annoy you here...but I did want to share this video in particular.

Are you surprised at how quickly the Sedins are being phased out?  And do you think it's a good thing?

Considering it's their last season it's not really that fast. The Canucks really haven't had a replacement for them in a while, the Sedins are 37 after all. Everyone likes to talk about Detroit as this great drafting team but they've yet to replace Zetterberg or Datsyuk either. 

I'm all for managing the twins' minutes.  I don't see it as a negative thing.  They were overplayed the past two seasons and the result was a drop in production during the last half of each season.  And they're another year older now.  I think they'd be more effective if they're kept fresh throughout the whole season.  Besides, it IS a rebuild.  Time to give more of their playing time to the younger players.

Green is rolling all 4 lines fairly evenly so I wouldn't say they're getting phased out any faster than they should be, but as you can see we have no first line anymore. This was Horvat's chance to take the reins and so far he hasn't really done that, whereas Burmistrov has really surprised a lot of people and rather than loading up all our best players on one line, Green is splitting them amongst the 4 lines.

We have no elite skill or talent anymore, Bo is close as is Boeser but apart from that there's not much on this team. Green knows it and he's using it to our advantage by playing all lines around the same amount of ice time per game. That includes dropping the Sedins from 18-20 minutes down to 10-15 which is where they should have been for a while.

Though I don't entirely agree with you; phasing out started last year, should have started around 2014-15 (they would have been sooo much better with a secondary role, less pressure, less ice-time, facing 2-3rd pairing defensemen ect... although I'm aware that there was no better option back then) but I liked your video very much. You're very likeable, has a good voice, you talk nice, so good luck to you on YT.

As someone that thought they needed to be phased out after the 2012 playoffs I don't consider this anywhere close to fast. I'm happy for what they brought to the team but I'm not gonna let nostalgia cloud the current decision making process, this is beyond overdue.

It's not so much that I think they are being phased out, I think the game is progressing beyond their abilities at this point. I would love to have them around for another 3 years during the transition of the newly drafted and developed players, however they seem a step behind amongst today's NHLers. They are extremely fit and do have flashes of brilliance still, but they truly do not deserve the top line minutes anymore based on their play (probably shouldn't be the first unit PP anymore either).

The fact that they need to be signed together will be a detriment towards them getting new contracts. I'm not sure if they expect to play together, but I think what would help their careers is finally to be split as they both still possess great vision, but need to find other players the puck rather than just each other. Plus it's hard to play two players with their pace in today's NHL.

31 minutes ago, spliced said:

As someone that thought they needed to be phased out after the 2012 playoffs I don't consider this anywhere close to fast. I'm happy for what they brought to the team but I'm not gonna let nostalgia cloud the current decision making process, this is beyond overdue.

Not to mention that with their contracts and NMCs they never were going to be phased out until this year.  It's too bad we don't have anyone biting at their marginal coattails, but Boeser is looking good so far.  It's an end of an era no doubt.

No not at all, last couple years they looked like 2nd/3rd liners at best and that said even if they are the most fit their game has slowed and they have not come up with new moves as they used to and why they are not as effective

I can see then hanging the skates up at years end, maybe one more year at most after this season

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Considering it's their last season it's not really that fast. The Canucks really haven't had a replacement for them in a while, the Sedins are 37 after all. Everyone likes to talk about Detroit as this great drafting team but they've yet to replace Zetterberg or Datsyuk either. 

There's a reason why Detroit hasn't drafted the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk!  Here is their last 20 years worth of 1st round picks:

2016: 20th
2015: 19th
2014: 15th
2013: 20th
2012: no pick
2011: no pick
2010: 21st
2009: no pick
2008: 30th
2007: 27th
2006: no pick
2005: 19th
2004: no pick
2003: no pick
2002: no pick
2001: no pick
2000: 29th
1999: no pick
1998: 25th

1997: no pick

You have to go back another 7 drafts before they have their first top-10 pick (and that was #10 of course).

It's amazing that they have been so good for so long.  With picks like those, they should be far worse than us right now.

With all due respect I hope they retire at seasons end. I mean have you watched them go for a loose puck? They lose that race 9/10

i dont want to watch them deteriorate  into a complete liability 

“walk away from the game before the game walks away from you” - lidstrom

The fact that their minutes are being managed means we've finally turned the corner away from relying on them until others step up. 

This is not only what we've been waiting for but also what the Sedins have said publicly they wanted to see.

So, yes, they are indeed being phased out in a respectful and intelligent way that maximizes their remaining skill to be effective. 

K0mJJwV.gif

I agree with most people here - it's not a 'phase out' - it's moderating their roles as younger players emerge.

They're not going to be killing penalties - and they're probably not going to eat up the majority of the powerplay minutes - so combine that with tempering their 5 on 5 minutes, with more viable depth than the team has had in some time, and a commitment to being a four line, up tempo team and it simpy translates into middle six minutes for them.

Not surprised at all - expected it - and the team is finally young and deep enough to make the progression.

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

There's a reason why Detroit hasn't drafted the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk!  Here is their last 20 years worth of 1st round picks:

2016: 20th
2015: 19th
2014: 15th
2013: 20th
2012: no pick
2011: no pick
2010: 21st
2009: no pick
2008: 30th
2007: 27th
2006: no pick
2005: 19th
2004: no pick
2003: no pick
2002: no pick
2001: no pick
2000: 29th
1999: no pick
1998: 25th

1997: no pick

You have to go back another 7 drafts before they have their first top-10 pick (and that was #10 of course).

It's amazing that they have been so good for so long.  With picks like those, they should be far worse than us right now.

They drafted Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the 6th and 7th rounds, so they could still find the next one's without the top end picks. Problem is that they were ahead of the times in drafting and now more teams have caught on making it harder to pick those late round gems before another team does.

Archived