The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins being phased out more quickly than expected (VIDEO)

Canuck Clay

Phased out? So what if they are getting less ice time? 

They are STILL the leaders of this team and will be until they retire. There's no better leaders and there never will be until they are retired. Can not replace the Sedins. 

They're great and I hope they stick around a bit longer, but I want Bo and the next leadership group to take what works from their style and also add their own elements.  I don't want to ever see a repeat of "get them on the power play" in the playoffs with team leaders getting their faces speedbagged with no consequences.

There's a lot to learn from them about class and work ethic.  But there are elements to a Linden / Smyl / Iginla / Scott Stevens style of team that aren't there in the Sedin leadership style.

Anyone who thinks the Sedins will retire for sure this season.....should take a look at tickets for the last 2-3 games of the year, prices are very cheap.

If the Sedins do announce this is their last year....there will be high demand for the last games.  Triple your money.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, ArkDepot said:

They're still on pace for 40-50 point seasons, even with 20% less ice time.

It looks good on them too. They're fresher. 

Last game was their best this year, imo.  I don't see them getting 50 points; they'll be in the 30-35 range.  Maybe 40 if the pp mysteriously improves and Virt or someone similar chases pucks and backchecks for them.  This is their last year. 

It isn't just about the number of points they get.  They cannot defend anymore.  The new rules on faceoffs helps in that one area, but really, they are done.  One hell of a send off is coming their way in April/May.  

They are being phased out quickly, but I believe that was the plan coming into the season. Jim Benning, Trevor Linden, and Travis Green all probably trying to see what they have right now with the younger guys and in the future potential wise. It is a good thing for the franchise and the Sedins are great people so I am sure they are fine with it.

16 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Anyone who thinks the Sedins will retire for sure this season.....should take a look at tickets for the last 2-3 games of the year, prices are very cheap.

If the Sedins do announce this is their last year....there will be high demand for the last games.  Triple your money.

IDK man.

I agree with attendance going up, but I bet it's still a sea of red in there of empty seats. 

I think that 'phased out' is a mis-characterization of the reduced role they are playing on the ice.

They are progressing into more of a support role as far as their physical abilities go but are still leaders of the team (and community) in every other respect.  Arguably the transition into support roles on ice should have started 2 or 3 years ago but there was simply no one on the team at the time to take up the slack.

They now play a similar role to the one Sundin played when we got him.  Not a liability, help control play, contribute offensively and be an example of what it is to be a consummate professional and winner.

We'll be lucky to have them in support as long as they are not liabilities and I'm sure they will retire by then.

Depending on who we're playing, they will play anywhere from 2nd line down to 4th line minutes. We are going with speed this year and three Sedins are strong skaters but they have never been overly fast skaters. I like what JV is bringing to that line, I could see the addition of his speed to their line, extending their careers a year or two. 

I think it has become apparent that the Sedins are not even close to the players they used to be.  As a result of being less productive, they are being played less.  Seems like a natural thing to occur, all things considered.  While I think we owe it to them to not move them and have them retire as Canucks, we don't owe them ice time if it means the team will suffer as a result, and I don't think you'll hear any complaint from them because of it.  They are professionals, and want what is best with the team - though I'm sure it must be difficult to be sitting on the bench so much considering they were considered a couple of the best players in the league just a few years ago.

While a year ago I thought given their devotion to the team, their training regimen, and their inherent remaining talent that they would be able to be strong (though not elite) contributors, it does appear their time in the NHL is drawing to a somewhat more-than-expected abrupt close. Given that I imagine their main goal was to see through the transition, if we DO continue performing at the current level I believe they will admit their job is complete and they are likely to retire at the end of the season.

Archived