The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Watch

Roberts

42 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What time of the year was that? from November on this team was near the bottom.  We went on that 9 game loosing stream and never recovered.  We had a 2 week span in Jan where we went from 6th worse to 13th worst but then quick shot back down to bottom 5. 

I think that was probably the timeframe I was thinking of.  I know there was a time when we were only a few points out of a playoff spot and it looked like if all the stars aligned we might have gotten in.  But if I remember correctly, we put together strings of multiple losses which ended that position quickly.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter.  Most everyone else was right, and I was proven wrong; we were not competitive at all.  But I guess the offseason and the changes reignited my belief that we will improve, and until I'm proven otherwise again, I'm sticking with that mindset.  Don't get me wrong - we aren't going to be a "good" team for at least another couple of seasons.  But I grew weary of the snoozefest that was almost the entire season last year.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

This is a team I have been waiting for since the 90's. Hard working , hard hitting and very difficult to play against. A team that coincidentally does well in the playoffs as well. How else can you explain Dorsett's standing in the points department? ::D 

We have Boeser as our Bure, Bo as our Linden, Gudbranson as our Babych, Sutter is our Greg Adams and Virt is our Momesso. We just need a Lumme and a McLean and we are good to go. :P

That would be Juolevi and Demko.  But...we're still some years away from that happening.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be Juolevi and Demko.  But...we're still some years away from that happening.

I will be impressed when they shed the "prospects" tag, let alone become impact players. I'm guessing that the odds are that one of the two will do this, not both. 

The Jirkster was not an Oli-type player anyways. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I will be impressed when they shed the "prospects" tag, let alone become impact players. I'm guessing that the odds are that one of the two will do this, not both. 

Mr. Stech may be more of a Jyrki then Ollie for sure. I guess only time will tell if he develops further to that level.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is a team I have been waiting for since the 90's. Hard working , hard hitting and very difficult to play against. A team that coincidentally does well in the playoffs as well. How else can you explain Dorsett's standing in the points department? ::D 

We have Boeser as our Bure, Bo as our Linden, Gudbranson as our Babych, Sutter is our Greg Adams and Virt is our Momesso. We just need a Lumme and a McLean and we are good to go. :P

Boeser as Bure? Haha goodnight.

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lumme was a 3rd round pick who had the luxury of developing on his own timeline and without being under a microscope.  He didn't make into the NHL until he was 23yrs old. 

Juolevi will very likely be a good player for the Canucks, but, like you have said, it is too early to tell if he'll be an impact player.  He's just 19yrs old, so he's still got a few years of developmental time ahead of him.

56 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think that was probably the timeframe I was thinking of.  I know there was a time when we were only a few points out of a playoff spot and it looked like if all the stars aligned we might have gotten in.  But if I remember correctly, we put together strings of multiple losses which ended that position quickly.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter.  Most everyone else was right, and I was proven wrong; we were not competitive at all.  But I guess the offseason and the changes reignited my belief that we will improve, and until I'm proven otherwise again, I'm sticking with that mindset.  Don't get me wrong - we aren't going to be a "good" team for at least another couple of seasons.  But I grew weary of the snoozefest that was almost the entire season last year.

The upcoming homestand will be a pretty solid indication of where this team is. Washington, Dallas, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh are all playing good hockey. If the Canucks blueline can keep holding the fort down using the various strengths that each paring bring to the table, the outcome should be interesting. As well, the more aggressive play that the Canucks have exhibited should be a test for the teams visiting.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The upcoming homestand will be a pretty solid indication of where this team is. Washington, Dallas, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh are all playing good hockey. If the Canucks blueline can keep holding the fort down using the various strengths that each paring bring to the table, the outcome should be interesting. As well, the more aggressive play that the Canucks have exhibited should be a test for the teams visiting.

Largely agree, but with Stecher and Edler being out of out of the lineup I'm not sure this is an ideal time to be bringing out the measuring stick when gauging our defense.  Still - injuries happen and ya gotta battle through them so we'll see how it goes...

I fully expect that as contending teams like the Oilers and Ducks hit their stride that we will start to fall in the standings and likely be out of a playoff spot at the end of the year.  With that said, it has been amazing to see the changes that Green has made to this team, and how much more exciting and competitive they are.  All I want out of this season is:

-Our games are entertaining and worth watching

-Our young guys on the roster show well

-Our trade able assets get moved for prospects and picks at the deadline

-Our young prospects in the AHL, Europe, CHL, and NCAA continue to develop at high levels

-We beat the leafs twice

If we make the playoffs, all the better, otherwise we end up with a high pick in a deep draft.

50 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Boeser as Bure? Haha goodnight.

Ok you are probably taking this the wrong way. Not that he may or may not have such a great career as Mr. Bure but that in a sense that he is a "sniper' type player that this team is lacking is more to what I was alluding to. If you look at both in this respect you cannot deny that if they are afforded a quality shot on the net there is a very good chance that they will score more times then not. You get it now?:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Largely agree, but with Stecher and Edler being out of out of the lineup I'm not sure this is an ideal time to be bringing out the measuring stick when gauging our defense.  Still - injuries happen and ya gotta battle through them so we'll see how it goes...

This is the defense that will be facing the aforementioned teams, so it will be interesting to see how they do. Edler, while experienced, isn't exactly the lynchpin that many make him out to be. Even when Edler and Stecher were in the lineup, I found the Del Zotto - Gudbranson pairing to be the most dynamic and effective.

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I fully expect that as contending teams like the Oilers and Ducks hit their stride that we will start to fall in the standings and likely be out of a playoff spot at the end of the year.  With that said, it has been amazing to see the changes that Green has made to this team, and how much more exciting and competitive they are.  All I want out of this season is:

-Our games are entertaining and worth watching

-Our young guys on the roster show well

-Our trade able assets get moved for prospects and picks at the deadline

-Our young prospects in the AHL, Europe, CHL, and NCAA continue to develop at high levels

-We beat the leafs twice

If we make the playoffs, all the better, otherwise we end up with a high pick in a deep draft.

I like your thinking, especially that last one. That alone will make this season a success or not. ::D

Just now, EdgarM said:

Ok you are probably taking this the wrong way. Not that he may or may not have such a great career as Mr. Bure but that in a sense that he is a "sniper' type player that this team is lacking is more to what I was alluding to. If you look at both in this respect you cannot deny that if they are afforded a quality shot on the net there is a very good chance that they will score more times then not. You get it now?:rolleyes:

Boeser is good, Bure was great. I would never compare them. Patrick Kane is more like Bure. Boeser is more like Patrick Sharp than Patrick Kane.

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Boeser is good, Bure was great. I would never compare them. Patrick Kane is more like Bure. Boeser is more like Patrick Sharp than Patrick Kane.

The Sedins were "good" players when they first entered the NHL and they soon turned into "great" players. Its much too early to say Boeser will just remain a "good" player or turn into a "great" player.

If we are making real comparisons I see Boeser as a Selanne more then a Patrick Sharp, but again, too early to make any comparison at this point.

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I like your thinking, especially that last one. That alone will make this season a success or not. ::D

I love this team, watch every game and hate to see them lose.  With that said, part of me is jealous of seeing the Coyotes right now, knowing the are going to end up with a guaranteed top 4 pick.

Archived