The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Watch

Roberts

3 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

That's the thing around here you got either homers or haters. The realist are waiting til mid season to post. 

No such thing as realists. They are just pessimists who don't want the negative connotation associated with pessimism.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Largely agree, but with Stecher and Edler being out of out of the lineup I'm not sure this is an ideal time to be bringing out the measuring stick when gauging our defense.  Still - injuries happen and ya gotta battle through them so we'll see how it goes...

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team reacts to having two main defensemen out for an extended period of time. This homestand coming up, and then the next 5 on the road...if we emerge from that above .500, like say 20-22 points, then I believe we can start figuring out if 1) Edler can be moved, 2) one of Burmy or Gagner moved, and 3) can Goldobin come up on a full time basis so that Vanek can be moved. Right now, I feel good about the Tanev-MDZ pairing, and the Hutton-Guddy pairing; if Puiiott and/or Weircioch pan out, then so much the better. If below that, or well below...stay the course and keep drooling about getting Dahlin. If better than that...well, we can cross that bridge then.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Nah, Deb already rapped me lightly on the knuckles for something similar and I am chicken.

I was waiting for you to call me Gollum. Hahahaha. Honestly, I was commenting more on the quoted poster's disposition (being pissed that there were fans thinking playoffs after 8 games) than thinking that they were a troll.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was waiting for you to call me Gollum. Hahahaha. Honestly, I was commenting more on the quoted poster's disposition (being pissed that there were fans thinking playoffs after 8 games) than thinking that they were a troll.

I have been thinking playoffs from the start. 

5 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team reacts to having two main defensemen out for an extended period of time. This homestand coming up, and then the next 5 on the road...if we emerge from that above .500, like say 20-22 points, then I believe we can start figuring out if 1) Edler can be moved, 2) one of Burmy or Gagner moved, and 3) can Goldobin come up on a full time basis so that Vanek can be moved. Right now, I feel good about the Tanev-MDZ pairing, and the Hutton-Guddy pairing; if Puiiott and/or Weircioch pan out, then so much the better. If below that, or well below...stay the course and keep drooling about getting Dahlin. If better than that...well, we can cross that bridge then.

Hutton-Guddy was terrible last year?

35 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Really? playoff?

UB1eV.gif

You had to put the ugliest face you could find on here didn't you.  

Words cannot describe what a jackass Stephen A Smith is.  Thanks for reminding me of him.

Playoffs?  

NiW5RY.gif

This upcoming home stand I'd be impressed with a 2-2 performance. I expect we'd only win 1 if the Canucks are to regress to what we saw last season, but who knows they may surprise. With 2 top 4 D out though, man it's going to be tough against some really good teams.

4 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Yes...last year. Screw the "advanced" stats, Guddy is playing quite well. Hutton seems to have caught on the last couple of games.  So, yeah, I feel good about those pairings...so far.

Hutton has been playing with Tanev those last games.  They've been a pairing in Buffalo after Gudbranson was suspended and have been kept together since.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 9:08 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah it's certainly early and this likely isn't sustainable. 20-25 games is usually my minimum sample size before making any serious judgement. We could very well lose 8 of the next 11 and nobody will be planning for playoff games.

Good on the team if they buck the odds but I don't see happening. Middling PK, 28th PP, middling goal differential (and that's after this short win streak, it will almost certainly regress back to the mean). Not a recipe for a playoffs. 

But if they keep playing something close to this brand of hockey with this amount of 'try', I'll keep tuning in. Win or lose :)

Fast approaching the 20 game mark and presently out of the playoffs and as predicted, goal differential has regressed back in the red, the PP is 4th from the bottom and the PK is 7th from the bottom.

We're starting to get a large enough sample size to have a better understanding of where this team averages out to and presently, that's as a bottom 10 +/- team. 

Again, a bubble playoff, 15th-21st +/- team if we get lucky, things go well, we stay pretty healthy etc. A 21st-31st team if those things don't happen (as they haven't the last couple years).

Now we certainly have more/better depth this year to cover some of that but in all likelihood that's the difference of landing bottom 10 rather than bottom 5 when it all shakes out. We should have an even clearer picture in the next 3-8 games.

Archived