The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Thatcher Demko and Patrick Wiercioch

-Vintage Canuck-

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled defenceman Patrick Wiercioch and goaltender Thatcher Demko from the Utica Comets.

Wiercioch, 27, has registered a goal in two games with the Comets this season. In 2016.17, he appeared in 57 games for Colorado, registering 12 points (4-8-12). His four goals ranked third among Avalanche defencemen while his 12 points ranked fifth. Prior to joining Colorado in 2016, the 6-5, 202-pound defenceman spent five seasons with the Ottawa Senators. In 268 career NHL games over parts of six seasons, Wiercioch has registered 74 points (16-58-74). 

Demko, 21, has appeared in four games for the Comets this season, posting a record of 3-1-0. His 1.26 GAA ranks fifth in the AHL to date. He made his professional debut last season, posting a record of 22-17-4, .907 save percentage and 2.68 GAA with the Comets, which also included a six-game winning streak in the month of March.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-recall-wiercioch-demko/c-292202398

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Comets don’t play again until Saturday.  With the club back east, it’s a good idea to give Thatcher some time with the big club for a couple days.  Love to see him actually play though, but seriously doubt it.

I think you've pretty much nailed it here Alf, Demko won't likely see any game time.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Comets don’t play again until Saturday.  With the club back east, it’s a good idea to give Thatcher some time with the big club for a couple days.  Love to see him actually play though, but seriously doubt it.

That's the ticket alright......he will be shipped back Friday unless Marky got a hammy....

Just now, Bigturk8 said:

Can anyone explain this too me? This seems like a finer point of cap manipulation and I don't really understand it.

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

Just now, tas said:

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

I appreciate you.

1 minute ago, Bigturk8 said:

I appreciate you.

this is basically the only way the gillis/gilman era teams could exist, switching around rosters on paper and maximizing ltir relief. otherwise it just wouldn't have worked. 

Archived