The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Thatcher Demko and Patrick Wiercioch

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Can anyone explain this too me? This seems like a finer point of cap manipulation and I don't really understand it.

This is how CapFriendly explains it.............

The ACSL will always be less than or (in the optimal scenario) equal to the league upper limit. The closer the ACSL is to the league upper limit, the greater the team will be able to exceed the upper limit.

How is LTIR Relief calculated?

LTIR relief comes in the form of two values: a salary relief pool, and a performance bonus relief pool.

These pools are determined the day the player is placed on LTIR. The salary relief pool is the player’s averaged salary excluding performance bonuses (their cap hit value). The performance bonus relief is the player’s total performance bonuses for this season (games played, A and B bonuses), regardless of if they are still achievable.

What if the team already has a player on LTIR?
The teams ACSL remains the same, and their salary relief pool increases by the player’s cap hit, and the performance bonus relief pool increases by the player’s performance bonuses.

How does a team use the base salary and performance bonus relief pools?

As explained above, two pools are created when a player is placed on LTIR, a salary pool, and a performance bonus pool. If recalling a player would result in the team exceeding the ACSL, the team must have enough relief in the necessary pools. Only the players achievable performance bonuses are considered when they are recalled, for example, if a player has an 82 games played performance bonus of $500,000, and it is impossible for them to achieve those 82 games, the $500,000 performance bonus is no longer considered.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Comets don’t play again until Saturday.  With the club back east, it’s a good idea to give Thatcher some time with the big club for a couple days.  Love to see him actually play though, but seriously doubt it.

That makes sense.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That makes sense.

Judging by the explanation I received about the cap management, I don't think they even intend to fly him out. I think he'll just be sent down right after Edler and Eriksson are put on LTIR, and he'll never actually leave Utica.

16 minutes ago, tas said:

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

Thanks for excellent explanation...

If you ask Canucks fans they say we have no goalie prospects we are crap we can't win I gotta go home it's my bath time.... 

Eddie Lack gave us Guillaume Brisebois

Corey Schiender gave us Bo Horvat 

Roberto gave us Jacob 

I'm just poking a dead horse for crap and giggles but I love seeing kids like Demko in our system because it was not even 10 years ago when we had 

Raycroft

Sanford

Laberbera

Sabourin

Macintyre......

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Comets don’t play again until Saturday.  With the club back east, it’s a good idea to give Thatcher some time with the big club for a couple days.  Love to see him actually play though, but seriously doubt it.

edit: nvm just saw Rick Dhaliwals' tweet recall only for one day.  too bad. 

8 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

If you ask Canucks fans they say we have no goalie prospects we are crap we can't win I gotta go home it's my bath time.... 

Roberto gave us Jacob 

I'm just poking a dead horse for crap and giggles but I love seeing kids like Demko in our system because it was not even 10 years ago when we had 

Raycroft

Sanford

Laberbera

Sabourin

Macintyre......

those were all just stop gap backups (both nhl and ahl) that held down the fort while schneider developed and there was no point investing in much of a backup when luongo was playing 70+ games. 

this guys are comparable to nilsson and bachman not demko. 

57 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

They just rewarding him with a little higher pay for a few days?

They could have called up anyone to get them closer to the cap limit, but I really like the fact that they gave him the call up as a reward for his great play so far. I haven't watched any games so far this year, just highlights, but he looks to be in mid-season form already.

11 minutes ago, tas said:

those were all just stop gap backups (both nhl and ahl) that held down the fort while schneider developed and there was no point investing in much of a backup when luongo was playing 70+ games. 

this guys are comparable to nilsson and bachman not demko. 

True but after the cup run I just got tired that the new hot thing is being a Canucks fans and everyday it's win the cup or destroy the city never just enjoying where we started to quote a poet "Started from the bottom now we're here"

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

Now why would canucks need all that cap space? 

Trading juolevi for duchene?! Please god no! Say it ain’t so!

could also be for Galchenyuk.... Im hoping Jim gets his revenge on Bergevin for that $50,000 whine fest. 

I wonder what the actual relief number will be once they add up Edler, Loui and Stecher?

And not OJ for Chucky, Sutter though would be a deal I'd make. 

21 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Roberto gave us Jacob 

Raycroft

Sanford

Laberbera

Sabourin

Macintyre......

LaBarbera played well for us.  So did Raycroft for that matter.  I know they weren't long term investments, but I was confident when both were in net.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could also be for Galchenyuk.... Im hoping Jim gets his revenge on Bergevin for that $50,000 whine fest. 

I wonder what the actual relief number will be once they add up Edler, Loui and Stecher?

I'm on a Montreal msg forum and that city is ready to hunt down MB and burn him at the stake. It's not even funny. The fans there are WAY worse than I've ever seen fans of this team. 
Galchenyuk is a serious whipping boy. He probably doesn't even know which way is up at this point. 1st line one day, demoted to the dog house the next... kid needs to get the heck out of there before he's destroyed. Would welcome him with open arms!

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

They just rewarding him with a little higher pay for a few days?

Yes. You are right. He deserves a reward for his play.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/thatcher-demko

THATCHER DEMKO

Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks

Goaltender
Cap Hit: $925,000
Accumulated Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $0
Remaining Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $0

BORN: December 8, 1995
BIRTHPLACE: San Diego, California, United States
HEIGHT: 6'4 (193 cm)
WEIGHT: 194 lbs (88 kg)
CATCHES:Left
ELC SIGNING AGE: 20
WAIVERS SIGNING AGE: 21
DRAFT YEAR: 2014
DRAFTED OVERALL: 36
DRAFT ROUND: 2
DRAFTED BY: VAN

CURRENT CONTRACTS

ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

LENGTH: 3 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: Vancouver Canucks
VALUE: $8,825,000
C.H.% q.svg: 1.30
SIGNING DATE: April 20, 2016
SOURCE: CapFriendly
SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2016-17   $925,000 $2,941,667 $1,350,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
2017-18   $925,000 $2,941,667 $1,850,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
2018-19   $925,000 $2,941,667 $2,850,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
CONTRACT NOTE: 'A' Bonuses max. earnable per season $850,000 & 'B' Bonuses max. earnable per season 2016-17: $500,000, 2017-18: $1,000,000, 2018-19: $2,000,000

Archived