The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Thatcher Demko and Patrick Wiercioch

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

I'm assuming you meant Reinhart.

I'd take Reinhart because of his age, his production on a weak team so far, and the fact he's a Vancouver boy.

Duchene isn't the right age to fit our plan, and Kane would cost too much considering we could sign him for free next summer. We also need a center at this point, not more wingers.

Thanks for catching that typo

I agree, I think the Van connection would benefit us and him

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Gagner keeps us at the bottom feeder level.  Kane makes us bottom five to ten.  Duchene gets us to bottom 10 to 15.  Considering we are rebuilding, and need to draft more elite talent, I’d say Gagner is my choice.

Sorry Alf I meant Rhienhart out of Buff

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Sorry Alf I meant Rhienhart out of Buff

Oh.  Yes, I’ve always liked him, plus he fits in age wise with our next core.  He hasn’t really progressed though, so maybe we could get him for not too much, like with Granny?

Oh.  Yes, I’ve always liked him, plus he fits in age wise with our next core.  He hasn’t really progressed though, so maybe we could get him for not too much, like with Granny?

I don't see them undervaluing a 21 year old former 2nd overall pick that much.

Considering he put up more points than Duchene last season and is younger, I don't see how Buffalo wouldn't be asking for a similar ransom.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don't see them undervaluing a 21 year old former 2nd overall pick that much.

Considering he put up more points than Duchene last season and is younger, I don't see how Buffalo wouldn't be asking for a similar ransom.

I think Duchene is a proven centre, while Sam is looking to be a winger.  I’d do Hutton straight across for Sam.  

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather re-sign him now that he's showing exactly why we traded for him.

Exactly. Looking like a young Willie Mitchell.

You don't trade players like that. We'd just have to pay a premium to acquire them later.

I think Duchene is a proven centre, while Sam is looking to be a winger.  I’d do Hutton straight across for Sam.  

I would too, problem is I highly doubt Buffalo would.

How would it look to trade a 2nd overall pick from 3 years ago for an average D-man like Hutton? How would you react as a fan if the Canucks were to make a move like that?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Exactly. Looking like a young Willie Mitchell.

You don't trade players like that. We'd just have to pay a premium to acquire them later.

A meaner Willie.    Couldn't agree more now that I read your earlier post although Hutton is at least willing to try to push back.

4 hours ago, tas said:

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

Gilman is that you?

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would too, problem is I highly doubt Buffalo would.

How would it look to trade a 2nd overall pick from 3 years ago for an average D-man like Hutton? How would you react as a fan if the Canucks were to make a move like that?

Guddy was third overall.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy was third overall.

Guddy wasn't 21 and the Panthers could afford to trade him with the emergence of Ekblad. They also received some pretty solid future pieces (McCann has 5 points in 7 games)

Much different situation. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Guddy wasn't 21 and the Panthers could afford to trade him with the emergence of Ekblad. They also received some pretty solid future pieces (McCann has 5 points in 7 games)

Much different situation. 

Yakupov was first over all.  My point is maybe Sam doesn’t have great value because he’s coming up to his second contract?  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Only if they know he's not willing to re-sign here long term.

He's showing his value this season as a steady shutdown guy that can protect our goalie and drop the mitts. This team has needed what he brings to the table for awhile. Especially if we keep putting players like Tanev, Stecher, and Hutton in the lineup, who have almost no pushback.

I worry he will wait out the year and resign in Florida.

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gagner keeps us at the bottom feeder level.  Kane makes us bottom five to ten.  Duchene gets us to bottom 10 to 15.  Considering we are rebuilding, and need to draft more elite talent, I’d say Gagner is my choice.

I like the idea of Duchene for some of our current roster guys (e.g, Sutter and Baer or Sutter and Hutton) because he has been and could be close to "elite" for us as a possession C that can get the pucks to our younger snipers. Sure he's 2 years older than you'd like but he could still easily be around for the next wave. I think we can get Kane for free, or at least there's enough of a chance. But I'd prefer to get Galchenyuk over Duchene, and Chucky might be worth something like Hutton and a 2nd. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

Wow. Super explanation bud. Thank you.

Archived