The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikhail Sergachev , best Dman 2016 draft?

Ichiban604

Which Dman would you rather have?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mikhail Sergachev is having a great start with his new team and his rookie year. So far in 10 games he have 9pts (4g,5a) and a +plus 4, helping Tampa to a record  8W,1L, and 1. We didn't draft the offensive talented D and went with Juolevi instead. Time will tell if we made the correct chose, but since we been looking for a offensive D the past few yrs, why didn't we draft him?

To be fair, it was pretty much acknowledged by everyone that Sergachev was the more offensively talented of the two, Juolevi was the safe choice.

Sergachev  is looking real good (Which is good for me, I own him in a keeper league ^.^ ) but way to early to say who will be the better overall D. Juolevi will likely not beat Serg with offensive numbers but he could develop into a Suter type D, plays ton of minutes, all situations and puts up respectable numbers.

Compared to other teams our prospects are a little bit late to the party. But that's okay. We're watching Virtanen and Boeser grow before our very eyes and it's a treat to watch. Ten games is a small sample size. Give it a couple years but I'm still going with Juolevi. Sergachev is having a great start but playing with Stamkos & Kucherov and the countless other players on TB does give you its benefits.

Give Olli some time to develop physically. Spending a season under the watchful eye of Salo will do wonders for him. This kid is going to be the defencemen we've been waiting so long for. Let him grow.

And why hasn't anyone taking Kole Lind?

One year removed from their draft year and we're having this talk? It was even said in the draft year Sergachev was the most NHL ready. Doesn't mean he's going to be better. Give Olli some more time to marinade. The kid has an incredibly high ceiling and is going to be a beast for the Canucks. 

20 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Just to be clear... you are trying to evaluate players' careers, at just on season after they were drafted?

OP wants to evaluate players' careers on like 10 games played, not even one season!!!

It's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Ichiban604 said:

Mikhail Sergachev is having a great start with his new team and his rookie year. So far in 10 games he have 9pts (4g,5a) and a +plus 4, helping Tampa to a record  8W,1L, and 1. We didn't draft the offensive talented D and went with Juolevi instead. Time will tell if we made the correct chose, but since we been looking for a offensive D the past few yrs, why didn't we draft him?

Three reasons:

• He wasn't ranked ahead of Juolevi at the time of the draft
  • No one has a crystal ball and revisionist drafting is pretty easy to do
  • Comparing two players this early out of the gate in their careers is the same logic that was used by those writing off Virtanen and many before him throughout the NHL

Canucks, and 7 other teams, did not draft MS - so what?   Until your team's player actually has the benefit of his own development path completed this is nothing more than a veiled way of slamming your own team and the player  they chose. 

Guess some of you need something to do now that Virtanen has emerged.  

4 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Jamie Benn, a Kelowna hometown favourite, was drafted in the 5th round... I lost my voice yelling at the TV, while watching that 2007 draft.

I believe he can, arguably, be described as a better hockey player than the 128 players chosen before him, though that draft year is pretty stacked.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Sergachev has been splitting time with Stralman and Hedman as his D partner and is on a PP that features Kucherov, Stammer, Point, Tyler Johnson, Namestnikov among others. He's good, but would he be putting up points in Vancouver?

This. You guys gotta realize that once a player comes to Vancouver after a statistically good season you can expect their numbers to drop off. Sam gagner is a prime example. The Canucks just don't have the kind of players that make other players better. 

6 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

To be fair, it was pretty much acknowledged by everyone that Sergachev was the more offensively talented of the two, Juolevi was the safe choice.

Sergachev  is looking real good (Which is good for me, I own him in a keeper league ^.^ ) but way to early to say who will be the better overall D. Juolevi will likely not beat Serg with offensive numbers but he could develop into a Suter type D, plays ton of minutes, all situations and puts up respectable numbers.

Juolevi is not as nasty as Suter, nobody likes playing against him.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Three reasons:

• He wasn't ranked ahead of Juolevi at the time of the draft
  • No one has a crystal ball and revisionist drafting is pretty easy to do
  • Comparing two players this early out of the gate in their careers is the same logic that was used by those writing off Virtanen and many before him throughout the NHL

Canucks, and 7 other teams, did not draft MS - so what?   Until your team's player actually has the benefit of his own development path completed this is nothing more than a veiled way of slamming your own team and the player  they chose. 

Guess some of you need something to do now that Virtanen has emerged.  

Has Virtanen arrived?

I hope he doesn't think that.  He looks like he's getting it but players know they have to bring it every day for their entire career.

Archived