The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the Canucks new players (VIDEO)

Canuck Clay

vanek has been exactly what i thought.

delzotto has been good not great. 

burmy is a poor mans granlund to me. Better player than i thought

gagner has been invisible

nilsson has been what i hoped from him. 2 shutouts in 3 starts deserves a gold star

MDZ and Pouliot are quite solid.

Nilsson is the best of the new signings.

Burmistrov is a reliable centre for 3rd/4th line, even 2nd line.

Vanek is average, but he scored twice.

The worst is Gagner in this moment. Since only 9 games, need more time to see what is going.

Overall the new signings made Canucks to a good direction.

If Vanek keeps it up he will bring a decent return come deadline

MDZ has been very solid

Burmestrov has been a viable Gaunce replacement maybe even better.

Gagner I don't even know what he does, is even a hockey player?

Pouliot has been better than expected

Nilsson I don't know what to make of yet. 

To date, I think MDZ has been the best signing.  I would rate it a B+ signing at this stage.  He has provided far, far move value than what might have initially been expected of him.  With Edler out, the team is really leaning on him already and he seems to be up to the task.

Nilsson has obviously been good with his 2 shutouts but it's still really early.  A B+ signing at this stage, IMHO.  At minimum, he has been a good signing to help push Markstrom and to create real competition in the crease.

I have liked Burmistrov's game so far.  He gets a B- in my books.  He took a couple of bad penalties in the Detroit and Buffalo games, but he is otherwise a solid forward and has shown good skill when placed with linemates who can play a skilled game with pace.  Doesn't create as many chances as what he will probably need to do to turn heads, but he generally makes the team better.

Vanek gets a C+ from me.  He has played decently but there are moments where he seems every bit the aging former star player, complete with moments of carelessness.  When he's competing though, he's still very good, and if it wasn't for his lack of foot speed, I think he could be even more of a contributor.

Like most people are saying, Gagner has been the most disappointing of the signing so far and he gets a C from me for now.  Versatility was one of the things cited as a positive for him, but I think it's also been one of his problems this season.  The guy keeps getting moved around not only different lines but in different positions.  Of course, excuses can't be used forever but I think he should be given more time.

25 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

To date, I think MDZ has been the best signing.  I would rate it a B+ signing at this stage.  He has provided far, far move value than what might have initially been expected of him.  With Edler out, the team is really leaning on him already and he seems to be up to the task.

Nilsson has obviously been good with his 2 shutouts but it's still really early.  A B+ signing at this stage, IMHO.  At minimum, he has been a good signing to help push Markstrom and to create real competition in the crease.

I have liked Burmistrov's game so far.  He gets a B- in my books.  He took a couple of bad penalties in the Detroit and Buffalo games, but he is otherwise a solid forward and has shown good skill when placed with linemates who can play a skilled game with pace.  Doesn't create as many chances as what he will probably need to do to turn heads, but he generally makes the team better.

Vanek gets a C+ from me.  He has played decently but there are moments where he seems every bit the aging former star player, complete with moments of carelessness.  When he's competing though, he's still very good, and if it wasn't for his lack of foot speed, I think he could be even more of a contributor.

Like most people are saying, Gagner has been the most disappointing of the signing so far and he gets a C from me for now.  Versatility was one of the things cited as a positive for him, but I think it's also been one of his problems this season.  The guy keeps getting moved around not only different lines but in different positions.  Of course, excuses can't be used forever but I think he should be given more time.

Nice to see that our rgrades are very similar. That means we both know what we're talking about...or we both don't haha. 

Green said the other day that there were a few players who he hadn't yet figured out.  ie

1. what makes them tick,
  2. what they are good at,
  3. what they are not good at,
  4. what you can expect when you put them into various situations and
  5. their optimal place in the line up

The list?

1. Gagner
  2. Burmistrov, inconsistant
  3. Pouliot, not long enough with the team, getting there

Players on the list need to start showing just who they are because one of them will find himself in the press box when Gaunce comes back from conditioning.   When Eriksson, Edler and Stecher slot back into the line up in 6 weeks or less, some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

Vanek - c-

mdz- c+

brumistrov- c

nilsen- b

gagner- f-

Green a

baumer a

brown d

of the new guys all except gagner have been steady and reliable. And have been pretty much as advertised 

vanek shows up for 1 maybe 2 shifts a game as most expected and the reason he’s been kicked around the league and wasn’t signed till late August.

Gagner looks like how he played on the horrible oilers he had a good year playing on a great team ...wierd. 

Of the new guys if the plan was to trade them at the tdl mdz is most likely the only one with any value. 

If they continue to be the same I doubt gagner (especially with that contract) or vanek would have any interest.

I'm looking at these guys from a point of view of...are they playing well enough to have multi-year careers here.

Nilsson - need to see more, but so far, he looks like he might have more potential upside than Markstrom.

MDZ - he stays here! More than just a little impressive, especially considering he didn't have much of a good rep in his own zone.

Puillot - I'd say, if he continues his current pace, he's definitely worth another "show me" contract

Burmistrov - on hold, need to compare to Gaunce; can he provide enough offense to counter Gaunce's better defense. If not, deadline trade bait.

Vanek - future draft pick at the deadline; he's holding a place until Goldobin is fully ready

Gagner - big disappointment so far. If he doesn't improve, especially once TG figures out how to best utilize his skills, then he becomes trade bait also. May have to hang on to him one more year to make a trade feasible though.

The video was pretty good, fair and overall accurate assessments of the new guys.

@Canuck Clay I think your grades are all bang-on!

Best value is the Del Zotto signing. Currently sits 19th in the league for TOI/G with a solid 5 points in 9 games. 2.5 million for our #1 dman is a steal, although it would be better if we had a legit #1 dman. Either way, great signing. 

Burmistrov has been a good value. Vanek is playing as expected, although he looks slower and wider than I expected. Nilsson has been great in two of his starts.

Gagner has been a disappointment but I think he will score in bunches for us as the season progresses. 

Archived