The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failed closed-door discussions and Matthews' intention to leave Leafs, what Sportsnet, CBC and TSN won’t reveal.

Slegr

Since my last report in October, my sources have revealed:

·         The Leafs organization is distressed behind closed doors in the attempt to reach an extension with Auston Matthews.

·         Negotiations between the Leafs and Matthews led to a legitimate $13.5 million / eight-year contract proposal by the Leafs, by prior to the post-season, negotiations ran completely dry, with Matthews’ agent telling the Leafs organization that Matthews will only accept a two-year deal (to replace the remaining year on his contract) for $14 million / season.

·         Matthews is targeting the 2020/21 season to either have it recognized that as a player drafted out of Europe he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent or he demands a trade. Either way, he sees himself on an American team by 2020/21.

·         Matthews is not only angry at Lamoriello for the franchise’s condescending rule book in terms of how the team needs to look, speak and act on and off the ice, but he is also disenfranchised by the coaching of Babcock, who refuses to give him what Matthews considers adequate ice time, including power play time.

·         “$#!T happens,” indeed.

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

Since my last report in October, my sources have revealed:

·         The Leafs organization is distressed behind closed doors in the attempt to reach an extension with Auston Matthews.

·         Negotiations between the Leafs and Matthews led to a legitimate $13.5 million / eight-year contract proposal by the Leafs, by prior to the post-season, negotiations ran completely dry, with Matthews’ agent telling the Leafs organization that Matthews will only accept a two-year deal (to replace the remaining year on his contract) for $14 million / season.

·         Matthews is targeting the 2020/21 season to either have it recognized that as a player drafted out of Europe he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent or he demands a trade. Either way, he sees himself on an American team by 2020/21.

·         Matthews is not only angry at Lamoriello for the franchise’s condescending rule book in terms of how the team needs to look, speak and act on and off the ice, but he is also disenfranchised by the coaching of Babcock, who refuses to give him what Matthews considers adequate ice time, including power play time.

·         “$#!T happens,” indeed.

I'm hoping you just worded this poorly.  You cannot replace an existing contract.  The new contract can only come into effect once the current contract runs out.  It's what prevents players (like Yashin did) from holding out when already under contract.

Also, how can the Leafs be attempting to reach an extension with Matthews?  He still has a year to go so they cannot negotiate an extension until July 1st of this year.

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

Matthews is targeting the 2020/21 season to either have it recognized that as a player drafted out of Europe he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent or he demands a trade. Either way, he sees himself on an American team by 2020/21.

There's no such thing.

He has signed an NHL contract.  He becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent the same way everyone else does.  If this was a thing, why didn't we hear about it for the Sedins or Ovechkin or any other European player?

Article 8.6 (d)

Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.

(i)

Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if

a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North

America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation

for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his

selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to

such Player to retain such rights.

48 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Article 8.6 (d)

Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.

(i)

Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if

a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North

America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation

for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his

selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to

such Player to retain such rights.

That's just for drafting.  Matthews already signed a contract so this no longer applies.

44 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

That's just for drafting.  Matthews already signed a contract so this no longer applies.

NHL considers these players as defected players. I think maybe they want to test the clause as a bargaining chip. It's probably all hot air, but if Mathews really wants out, TO would be better off trading him.

He probably does the same here if we won that lottery.  All we need is Juolevi to win the Norris and Pettersson to win the Art Ross to give a huge middle finger to the league for this draft lottery nonsense.  Karma is a mofo beehatch.

And if anyone doubts this is true, answer this simple question.  How come TSN/Sportsnet haven't said one word regarding his contract extension when they're so quick to tell us what he ate for breakfast?  Laine got one, what about AM?

Archived