Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failed closed-door discussions and Matthews' intention to leave Leafs, what Sportsnet, CBC and TSN won’t reveal.

Rate this topic


Slegr

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, luckylager said:

And our own, very special, American Golden Boy.

 

I was conditioned from birth to hate the Leafs. My Mom is a Habs fan, Dad loves the Nux... One Uncle is a Red Wings fan, the others prefer baseball and football.

 

I love seeing the leafs fail, toil and get burned. "I was born this way"

Somewhat relate here, man. Folks were from the Maritimes, the ol' man's side were all Hab-nuts, dating back to Howie Morenz! So yeah, I loved the Lafleur-era, 4-Cup run in the late 70's. By mid-80's, felt the Habs were becoming boring, & overly-defensive. Guess they wanted to win/dominate as they had up to 1980, but it was no longer possible.

 

Fell in love with the Nuckers for good in '89(despite stuck in Cowtown a few yrs), after their brilliant run vs the nasty Flamers(Otto-BS). Moving back home in 1990 was perfect, as Quinn started working trade magic, & Pavel would lift off.

 

Never really liked the Fleas, but in the Ballard yrs they were such an abomination(about 79~1991), you just had to feel sorry for the paper bag-bums. Guys like Roger Neilson & Sittler couldn't stave off the stench. Couldn't really HATE something so insignificant.

 

Now the OILERS, otoh...there was a 1980's outfit to rightfully despise!!!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Somewhat relate here, man. Folks were from the Maritimes, the ol' man's side were all Hab-nuts, dating back to Howie Morenz! So yeah, I loved the Lafleur-era, 4-Cup run in the late 70's. By mid-80's, felt the Habs were becoming boring, & overly-defensive. Guess they wanted to win/dominate as they had up to 1980, but it was no longer possible.

 

Fell in love with the Nuckers for good in '89(despite stuck in Cowtown a few yrs), after their brilliant run vs the nasty Flamers(Otto-BS). Moving back home in 1990 was perfect, as Quinn started working trade magic, & Pavel would lift off.

 

Never really liked the Fleas, but in the Ballard yrs they were such an abomination(about 79~1991), you just had to feel sorry for the paper bag-bums. Guys like Roger Neilson & Sittler couldn't stave off the stench. Couldn't really HATE something so insignificant.

 

Now the OILERS, otoh...there was a 1980's outfit to rightfully despise!!!

Growing up near the ole Pacific Coliseum one of the first things you learn about the Canucks entry into the NHL was that it was delayed from the big 1967 expansion. Toronto and I believe Montreal too voted against Vancouver's expansion ( CBC elevision rights ) which layed the foundation for my big Toronto hate. We beat them in our first match up which was the Canucks first ever win in the NHL.

 

History shows we have owned them head to head and crushed them in five in 1994 en route the SCF.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, 6string said:

Growing up near the ole Pacific Coliseum one of the first things you learn about the Canucks entry into the NHL was that it was delayed from the big 1967 expansion. Toronto and I believe Montreal too voted against Vancouver's expansion ( CBC elevision rights ) which layed the foundation for my big Toronto hate. We beat them in our first match up which was the Canucks first ever win in the NHL.

 

History shows we have owned them head to head and crushed them in five in 1994 en route the SCF.

Analyze any aspect of their Ballard yrs, & it's likely garbage that rotted through the covering carpet. Think they even had a pedo-ring amongst some of their rink staff, didn't the press claim?

 

Imagine an owner baldly stating he could send beer league bums out in the Leaf jersey, & he'd STILL sell the joint out?! Think Ballard said that in the mid-8o's..for youngins' who may have never heard it.

 

So THAT's what he bloodywell did! :^)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment

I don't think the contract analysis is right. Its more likely that he signs an offer sheet from AZ in two years. I think AZ is going to tank on purpose for the next two drafts to stock up on talent and then offer sheet Matthews. TO then gets 4 late round 1st's or pays the max to keep a disgruntled player. its worth it with the talent AZ will have by then. 

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

 

 

Never really liked the Fleas, but in the Ballard yrs they were such an abomination(about 79~1991), you just had to feel sorry for the paper bag-bums. Guys like Roger Neilson & Sittler couldn't stave off the stench. Couldn't really HATE something so insignificant.

 

 

The Lanny McDonald trade was one of the worst days of my life when they traded him to the Rockies in late 1979. I g 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, tbone909 said:

The Lanny McDonald trade was one of the worst days of my life when they traded him to the Rockies in late 1979. I g 

I recall cheering big-time when Lanny's huge gm7 OT bumped off the Isle.

 

Knew a fam friend of Lanny's(in Calgary)..apparently the guy's classy as a pro athlete could possibly be.

 

McD - Sittler- Tiger was quite a line.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Analyze any aspect of their Ballard yrs, & it's likely garbage that rotted through the covering carpet. Think they even had a pedo-ring amongst some of their rink staff, didn't the press claim?

 

Imagine an owner baldly stating he could send beer league bums out in the Leaf jersey, & he'd STILL sell the joint out?! Think Ballard said that in the mid-8o's..for youngins' who may have never heard it.

 

So THAT's what he bloodywell did! :^)

I recall hearing the old man Ballard had sex on the Zamboni machine on Maple Leaf ice and you're right they did have a pedo member employed who was charged years after it took place.

 

The CBC and TSN would have you believe 1967 was only yesterday and today is the Matthews era.

Edited by 6string
have/had
Link to comment
1 minute ago, 6string said:

I recall hearing the old man Ballard have sex on the Zamboni machine on Maple Leaf ice and you're right they did have a pedo member employed who was charged years after it took place.

 

The CBC and TSN would have you believe 1967 was only yesterday and today is the Matthews era.

It's a cash cow, & obsequious tw*ts like Dregs would prob massage Weinstein's body to continue reporting on their beloved Maple Fleas..

 

Them TV gigs are great for egos of nerds.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I recall cheering big-time when Lanny's huge gm7 OT bumped off the Isle.

 

 

That's one of my top 5 series of all time. Great learning experience for NY Islanders at the time. The next year they went to the Semi-Finals and the next 5 years in the Stanley Cup finals winning 4 Cups.

 

Link to comment

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Recent attempts by the Leafs organization to discuss contract extensions with Matthews have apparently gone flat. Sources say Matthews plans to argue that as a player drafted out of Europe, after four years of playing with the Leafs, he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent, as per the collective bargaining agreement.

That right there should make you question your source as he or she does not even know the basics of the CBA. There are tons of players that get drafted out of Europe, it doesn't make you an unrestricted free agent any more quickly. Every single player that signs a contract with the team that drafted them has to give 7 years of service to that club or till they reach the age of 27 before they become an unrestricted free agent. 

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...