The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failed closed-door discussions and Matthews' intention to leave Leafs, what Sportsnet, CBC and TSN won’t reveal.

Slegr

Please let this happen, even if it means he goes to AZ. Poor Yotes need something more than Keller to revitalize their franchise. 

Someone with an account should take one for the team and post this on their HFBoards. I don't think anyone over there has caught on yet, even if it's probably false.

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I recall cheering big-time when Lanny's huge gm7 OT bumped off the Isle.

Knew a fam friend of Lanny's(in Calgary)..apparently the guy's classy as a pro athlete could possibly be.

McD - Sittler- Tiger was quite a line.

The man is pure Gold. Met him in Calgary day after a game, he was retired and part of fLAMES player personnel at that time. I lost my Mustang keys at the game came to the main office the next day to try to find them. He was there and actually walked me to my seats to see if they were there. No luck, we walked back I asked him how hard was it to walk away from the game ?  ....he was like"i still wanna play ! but this new breed is something else ? then he said hold on I'll be right back. He shows up 5 min later with a large box of keys from the lost and found from the previous night. They were not there but the effort and sincerity was there.  Class act all the way.

Dad managed to get Lanny to sign a jersey for him at a charity function one year as well.  He was a force of nature on the ice. Definitely dont build'em like that one anymore. Tank on skates !

2 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

The man is pure Gold. Met him in Calgary day after a game, he was retired and part of fLAMES player personnel at that time. I lost my Mustang keys at the game came to the main office the next day to try to find them. He was there and actually walked me to my seats to see if they were there. No luck, we walked back I asked him how hard was it to walk away from the game ?  ....he was like"i still wanna play ! but this new breed is something else ? then he said hold on I'll be right back. He shows up 5 min later with a large box of keys from the lost and found from the previous night. They were not there but the effort and sincerity was there.  Class act all the way.

Dad managed to get Lanny to sign a jersey for him at a charity function one year as well.  He was a force of nature on the ice. Definitely dont build'em like that one anymore. Tank on skates !

Great anecdote D2..not surprised to hear it, either!

9 hours ago, Slegr said:

In July 2016, the Leafs organization signed Auston Matthews to a three-year entry-level contact, and the Leafs are recognizing now that it will be an uphill battle to get a McDavid-sized extension as they had hoped by next summer.

Auston Matthews, the native of Scottsdale Arizona, is not interested in signing long-term with the Leafs, say sources close to him and the Leafs organization.

Relations started rocky when negotiations behind closed doors between Lamoriello and Matthews’ agent over performance bonuses in his first contract left Matthews bitter, say sources.

The US born player, who spends his off-time in Arizona, allegedly has his heart set on playing in the US, and it is no surprise that the Coyotes remain Matthew’s favourite team. Matthews has been a Coyotes fan since he was two years old, and sources say that Leaf management have even asked him to scale down his public comments about Coyotes happenings to show greater loyalty towards the Blue and White fans. This request by the Leaf organization came after Matthews’ comments about the potential for the Arizona Coyotes to get a new arena, and when his idol Shane Doan retired.

Recent attempts by the Leafs organization to discuss contract extensions with Matthews have apparently gone flat. Sources say Matthews plans to argue that as a player drafted out of Europe, after four years of playing with the Leafs, he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent, as per the collective bargaining agreement.

The Leafs management interpret the agreement differently, believing they will maintain his rights after four years as a ‘defected player.’ To be continued.

(Sources unable to be revealed, hence why this is being posted in White Noise.)

this is not rocket science.  I am not an insider but it is pretty clear the kid wants to play at home.  He played there last year and it sold out and his parents were there to watch. They were there to see him.   He is a western US kid so there is no this is original 6 leaf crap  You got Vegas, 3 LA teams, Dallas, and Denver all short flights.  Toss in a Seattle and or Houston.    And the west has a lot of travel isn't a big deal anymore.   The NHL would secretly love to have him back Phoenix.     He is going to be a superstar in this league if he isn't already.    The leafs should have seen this before they even drafted him.  Ontario kids the leaf stuff will work but not for a kid form the desert.  He probably never even watched them as a kid

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

but also stay out of the western conference!

Hate to break it to you but if this is real there is no doubt he’ll end up in Arizona, if they still exist then, meaning he’ll be in our conference. 

I gotta admit though, it’s always nice to see/hear about the leafs struggles. I’m a Canadian and will cheer for Canadian teams ahead of any US team except when it comes the leafs. Watching them fail to buy their way to a cup with ridiculous contract offers before the salary cap era just made me laugh as they were continuously one of the teams with the highest payroll and haven’t made the SCF in what 50 years now?

1.  Please be true because watching sportsnet and tsn be forced to somehow find ways to claim he's not EVERYTHING they claimed he was for 2 years would be brilliant.

2.  Bettman would probably jump through hoops to make this happen.  Arizona born boy playing and captaining Arizona makes them a ticket seller and keeps the team in AZ

3.  They'd immediately have to offer up Keller and Domi possibly Chycrun too which might help the Leafs but also screws them harder on the cap as each looks to be $6+ million

I doubt it's legit myself.  But for so many reasons I hope it is

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Remember how things worked out for the Nordiques franchise when they were forced into moving Lindros.  If anything comes out of this, the Leafs could still be sitting very pretty -- perhaps even prettier if they secure depth throughout the lineup.

Habs would have never traded Roy to Quebec. Just sayin

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

1.  Please be true because watching sportsnet and tsn be forced to somehow find ways to claim he's not EVERYTHING they claimed he was for 2 years would be brilliant.

2.  Bettman would probably jump through hoops to make this happen.  Arizona born boy playing and captaining Arizona makes them a ticket seller and keeps the team in AZ

3.  They'd immediately have to offer up Keller and Domi possibly Chycrun too which might help the Leafs but also screws them harder on the cap as each looks to be $6+ million

I doubt it's legit myself.  But for so many reasons I hope it is

I don't think the premise is correct re: his UFA status. But an AZ offer sheet.... :ph34r:

I'm changing my mind again. I think the 4 year rights window only relates to getting the first contract offer. After that AM would be on a standard ELC and have to put 7 years in to become a FA. So the offer sheet thing is the best chance for AZ to snag AM. 

(d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.

1. (i)  Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights. 

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I think this is more of a ploy by Matthews to get McDavid like money. He said McDavid "earned" his contract and I believe he is going to be like give me 12m or more for 8 years.

And if the Leafs sign him for that they will be stuck in a tough spot trying to surround him with talent. Good times.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why all the HATE directed towards the Toronto Maple Leafs?  From watching TSN and Sports Net, I thought every one loved the Leafs. :lol:

I am now adding that Matthews leaves the Leafs to my nightly "Alf hates the Leafs, Flames, Oilers" prayers.  

Amen.

Archived