The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup Finals Canucks vs Leafs

falcons

Way back in 1994 when I was a young lad I was lucky enough to be at the game when we knocked the leafs out to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. ( I will never  forget linden lifting the western conference  cup and the lid fell off ! ) I was thinking with the leafs progression and hopefully the Canucks over the next few years maybe we will see a rematch but this time  for the holy grail.  Sometimes you just have to believe .  

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That's sweet you got to see that game in person. 

My buddy was working at the Pepsi bottling plant and scored us free tickets !  Games in the pacific coliseum were awesome . The first game I  ever went to back in 1982 Curt Fraser had a fight with Montreal’s Chris Nilan under the stands. 

Despite the awesomeness for Canadians, an All Canadian Stanley Cup Final would be a devastating money loss for the league over all.

:Tinfoil hat on:

I would expect to see some serious push back from all levels of the league if something like this was to develop in a playoff.

1 hour ago, falcons said:

Way back in 1994 when I was a young lad I was lucky enough to be at the game when we knocked the leafs out to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. ( I will never  forget linden lifting the western conference  cup and the lid fell off ! ) I was thinking with the leafs progression and hopefully the Canucks over the next few years maybe we will see a rematch but this time  for the holy grail.  Sometimes you just have to believe .  

I was there too, and then in July on my birthday I got to see Metallica, Alice In Chains, and Suicidal Tendencies at ThunderBird stadium.
The only way that summer could have been any better was if Nathan LaFayette didn't ping the bar........

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This thread made me curious to find out when was the last time we saw two Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup Final. The last time we saw this was in 1989 (Flames vs. Canadiens) - 28 years ago.

Those two teams were great matchups in 86 and 89.  Man, that was fun hockey.

55 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

I was there too, and then in July on my birthday I got to see Metallica, Alice In Chains, and Suicidal Tendencies at ThunderBird stadium.
The only way that summer could have been any better was if Nathan LaFayette didn't ping the bar........

That damn Lafayette!

I was in the Saddledome for game 7 that year, double OT... :) 

8 hours ago, falcons said:

I was at that game too!  They were down like 3-0 and came back.  Greg Adams!  I remember the chants of "Wendy, Wendy!" every time Clark was on the ice.  After the game it was a gong show around hastings and renfrew and, all the way into downtown.  I recall seeing an accident where a guy was waiving his white towel out of his truck window and he rear-ended the guy in front of him coz he wasnt paying attention.

I got home and put on Sports Talk hosted by Dan Russell.  They were interviewing the players, and one of them said that Tim Hunter told Pat Burns to go warm up the bus after the OT goal was scored. LOL.  

That team had it all, and for some reason I loved that team more than the 2011 team.  Tevor Linden stepped up big time.  He was a great regular season player, but when it came to the playoffs he took it up a notch higher.  He would step up physically and was able to operate when the other team put the screws down.

This is what I hope Jake turns into.  Everyone may slobber over Nylander and Ehlers in the regular season but my hope is that when the intensity ramps up, and the screws are put down by the other team, Jake will be the guy that excels in that environment.

51 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I was at that game too!  They were down like 3-0 and came back.  Greg Adams!  I remember the chants of "Wendy, Wendy!" every time Clark was on the ice.  After the game it was a gong show around hastings and renfrew and, all the way into downtown.  I recall seeing an accident where a guy was waiving his white towel out of his truck window and he rear-ended the guy in front of him coz he wasnt paying attention.

I got home and put on Sports Talk hosted by Dan Russell.  They were interviewing the players, and one of them said that Tim Hunter told Pat Burns to go warm up the bus after the OT goal was scored. LOL.  

That team had it all, and for some reason I loved that team more than the 2011 team.  Tevor Linden stepped up big time.  He was a great regular season player, but when it came to the playoffs he took it up a notch higher.  He would step up physically and was able to operate when the other team put the screws down.

This is what I hope Jake turns into.  Everyone may slobber over Nylander and Ehlers in the regular season but my hope is that when the intensity ramps up, and the screws are put down by the other team, Jake will be the guy that excels in that environment.

I remember the leafs were up 3 zip after the first period and listening to their fans chirping down in the beer garden. I loved the 94 team ! 

10 hours ago, xereau said:

Despite the awesomeness for Canadians, an All Canadian Stanley Cup Final would be a devastating money loss for the league over all.

I would expect to see some serious push back from all levels of the league if something like this was to develop in a playoff.

Think you're not far off with your tinfoil hat theory... They may accept it to happen once, but the marked down south would quickly die, if it was going to be Candian teams slugging it year in year out... They'll quickly bring back the blind refs, DPOS and anyone else, who can prevent this from happening.

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

winning our first cup over the maple leafs would be a godsend.  that would be one exciting final!

It would be so good, but Leafs? The darlings of the NHL v hated Canucks.... hmmm... tinfoil hat time...

10 hours ago, xereau said:

But the ratings would go out the roof .... The more Canadian teams in the playoffs, the better the TV ratings, once they are all out they go down.  I'd bet as many people or more would watch that then the 2002 and 2010 Olympic gold medal games which were both off the charts.  Americans still don't care enough about hockey, even their own teams, often watching regular season ball games over Stanley Cup games.  

Just now, falcons said:

I remember the leafs were up 3 zip after the first period and listening to their fans chirping down in the beer garden. I loved the 94 team ! 

The other thing i remember about that year was the 2-3-2 playoff format.  In today's format game 5 would have been on the road, but that year the canucks played the first two games in toronto then 3 straight at home.  Its good that they finished them off here rather than going back on the road for potentially two more games in toronto.  i also remember having to tolerate the CBC (Toronto Homer) broadcasts during that series.  It was an era where Don Cherry was kissing Doug Gilmour (literally) on the air.

Highlights of their first game back (game 3)...still gives me goose bumps (..warning..bad video quality...probably uploaded from some guys vhs!)

Archived