The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup Finals Canucks vs Leafs

falcons

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

I would wear a Canucks jersey everyday for a year if that were to happen. And I live in Southern Ontario too.

Ballsy move.   TO never ceases to amaze me, packed house and 50 thousand fans outside watching regular season games with a crappy team in a nothing game.  More Blue in Ontario than all fans combined with the exception of MTL.  It's crazy here, and they have fans in all the provinces too, probably dating back to original six fans passing on their sickness down the generations.   When they come to Ottawa there is as much blue as there is red in the stands, and I remember what it was like in the old Pacific Coliseum too, the go Leafs to chants raining down every game made me mad.   IF this happens I will match you, and do it too over here in Eastern Ontario.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This thread made me curious to find out when was the last time we saw two Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup Final. The last time we saw this was in 1989 (Flames vs. Canadiens) - 28 years ago.

Pre Bettman 

last cup canadian cup winner 93 the year bettman took over half way through the season. 

...........Tinfoil hat is on........ Chem trails  also bettman s falt?

wierd coincidence maybe,  I realize more teams more level playing fields now and through the 90 American teams had no limit to salary but you’d think a Canadian team would have won just once.

Money controls the world pro sports is no different. Anyone else  See 2011 cup finals...exactly.

For those of you that have annoying Leafs fans for friends.

Well the leafs have 11 Cups and the Canucks have 0

Now let's compare Apples to Apples

The Canucks entered the league in 1970. Since then:

Canucks have 2 Art Ross winners, Laffs 0

Canucks have one Hart winner, Laffs 0

Canucks have one Ted Lindsay winner, Laffs 0

Canucks have two Presidents trophies, Laffs 0

Canucks have three visits to the finals, Laffs 0

And in our only head to head playoff matchup............we spotted them one game before kicking their sorry asses.

So since the Canucks have been in the league they have really only managed to outsuck us.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Ballsy move.   TO never ceases to amaze me, packed house and 50 thousand fans outside watching regular season games with a crappy team in a nothing game.  More Blue in Ontario than all fans combined with the exception of MTL.  It's crazy here, and they have fans in all the provinces too, probably dating back to original six fans passing on their sickness down the generations.   When they come to Ottawa there is as much blue as there is red in the stands, and I remember what it was like in the old Pacific Coliseum too, the go Leafs to chants raining down every game made me mad.   IF this happens I will match you, and do it too over here in Eastern Ontario.

I go to school in St. Catharines and it is so frustrating hearing the way they talk about their team. I legitimately got into an argument with this guy the other day who was adamant that AM34 wasn't just on the level of McDavid, but better. Delusional.

23 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I go to school in St. Catharines and it is so frustrating hearing the way they talk about their team. I legitimately got into an argument with this guy the other day who was adamant that AM34 wasn't just on the level of McDavid, but better. Delusional.

Quite true.  It must be hard for them though given two generations at least haven't seen them win much of anything.  Until Mathews I don't think their team even won a Calder.   Pathetic really.  

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

And in our only head to head playoff matchup............we spotted them one game before kicking their sorry asses.

So since the Canucks have been in the league they have really only managed to outsuck us.

Not to mention the Canucks had a 11 game win streak against the leafs in head to head regular season match up from 2004-2014. That streak wasn’t broken until a game in Toronto during the gong show year that torts was the head coach. Since then we lost more games against them than we won. It had to do with puck luck and also our top players are getting older and could not dominate the Leafs the way that use to be. The Sedins used to feast on the Leafs every time we played them, it was fun because Jim Hughson would start the game cheering for the Leafs and ended the game with nonstop praising the Sedins.

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

But the ratings would go out the roof .... The more Canadian teams in the playoffs, the better the TV ratings, once they are all out they go down.  I'd bet as many people or more would watch that then the 2002 and 2010 Olympic gold medal games which were both off the charts.  Americans still don't care enough about hockey, even their own teams, often watching regular season ball games over Stanley Cup games.  

i cant wait to see an all canadian team final.  it will be stuff of legend lol.  we haven't seen it in modern hockey.  oh man i can imagine the crowd now. louder and more passionate then we may of ever seen. hockey as a game has grown so much.   the hockey knowledge of fans is probably at its highest.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:07 PM, falcons said:

Way back in 1994 when I was a young lad I was lucky enough to be at the game when we knocked the leafs out to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. ( I will never  forget linden lifting the western conference  cup and the lid fell off ! ) I was thinking with the leafs progression and hopefully the Canucks over the next few years maybe we will see a rematch but this time  for the holy grail.  Sometimes you just have to believe .  

Me three.  It was a heady time in Vancouver. I remember a lot of Laff sweaters all over town during that series. I remember a Laff fan yelling at me in the street about how Toronto has all the talent, so I yelled back "but Vancouver has the heart!" Which proved out, and I was there to see it happen.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:07 PM, falcons said:

Way back in 1994 when I was a young lad I was lucky enough to be at the game when we knocked the leafs out to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. ( I will never  forget linden lifting the western conference  cup and the lid fell off ! ) I was thinking with the leafs progression and hopefully the Canucks over the next few years maybe we will see a rematch but this time  for the holy grail.  Sometimes you just have to believe .  

You bet man...just not in Bettman's lifetime....

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2017 at 11:26 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This thread made me curious to find out when was the last time we saw two Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup Final. The last time we saw this was in 1989 (Flames vs. Canadiens) - 28 years ago.

This thread made me wonder if content is still a requirement for a thread creation.

I guess we're all drunk and in Christmas cheer? OK 

Boy I can't wait until this maybe happens some day, that's great you were at a game 20+ years ago, great read

14 hours ago, Davathor said:

This thread made me wonder if content is still a requirement for a thread creation.

I guess we're all drunk and in Christmas cheer? OK 

Boy I can't wait until this maybe happens some day, that's great you were at a game 20+ years ago, great read

You seem like a rather bitter unhappy person. Too bad . Merry Christmas ! 

On 10/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, Shift-4 said:

a fine summary

i keep these details in my head

to relay to laffs fans whenever they step out of line too much :P

On 12/23/2017 at 2:32 PM, falcons said:

Bold prediction . Canucks will be the next Canadian team to win the cup. Future is bright gotta wear shades 

winterpeg says hi

they have a pretty complete team

very young.. a lot of upside still

i do hope you are right

but the jets seem to be very well built

and heading in the right direction

the best canadian team by a bit this year

I'll take the Canucks in the finals with anyone.  

Don't really get the Leafs hate.  They aren't in our division let alone conference and have sucked for forever.  Only team I still hate on is Boston, just because of their cheap/dirty play and situation with Campbell's dad being head of discipline/officiating.  

51 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Only team I still hate on is Boston, just because of their cheap/dirty play and situation with Campbell's dad being head of discipline/officiating.  

you mean like the phone call?  Hi Gregory, this is dad from the NHL head office. I've heard you've been a bad boy. I'm afraid I'm going to have to lay down the law and discipline you real good. Would a 500$ fine be o.k.?  

Archived