The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now is the time (Proposals - Discussion)

As we have gotten off to a good start, and players have been playing well, this is a time to look at moving a player or two..........

Trade #1.

Anders Nilsson to Arizona                                                                 2,500,000

for

Antti Raanta + Minnisota 2018 2nd                                                   1,000,000

Trade #2.

Baertschi  + Edler + Gaunce to Montreal                                          7,600,000                                                          

for

Galchenyuk + Schlemko                                                                    7,000,000

Trade #1.

Arizona needs a goalie, and Nilsson has posted 2 shutouts in his past 3 games, showing he has the ability to carry a team, Arizona gets rid of Raanta, who hasn't panned out as a #1 goalie, but would probably make a great backup short term. Nilsson, drafted in the 3rd round, gets us a mid second for free. Arizona takes the risk!

Trade #2.

Montreal goes for it! Baertschi > than the 2nd we spent to get him, Edler tightens up their defense as soon as he is back, and Gaunce is a good defensive player, who himself was a late 1st rounder. Montreal gets one last kick at the cat before Price's new contract kicks in.....my bet is they go for it!

Yes, we give up good assets, but we are managing without Edler at the moment, and honestly we still need more young assets..............Galchenyuk is worth the pain, and we have youth coming as early as next year....Schlemko either is moved at the TDL or we let him walk at years end. No pain either way!

Really just looking for discussion.........................

31 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bergevin should go pound sand..little freeken'whiner, dressed up like it's disco nite.

Edler to Ottawa, pkg targeting their 2019 1st.

yeah I agree not a fan of Bergevin. I like that Ottawa deal thats looking more like what Vancouver is needing.

Why would Arizona do this? Raanta is cheaper and Nisson isn't really any better. 2 games do not give Nilsson "the ability to carry a team". Similarly, Raanta's 3 games don't mean he's trash. Too early to tell because both with new teams. 

As for the second trade, this does not solve any of Montreal's issues. They need scoring and they need centers. You are not giving them either.

Also Edler has a NTC and said he wants to stay. ARI and MTL both say no IMO

Arizona paid a fairly big price for Raanta. There is absolutely no way they entertain trading him for Nilsson. If that trade was going to happen it would be the second going to them, not the other way around. 

The value on the second trade is fairly close but I think they'd say no. Edler is a minor improvement for Montreal over Schlemko but he's hurt for another month. Baertschi is trending in the right direction and Galchenyuk isn't but Montreal might want to hold onto Chucky anyway. Another team may see Chucky as being misused and capable of getting back to 30 goals. Trade wise Chucky would hold more value for now. Gaunce is a bottom 6 center and always will be. Montreal has a glut of them.

Bergevin gave a press conference yesterday.  They will not give up on Galchenyuk.

From Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bergevin-believes-canadiens-already-takes-better/

"You go into a tough stretch and people want to pick your pocket," he said. "You know some guys are better than they’re playing, and what you’re talking about getting in return is not going to help you. So just to make a move just to make a move? That’s not going to make any difference. I’m not going to do that. I’m not going to make a move just to panic."

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I'm curious. Do you hate Yzerman too?  He lodged a tampering charge against Benning at the same time as Bergevin did 

"Hate" is a strong word you've chosen. We mostly all have opinions, which is(I'm sure you're aware) a large chunk of what these boards are about.

Lots of people expressing themselves in absolutes. Lots of them also have lost their sense of humour.

Long as Van keeps playing hard & getting younger, all the rest is secondary.

So many thing wrong with post, where to begins.

- Raanta is injured and only played 3 games (well 2.5) and allowed 5 goals total.  He is not to blame for the Coyotes dreadful start and he wasn't as bad as you suggest he was.  He was also injured in the preseason, preventing him to have a good start. 

- Nillson hasn't carried the Canucks in these two shutout wins, the Canucks played really well against Ottawa and Minnesota, which both coaches acknowledge after the games.

- Despite the issues with Galchenyk in Montreal, I highly doubt Bergevin give up on him for an injured, declining defenseman and another midget.  They wouldn't risk it and they already have Byron, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw as undersized forwards.

Not to mention Edler's NTC or the commitment VAN made to Nillsson this summer and ARI made to Raanta and MTL to Schlemko, they won't trade them after after playing 3 games or less each, That's not good for anyone's rep. 

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Hate" is a strong word you've chosen. We mostly all have opinions, which is(I'm sure you're aware) a large chunk of what these boards are about.

Lots of people expressing themselves in absolutes. Lots of them also have lost their sense of humour.

Long as Van keeps playing hard & getting younger, all the rest is secondary.

I only ask because I constantly see people slamming him because he filed tampering charges against Benning.  Now I'm no Bergevin fan.  I hate almost every move he's made. But I'm not sure why Bergevin gets all the crap for that when Benning clearly violated the tampering rules and Yzerman filed tampering charges against Benning at the same time. 

17 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I only ask because I constantly see people slamming him because he filed tampering charges against Benning.  Now I'm no Bergevin fan.  I hate almost every move he's made. But I'm not sure why Bergevin gets all the crap for that when Benning clearly violated the tampering rules and Yzerman filed tampering charges against Benning at the same time. 

I'd forgotten these details(SY especially), cause the whole story had p***ed me off. Could remember Burke/TO pulling stunts that were far more inflammatory.

In the end we've gotta assume they picked one example to warn all GM's,(or hope it's that simple). Be happy there was no penalty, & call it water under the bridge.

The idea of the heading is a good one, trade when the value is highest.

Montreal appears to need help but they should start improving their shooting percentage sooner or later.

They might move Shaw, Galchenyuk still has too much upside and his value is way down, it didn't help about the baggage either.

They may/could look at Sven or Goldy but Benning has the Nucks capped so any trades are handcuffed and he doesn't have to, or is able to do anything.

On 2017-10-26 at 0:04 AM, mll said:

Bergevin gave a press conference yesterday.  They will not give up on Galchenyuk.

From Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bergevin-believes-canadiens-already-takes-better/

"You go into a tough stretch and people want to pick your pocket," he said. "You know some guys are better than they’re playing, and what you’re talking about getting in return is not going to help you. So just to make a move just to make a move? That’s not going to make any difference. I’m not going to do that. I’m not going to make a move just to panic."

He also said he wasn’t gonna trade Subban or Sergachev and they are out of the door within a week. We should not trade for Galchdnyuk but won’t be surprised that he is gone from Montreal before Christmas if the Habs still couldn’t score enough goals.

As I said earlier, I posted this for discussion.................the most interesting questions, of which there are many, is on defense.........

I must admit, I am not sure how this will play out....................

Edler                                     Tanev

Del Zotto                               Gudbranson

Hutton                                   Stecher

Pouliot                                  Chatfield

Juolevi                                 *Tryamkin

Brisebois                               Biega

Wiercioch                             * 2018 1st

Add to this a 2018 1st that "could" be from 5th OA to 15th OA.................is this pick a Offensive Defenseman?.....if so, is he LHD or RHD

Who, if any, do we move? When do we move him? Seems to me we have too many LHD............so it must be a RHD

We have much the same problem in the forward ranks..........

When everyone is healthy, we either put someone on wavers or we send down a rookie.....................does anyone want to do that?

What is your solution? If we were the worst team, no one would notice....we are not! It is a nice problem!

15 minutes ago, KKnight said:

When you win 4 in row, you dont trade away players. What does that do to the psychee of the team busting their ass off every night to win. Not to mention the coaches. 

OK, so who are we going to send down?...............If you can answer this I will be happy!..................as soon as Eriksson, Edler and Stecher come back?

Well i agree somebody will be dealt, but ive seen countless proposals, about selling while were hot. Lets let it play out and deal with it when the time comes. We still have about a month until, were going to have these players come back. Who knows, more injuries may occur or players may under perform. 

Personally i could see us trading Hutty this year. 

Archived