The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What happens when Gaunce comes back?

Crabcakes

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Montgomery-Burns-excellent.gif

Sure but he might as well have one at this point. He'll need to pick up his play before anyone would consider taking him and his 3 year contract on. It's far too early to be thinking about trading him though. JB liked him enough to commit to him for 3 years. 3 weeks isn't going to change that. Hopefully he turns things round.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure but he might as well have one at this point. He'll need to pick up his play before anyone would consider taking him and his 3 year contract on. It's far too early to be thinking about trading him though. JB liked him enough to commit to him for 3 years. 3 weeks isn't going to change that. Hopefully he turns things round.

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Did he not score quite regularly for Greene in UTICA?

For being touted as a defensive forward, his AHL numbers are ok. Personally I am not high on him but as Jimmy said above, it's better to grow a few of these guys for free rather than have to pay to bring one in.

2014-15 Utica Comets AHL 74 11 18 29 31 -1 21 4 5 9 12
2015-16 Utica Comets AHL 46 17 21 38 16 12 4 0 0 0 4
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 20 1 0 1 2 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Vancouver Canucks NHL 57 0 5 5 33 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Utica Comets AHL 4 2 1 3 2 0 -- -- -- -- --

Re Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Last year Gaunce was playing against other 4th liners.  WD explained that he just wanted the 4th line to create momentum and not get scored on.  This season Sutter is tasked to shut down the top scoring lines in the league.  It's quite the gap in quality of competition.

22 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

For being touted as a defensive forward, his AHL numbers are ok. Personally I am not high on him but as Jimmy said above, it's better to grow a few of these guys for free rather than have to pay to bring one in.

2014-15 Utica Comets AHL 74 11 18 29 31 -1 21 4 5 9 12
2015-16 Utica Comets AHL 46 17 21 38 16 12 4 0 0 0 4
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 20 1 0 1 2 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Vancouver Canucks NHL 57 0 5 5 33 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Utica Comets AHL 4 2 1 3 2 0 -- -- -- -- --

Yes that is what I thought.

I think Green will give him a chance to shine. Green has the advantage of knowing, what Gaunce does and doesn't provide.

If anyone can make him a roster player, it should be Green. Think he could be a decent 4th line guy with some upside.

Swim or sink time...

16 minutes ago, goblix said:

My guess is he'll go on a conditioning stint in the AHL first. Then he'll be eventually slotted in. The vanek, burmy, Gagner line haven't really been amazing so I'd imagine he'd cycle in for one of those players.. most likely burmy

I wouldn't mind Gaunce in for Burmistrov if his offensive production starts to tail off.

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes that is what I thought.

I think Greene will give him a chance to shine. Greene has the advantage of knowing, what Gaunce does and doesn't provide.

If anyone can make him a roster player, it should be Greene. Think he could be a decent 4th line guy with some upside.

Swim or sink time...

G-R-E-E-N

Sorry, had to do it.

So far Gaunce hasn't been all that impressive in my opinion - maybe some of it was his line mates last year - don't remember him scoring but also don't remember  hearing his name a lot so that is a good thing too.  On the flip side of this coin  he can't be worse then Ganger  (how I wish he had never been signed and may these words come back to haunt me when he puts up 50 points)

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Re Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Last year Gaunce was playing against other 4th liners.  WD explained that he just wanted the 4th line to create momentum and not get scored on.  This season Sutter is tasked to shut down the top scoring lines in the league.  It's quite the gap in quality of competition.

If Gaunce wants to carve out a consistent NHL career he's going to have to really embrace and take on the shutdown role, (since he's clearly not a offensive producer at the NHL).  I think he's got the IQ to be able to become that player.  Sutter is a pretty good player to learn from.  If he can't, he becomes a replaceable player.

Archived