The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning bashers

crobar

I think yesterday was Bennings best day by far as gm.  His team, projected to suck, is winning and entertaing.  His pickups Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, vanek, delzotto, burmistrov, Nilsson, and even Gagner on and on looked great against a very good team and chased a very good goalie. His picks Boeser and Virtanen are looking better and better.  Juolevi scores another goal in Finland, goldobin, Boucher, and Holm are all pushing for spots. Dahlen looks way too good for Timra, lind, dipietro, gajdovìch all looking great.  Gaudette is dominant.  And on that day, Elias Petersson has a hat trick and 5 points against Rasmus Dahlin's team.

I think if Utica played and Rodin scored, Benning might have had a stroke! 

Go Canucks!

20 minutes ago, crobar said:

I believe we are starting to see Bennings vision of what this team should be. I think next year we will be looking at Bennings team. I don't know about you bashers but I like what I see.

I'm a pro Bennings too, but I'll wait to see if they can sustain these performances for 82 games before starting nagging the bashers.

I feel like a broken record here, but I've seen his vision all along. Many were just too pampered with having a winning team for so long that they felt like it should be like that all the time.  Unfortunately, by the time Benning got on board we had no choice but to rebuild, and this task was made all the more difficult by ownership wanting to remain competitive and not tank.

I think he has done an excellent job so far, though I still question if we have enough elite prospects.  Who are we relying on to play 1st line minutes on the left wing and center?  I realize the idea was to have 4 rolling lines but at the end of the day it's really hard to win championships without star players... if for no other reason that the opposing team has no choice but to place their best defensive players on your stars... thereby opening up the ice for your secondary scoring.  What I see right now is us putting all our eggs in the basket of Dahlen and Pettersson, and while I think both have great potential we all know what the actual mathematical chances are for both to become 1st line players.  We face a similar situation on defense, where we really don't have any stars on the blueline and are hoping Juolevi fills that role.  But again, the chances of that are not amazing, and even if it happens we have average (at best) to below average scoring from the back end.  So I'd really like to see Benning add another few high-ceiling prospects to the system.

Other than that, I think we are going to be a team to be reckoned with in a couple of year's time, and you thank Benning for that. Between his astute drafting and his generally solid trades, we will have a winning team again in a far shorter timeframe than most teams take to rebuild.

With all this said, I am not confident we will be able to sustain our current pace throughout the season so let's not get too excited quite yet. Even with Dorsett playing like he is we are quite average in scoring, and though it would be nice I can't see Nilsson to continue his record through the entire season. Boeser is also playing extremely well (on pace for 92 points!) but it would be detrimental to put too much pressure on him to maintain his pace. And rest assured, he won't.  So the chances are good that we will regress at some point - but while we're playing like this, I'll certainly take it.  Last night was a great game to watch.

As with our team in the last 3 years. If we can overcome our slump past november and the all star break, then maybe we have something this season that won't result in a bottom lottery finish. (though in the long term, that will help us get that elite talent we need. Don't wanna put all our eggs into Pettersen.)

But for now, nothing has changed imo. Dorsett isn't going to continue to outscore McDavid and Ovie, this roster is on a streak right now but can it sustain it? You aren't the first person to create a thread after a winning streak my friend!

I do like how Travis Green is getting the most out of what he's given though. So props to him! 

But .... Loui Eriksson though:ph34r:

I haven't missed a minute of Canucks so far this year, can't say that was the case last year.  Last year was just painful on the eyes, this year as long as they fore check aggressively and play Boeser and Virtanen it makes for entertaining hockey. 

Benning has done an amazing job. In a few years he's filled a practically empty prospect pool. He's drafted very well and the future looks bright. He's also signed some good UFAs and I believe Del Zotto, Pouliot and Vanek are making a big difference. Green was a great hire as well, and he's getting everyone on the same page. Love his style of play and how he demands effort.

I don't see why we shouldn't be optimistic. I do agree that a championship usually needs some "stars" on their top line, but the Canucks are playing like a real team, a family, they have each others' backs. Amazing things can happen in this environment. They don't have highly paid stars on the team creating drama because they aren't getting enough ice time or starts. You play the right way and you're in the lineup. Everyone has bought in and they're winning. Can they sustain it? Who knows. What I do know is the Canucks have a lot more depth this year, so when the injuries do hit (and they already have), they'll be ready for it. This could be the Sedins' swan song this year, and I think it could be a very special year for this team. Everyone counted the Canucks out, I love that they're proving people wrong one game at a time.   

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

His next move should be locking up Gudbranson.  Next Canucks captain imo. 

The guy has absolutely 0 offensive ability... none. I'd rather have Bo as a captain. Love how guddy plays the game, don't get me wrong, but really has 0 offensive ability to warrant a raise. 

Guddy is already making 3.5... he really shouldn't get any more of a raise... extend this deal 2 more years. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

The guy has absolutely 0 offensive ability... none. I'd rather have Bo as a captain. Love how guddy plays the game, don't get me wrong, but really has 0 offensive ability to warrant a raise. 

Guddy is already making 3.5... he really shouldn't get any more of a raise... extend this deal 2 more years. 

dream on apollo

Just now, oldnews said:

dream on apollo

Please don't tell me his agent expects a guy that has a career high of 13 points to get north of 4 million... 

Who is a comparable to Guddy? Orpik? He's the only guy that comes to mind and he's making over 5 million... but even he has more offensive ability

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Please don't tell me his agent expects a guy that has a career high of 13 points to get north of 4 million... 

Who is a comparable to Guddy? Orpik? He's the only guy that comes to mind and he's making over 5 million... but even he has more offensive ability

this isn't fantasy hockey apollo. 

you may as well give it up early - whether you get his value or not - there's no bloody way Gudbranson is signing under 4 million.

Just now, apollo said:

First the trade for Ovechkin, and now this post?

giphy.gif

Archived