The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jason Garrison

Del Zotto, Pouliot, Hutton and Tanev have all been playing well, and the first two appear to have solid slap shots and are also solid defensively so far.  With them we essentially have what Jason brings offensively, while on defense it'd be great to have more size (Guddy so far).  However, it seems like things are going well with this mobile group-- Stech can hold his own and most of the mobile D-men can hit.  

Not sure what Jason brings, unless we bring him on for a p***off run as an extra shooter from the point (he does have a bomb from the back end).  Other than that I don't think we would go for him.

He's an upgrade IMO on our 7th dman which we will inevitably always be using since we always have a dman injured. The cap space is irrelevant to us and we could trade him at TDL or maybe take a hometown discount to play with us after this season on the third pairing. 

A hard 'NO'. He was slow as molasses 5 years ago. Nothing i have seen or heard has indicated that this reality hasn't worsened.

He would require a roster spot,which means demoting a more deserving player (Stecher/Boeser) or letting them go, to keep him in the team once the injuries are cleared up.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Garrison has some size, but doesn't really use it. Not the most physical player considering the excellent beard he sports.

He does have a ridiculous shot from the point though. That is a valuable asset.

I'm not so sure about that? He only has 10 goals in his 3 seasons since the trade.

Also, I seem to remember him missing the net A LOT.

52 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not so sure about that? He only has 10 goals in his 3 seasons since the trade.

Also, I seem to remember him missing the net A LOT.

That's what I remember as well, a booming shot that is 6 feet wide or high of the net isn't that useful.  And he wasn't exactly fleet of foot.  I'd rather use what we have in the system if and when needed.  I don't think he's any better than Biega at a considerably greater cost.  If he was offered up as the TB expansion option, then can't make the expansion team, not sure he's an improvement over anything we have.  

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Garrison might actually get traded now, he's more valuable once he's cleared waivers. Reinhart is a good example of why you need to be careful with early hype. 

Has he cleared?

I was never disappointed when he left. Nothing wrong with him? Just brought a whole lot we already had in Hamhuis & Edler. But none of the PMD qualities we needed. Which we are now starting to get in doses. From Hutton, Stech, Pouliot & MDZ. 

Emotionally I agree with an earlier sentiment. Send them Megna if cleared. But even then; it would be a good possibility Holm gets the next call-up. And Utica actually needs centers. Logically its a deal if they take Wiercioch. That presumes with Eriksson and Stecher on IR we accumulate enough LTIR credit that we won't be in a pickle with his cap?

37 minutes ago, skategal said:

That's what I remember as well, a booming shot that is 6 feet wide or high of the net isn't that useful.  And he wasn't exactly fleet of foot.  I'd rather use what we have in the system if and when needed.  I don't think he's any better than Biega at a considerably greater cost.  If he was offered up as the TB expansion option, then can't make the expansion team, not sure he's an improvement over anything we have.  

Biega hits hard and hits often. I barely remember Garrison throwing a hit for a player his size.

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Biega hits hard and hits often. I barely remember Garrison throwing a hit for a player his size.

He had enough size not to be pushed around in front of the net.

But no, never a big or violent hitter. Just looked up that Garrison had a career high 128 hits. Which is not bad? So I guess he did, sorta, hit people...

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He had enough size not to be pushed around in front of the net.

That is true.

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

But no, never a big or violent hitter. Just looked up that Garrison had a career high 128 hits. Which is not bad? So I guess he did, sorta, hit people...

I guess he was a decent presence on the blueline, he just never seemed to deter an aggressive forecheck or crease crashing the way Gudbranson has.

Just curious, which year did he have the career high with the hits? That's about 1.5 hits per game, which is alright. He never struck me as much in the way of a physical presence back there, and he was a very slow skater, and his shot was powerful, but errant.

Archived