The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

No worries.  To understand B-otch you'd have to forego thinking, like B-otch has - which isn't advised.

I don't really agree with this. You are suggesting that Botch is a simpleton, but actually he is a professional troll. Some of the posters here try to emulate him, but most of these amateurs have a long way to go before they can be in the same class as a pro like Botch.

25 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't really agree with this. You are suggesting that Botch is a simpleton, but actually he is a professional troll. Some of the posters here try to emulate him, but most of these amateurs have a long way to go before they can be in the same class as a pro like Botch.

I'm not suggesting he's a 'simpleton' - not really what I said - although you have a point.   What I'm saying is that I doubt Botchford bothers to put much thought into these questions.   The poster wonders why Botchford doesn't see/understand this team's process, why Botchford believes a transition/'rebuild' can only take place after the Sedins leave....I agree with you that he cuts to the chase of click-baiting with cheap provocation.  Does that make him unintelligent - I don't know - but his gig is pretty much just media noise in that he skips the process of analyzing what the team is doing, certainly doesn't contribute much if anything to an informed debate about the team.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Team culture is pretty damn important and that has always been the danger with the tank.  Buffalo should have a better record than they do based on talent.

This is such an important statement in this juncture where the CANUCKS find themselves in right now. We have a coach who preaches a "all hands on deck" philosophy and we have enough "character" players who practice what they preach and put hard work in on every shift. When was the last time we seen a Sedin back check and fore check so much? AND.......Find a hard working player such as Dorsett produce so much offensively?

This team and how they are coached reminds me of the 90's teams and that is very exciting. Even when we lost games back then it was entertaining because I knew they at least worked hard in the game. Coincidentally, this hard working type team usually does well in the playoffs as well.

I see the whole team work at getting the puck out of the DZone and into the Ozone without much effort as they are all working together. The goalies seem to not have to work too hard most nights as the team is playing very good defense in front of them minus the Boston game of course. :)

So far this year we have seen teams who rely on one or two stars(Price-Montreal and McDavid/Draisaitl-Edmonton) flounder a bit and teams with no stars(Las Vegas) do quite well. We are doing well even with the Sedins lack of offense so far on the PP and 5 on 5.

I foresee the team continuing their success if they continue to work hard night in and night out and they minimize the injuries. Its funny it seems the less "Superstars" you have on a team the harder they work. Benning has to be credited for finding these players who exude "character" in building a team that can compete with teams such as Edmonton and Washington even though we are considered in "a rebuild" and should not be beating teams like this. GCG!

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The comparison is likely just a point per game one, as elias is in the company of Forsberg alone in that SHL category, while others like nylander are behind. 

Good point.  Pettersson for me is a sure thing.  Hard to tell exactly what type of player he will be, but I like any comparison that is to a HHOfamer.  His highlight videos are sick, one thing I noticed was his go to deke is very similar to Bures, and you can't do that unless you have extreme speed and hand eye/stickhandling skill.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good point.  Pettersson for me is a sure thing.  Hard to tell exactly what type of player he will be, but I like any comparison that is to a HHOfamer.  His highlight videos are sick, one thing I noticed was his go to deke is very similar to Bures, and you can't do that unless you have extreme speed and hand eye/stickhandling skill.

No one is a sure thing. Will their skills be transferable to the NHL game? Can they handle the riggers of a 82 game schedule in this league? Will they become injury prone? Just because a player has high end skill does not mean they will have a successful NHL career. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Forsberg was more than a point producer.  He was a grinder too.  Much like Crosby he played the full sheet of ice, competing for every puck, and being a very hard player.  Nylander is proving a point producer, but a very soft perimeter player, who is easy to play against.  Pettersson is seemingly making effort to be a complete player.  

Petter Forsberg was also a physical beast and used his body as one of his weapons of choice. Are you talking about Petter or Filip?

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is such an important statement in this juncture where the CANUCKS find themselves in right now. We have a coach who preaches a "all hands on deck" philosophy and we have enough "character" players who practice what they preach and put hard work in on every shift. When was the last time we seen a Sedin back check and fore check so much? AND.......Find a hard working player such as Dorsett produce so much offensively?

This team and how they are coached reminds me of the 90's teams and that is very exciting. Even when we lost games back then it was entertaining because I knew they at least worked hard in the game. Coincidentally, this hard working type team usually does well in the playoffs as well.

I see the whole team work at getting the puck out of the DZone and into the Ozone without much effort as they are all working together. The goalies seem to not have to work too hard most nights as the team is playing very good defense in front of them minus the Boston game of course. :)

So far this year we have seen teams who rely on one or two stars(Price-Montreal and McDavid/Draisaitl-Edmonton) flounder a bit and teams with no stars(Las Vegas) do quite well. We are doing well even with the Sedins lack of offense so far on the PP and 5 on 5.

I foresee the team continuing their success if they continue to work hard night in and night out and they minimize the injuries. Its funny it seems the less "Superstars" you have on a team the harder they work. Benning has to be credited for finding these players who exude "character" in building a team that can compete with teams such as Edmonton and Washington even though we are considered in "a rebuild" and should not be beating teams like this. GCG!

Nice post.  This year so far is nothing like the predicted storyline.  Vegas and NJ are killing it, and NYR, MTL and even CHI are floundering like you mentioned...

Even LA who hasn't been a good regular season team when they were winning cups, and out of the playoffs two of the past three years is showing they are far from done ( same with hated Dustin Brown).

Benning is starting to look like a genuis the best case scenario though is not to be fooled, our team still has the Sedins and they are 1/4 of this team playing important minutes as the opposition doesn't know how to match up with them in the lineup, and who exactly do we have right now to replace them?  Boeser for Daniel looks like a possibility but it's too early to say for sure, and he's playing already.  Pettersson for Henrik but he's at least two years away, and likely five before he's making a similar impact.  

What I am getting at is if the team is second or third in our division at the deadline, will Benning have the stones to sell off the UFAs whose stock is higher than we could have hoped for (or Dorsett for example) to load up on picks, or will he stay put and hope for the best going into the playoffs....

Personally the right thing to do long term would be to sell no matter how well we are doing, but I'd be fine as long as we don't become buyers and lose picks.   We did this once before when WD came in, he was a hero but Calgary owned us ( minus Bieksa).  I love that we are winning, and hope we win a cup.  As we have learned anything can happen now with parity, and hot goaltending is all you really need to go deep.  I wonder if Benning will have the stones to sell regardless, and what would happen once we are in....this team is playing amazing, and i love that we can even discuss stuff like this at the end of October, 15% approx way in..

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nice post.  This year so far is nothing like the predicted storyline.  Vegas and NJ are killing it, and NYR, MTL and even CHI are floundering like you mentioned...

Even LA who hasn't been a good regular season team when they were winning cups, and out of the playoffs two of the past three years is showing they are far from done ( same with hated Dustin Brown).

Benning is starting to look like a genuis the best case scenario though is not to be fooled, our team still has the Sedins and they are 1/4 of this team playing important minutes as the opposition doesn't know how to match up with them in the lineup, and who exactly do we have right now to replace them?  Boeser for Daniel looks like a possibility but it's too early to say for sure, and he's playing already.  Pettersson for Henrik but he's at least two years away, and likely five before he's making a similar impact.  

What I am getting at is if the team is second or third in our division at the deadline, will Benning have the stones to sell off the UFAs whose stock is higher than we could have hoped for (or Dorsett for example) to load up on picks, or will he stay put and hope for the best going into the playoffs....

Personally the right thing to do long term would be to sell no matter how well we are doing, but I'd be fine as long as we don't become buyers and lose picks.   We did this once before when WD came in, he was a hero but Calgary owned us ( minus Bieksa).  I love that we are winning, and hope we win a cup.  As we have learned anything can happen now with parity, and hot goaltending is all you really need to go deep.  I wonder if Benning will have the stones to sell regardless, and what would happen once we are in....this team is playing amazing, and i love that we can even discuss stuff like this at the end of October, 15% approx way in..

Thanks. I have trust that Benning and Co. will do whatever they can to improve the team. Leave the picks alone and get something for the FA's if the right deal presents itself. Spend to the cap to fill in the gaps and go from there.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

No one is a sure thing. Will their skills be transferable to the NHL game? Can they handle the riggers of a 82 game schedule in this league? Will they become injury prone? Just because a player has high end skill does not mean they will have a successful NHL career. 

Absolutely.  Daigle and Stefan would agree ( less with Daigle given he was actually a decent player, just not the super star he was advertised as).  However some players have much higher probability, and for me Pettersson fits the bill.  THN agrees, have him joining us in two years, what do you think?  Does he have it or do you think odds are against him? 

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Daigle and Stefan would agree ( less with Daigle given he was actually a decent player, just not the super star he was advertised as).  However some players have much higher probability, and for me Pettersson fits the bill.  THN agrees, have him joining us in two years, what do you think?  Does he have it or do you think odds are against him? 

You are talking to someone who has had high hopes for Jake. So Pettersson is high on my list. He just needs time. Juolevi is no different. That is why I hope we still draft in the top ten for a couple more years. It takes two to four years to develop most prospects. That just gets them to the show and then then continue down their path at this level. Even once they make the big show they can still fade away to never be seen from again. Last year looks like a good draft and a couple more like that could get us to the level where the fans will really be drooling.

Just now, appleboy said:

You are talking to someone who has had high hopes for Jake. So Pettersson is high on my list. He just needs time. Juolevi is no different. That is why I hope we still draft in the top ten for a couple more years. It takes two to four years to develop most prospects. That just gets them to the show and then then continue down their path at this level. Even once they make the big show they can still fade away to never be seen from again. Last year looks like a good draft and a couple more like that could get us to the level where the fans will really be drooling.

I'm with you on the drafting hopes...but if we make the playoffs I hope Benning can keep finding Boessers....

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm with you on the drafting hopes...but if we make the playoffs I hope Benning can keep finding Boessers....

I am not sold on the playoffs just yet but it is going to be a fun season to watch. Our top scorer is a rookie who played college last year. Will he fade? Will Guddy sign or will they be able to move him for something of value? Will Gaudette sign this year and play a few games like Boeser did? If Dorsett has a good year and we are out of the playoff hunt will they move him? Might they try to move a goal tender latter this season. Demko might be ready to go. Will we see Demko play some games this year? There is tons of things to keep our eyes on. 

Will Benning swing a deal for a ready made star? (I doubt this one)

While the team doing far better this season is lovely to see, I think our prospect pool is underestimated by most.  

We are a little short on likely elite talent but have tons of quality 2nd and third line guys in the system and perhaps one or two guys for the first as well.  If you consider what we had a short 2 years ago compared to now it is night and day.

There is reason for the optimism.  The only thing I would like to see is one or two more high end potential 1st line prospects, and a pmd prospect not named Juolevi.  I'd also caution that we are relying on Demko to be our guy and that remains to be seen.  With that said, Nilsson is doing well, dipietro my be decent himself, and not many teams have two elite goaltending prospects anyway.

Overall though, we are managing our current record without any obvious stars and many coming through the pipe.  

#stoked

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Markstrom and dipietro are not high end. 

Our forward group is not ALL high end. 

There are some prospects who have chance to get there but it's ludicrous to claim they are all high end.. 

As prospects, they are all high end. Who knows if they will be NHL stars or not. Their stat sheets say they are high end; I'm just a parrot.

On 2017-10-28 at 6:15 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No one here ever seems to realize that every other NHL team has an equivalent stable of 'high-end' prospects (of course, I'm using your definition of 'high-end' here, which includes the entire medium-end).  Just look at what Vegas has, and they've only been building a prospect-pool for a few months now!

So has Benning ;)

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I go to some of the season ticket holder events and you just don't get the sense that losing/tanking is even remotely in the cards with Linden and Benning, to the annoyance of a lot of the fanbase actually. 

I guess its possible that a frustration could set in an guys could start giving up but over the next 2 seasons there's going to be so much renewal and excitement with younger players its going to be ok. I wonder if some of the issues in Buffalo is getting a guy like Jack E too early? or did the GM not have a decent plan to build the team in that time? 

The former GM (Tim Murray) had too many misses on the chances that he took with players.  That ended up surprising me a bit because he helped assemble the Stanley Cup team in Anaheim.

Right now I'm worried that there is a pervasive culture of losing that is threatening to settle in.  The new GM (Jason Botterill) will have to do a hefty tear-down if that truly turns out to be the case this season.

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The former GM (Tim Murray) had too many misses on the chances that he took with players.  That ended up surprising me a bit because he helped assemble the Stanley Cup team in Anaheim.

Right now I'm worried that there is a pervasive culture of losing that is threatening to settle in.  The new GM (Jason Botterill) will have to do a hefty tear-down if that truly turns out to be the case this season.

huh, thats too bad. Buffalo is one of the eastern teams I actually like (mostly because they aren't named Toronto or Montreal :P). 

Just going off cap friendly I don't see that it has to be a full tear down. O'Reilly Okposo, Eichel, even Sam R, another puck moving youngish D its not that far off maybe?

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

huh, thats too bad. Buffalo is one of the eastern teams I actually like (mostly because they aren't named Toronto or Montreal :P). 

Just going off cap friendly I don't see that it has to be a full tear down. O'Reilly Okposo, Eichel, even Sam R, another puck moving youngish D its not that far off maybe?

Their top 2 lines are fine.  Although the second line is having a slow year so far. The bottom 2 needs upgrades.  The defence is seriously mediocre.

Archived