The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

On 10/28/2017 at 5:54 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Unless the Canucks have a mid-season collapse, I don't see the culture changing negatively.  With the team getting younger, injuries shouldn't be as big of a problem this year.

Yeah, the team is basically at the bottoming-out phase of the rebuild now, with some youth in and being established and the last of the old core nearly gone.  Lots more young players coming in over the next few years, so it'll depend how well they've "buffered" for them.  So far with the likes of Sutter, Tanev, Dorsett, Gudbranson, MDZ, etc. it looks like we many have a reasonably soft landing and transition.  Expectations are also bottomed-out, so missing the playoffs this year won't be a disappointment.  Injuries are what really did the team in the past two years alright.

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Markstrom and dipietro are not high end. 

Our forward group is not ALL high end. 

There are some prospects who have chance to get there but it's ludicrous to claim they are all high end.. 

I agree.  I see Pettersson as having a high ceiling and maybe Dahlen.  I see several others as possible to likely 2nd liners, though there is always a chance one of the kids will truly step up like maybe a Lind, Palmu, or Goldobin. 

The thing is that while the chances of a guy truly being a standout player is mathematically small, we have so much depth that I feel one or two guys are likely to surprise and end up a really strong 2nd liner or perhaps even an average 1st liner.  

So combine a handful of 2nd liners with 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 first liners, along with our already solid existing core and you have a playoff team for sure there.

...and the excess talent gets combined and shipped out for that true #1 pmd. Even if Juolevi is as hoped, one more high end d would be a huge help... Especially on the pp. 

Assuming Demko is what we hope, that all comes together to be what I believe is a cup-contending team in 2... Maybe 3 years.

So from a dying team to contenders in 5 years? Thats fine by me.

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Team culture is pretty damn important and that has always been the danger with the tank.  Buffalo should have a better record than they do based on talent.

The 2 year long tank took it's toll (as expected) but the several years of losing before it and the 2 years since have done even more damage.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

The 2 year long tank took it's toll (as expected) but the several years of losing before it and the 2 years since have done even more damage.

That's an interesting point. 

I suppose it's a integrative thing.  You can have young talent, but if you have Tim Murray steering the ship, chances are it'll remain mediocre - and the same point trickles down to coaching, scouting, etc.  Really, a franchise has to 'rebuild' / build (whatever) it's entire organization - it's obviously not good enough to simply collect some elite picks - team building runs a whole lot deeper than that.

Just now, oldnews said:

That's an interesting point. 

I suppose it's a integrative thing.  You can have young talent, but if you have Tim Murray steering the ship, chances are it'll remain mediocre - and the same point trickles down to coaching, scouting, etc.  Really, a franchise has to 'rebuild' / build (whatever) it's entire organization - it's obviously not good enough to simply collect some elite picks - team building runs a whole lot deeper than that.

The new GM, Jason Botterill, agrees with you.  He gutted both coaching and scouting to the bone.  Two or three of the scouts that he dismissed had been with the Sabres for 10-15 years.  One was even a former player.

He was ruthless.  Can't really blame him though even though it was sad to see the former player/scout go.  His daughter was even a part of the organization.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The new GM, Jason Botterill, agrees with you.  He gutted both coaching and scouting to the bone.  Two or three of the scouts that he dismissed had been with the Sabres for 10-15 years.  One was even a former player.

He was ruthless.  Can't really blame him though even though it was sad to see the former player/scout go.  His daughter was even a part of the organization.

I like Botterill.  He reminds me of my brother-in-law.

I think Buffalo has a far better chance of turning it around now that Murray is gone.

Always liked that franchise, but couldn't stand to watch what they've been doing the past half decade or so.

Big fan of Phil Housley as well - hope he's as good a coach as he was a player, but haven't seen much of Buffalo this year aside from watching the Canucks relatively dominate them

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like Botterill.  He reminds me of my brother-in-law.

I think Buffalo has a far better chance of turning it around now that Murray is gone.

Always liked that franchise, but couldn't stand to watch what they've been doing the past half decade or so.

Big fan of Phil Housley as well - hope he's as good a coach as he was a player, but haven't seen much of Buffalo this year aside from watching the Canucks relatively dominate them

The only line producing is the Kane-Eichel-Pominville line.  They're each scoring a point per game right now.  The rest of the team is in a lull.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only line producing is the Kane-Eichel-Pominville line.  They're each scoring a point per game right now.  The rest of the team is in a lull.

Just 12 games in to a new managment/coaching group - they may have Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Reilly - but maybe still have lots of work to do?

Not sure they can just flick a switch on a new culture.   Some people poopoo the idea of maintaining standards while/through losing, but there are some pretty compelling examples of what not to do.

Just now, oldnews said:

Just 12 games in to a new managment/coaching group - they may have Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Reilly - but maybe still have lots of work to do?

Not sure they can just flick a switch on a new culture.   Some people poopoo the idea of maintaining standards while/through losing, but there are some pretty compelling examples of what not to do.

I just think it's a combination of too much losing taking its toll on the culture mixed with Tim Murray's moves that failed to pan out.

Botterill and Housley have their work cut out for themselves this season and next.  It's tough to make people care about their jobs if they already don't. 

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I go to some of the season ticket holder events and you just don't get the sense that losing/tanking is even remotely in the cards with Linden and Benning, to the annoyance of a lot of the fanbase actually. 

I guess its possible that a frustration could set in an guys could start giving up but over the next 2 seasons there's going to be so much renewal and excitement with younger players its going to be ok. I wonder if some of the issues in Buffalo is getting a guy like Jack E too early? or did the GM not have a decent plan to build the team in that time? 

They have Eichel for so long, IF the losing carries on for half his contract(s) time they will have four or five other great picks to add, if two more years than two ( well u get it).  So far they have lost close games this year low scoring games this year, with a little more firepower those are wins....

Also the season is early yet.  E. Kane has been a monster, collecting short handed goals and scoring at a 90 point rate, Eichel is a PPG as expected but is showing he makes his line mates better all the things you want to see from a future mega star.  

I think management needs to draft well for a year or two and then  enter playoff  tweak mode for a couple years,  and then this team should be battling TO and Mathews and co for conference bragging rights for years to come ( once TB is done of course)...

What I like about what Benning has created with our prospect pool is he's drafted an entire team. It seems everyone he picks not only has great potential to make the NHL but they could also slot into their own position/spot in a future Canucks lineup.

Its almost like Benning knows what he's doing. 

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, the team is basically at the bottoming-out phase of the rebuild now, with some youth in and being established and the last of the old core nearly gone.  Lots more young players coming in over the next few years, so it'll depend how well they've "buffered" for them.  So far with the likes of Sutter, Tanev, Dorsett, Gudbranson, MDZ, etc. it looks like we many have a reasonably soft landing and transition.  Expectations are also bottomed-out, so missing the playoffs this year won't be a disappointment.  Injuries are what really did the team in the past two years alright.

Possibly on the bottoming out, possibly not, it all depends what happens once the Sedins retire and who we promote or sign to replace them and how the team does without them.  One could debate that their impact on the scoreboard and the results is still considerable given the other coaches have a hard time deciding what line to put out against them and it is helping us win. It's subjective for sure, maybe the team won't miss them, maybe it will take a year or more for things to settle down, which could include more high picks.

Bennings and Green have made this team a winner so far this year, a lot could happen still but it looks like the playoffs are a real chance at his point.

I think if we make them the Sedins will sign another year, if we don't they will hang them up.  Is Pettersson, Demko and Juolevi enough with what we already have in place to be a contender?  Or enough to enter the cycle of mediocrity?  Personally I think we need two more Boeser like picks to make this work, one defenseman and one more forward and that is only if the above mentioned prospects excel, otherwise competing for the playoffs is the most we can hope for.

On October 29, 2017 at 1:15 PM, WHL rocks said:

Markstrom and dipietro are not high end. 

Our forward group is not ALL high end. 

There are some prospects who have chance to get there but it's ludicrous to claim they are all high end.. 

Dipietro 18 -- is a a very high end goalie, this year on a average team 1.78 ga --SA % 945

last year he was a big reason why Windsor won the Memorial cup as 17 yr old goalie

He should make canada world Jr U20 team this Xmas .

Great future..

Demko -21 - Will be a top goalie in NHL for many year and should be backup next season..

Don't want to rush a great young goalie...

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

Dipietro 18 -- is a a very high end goalie, this year on a average team 1.78 ga --SA % 945

last year he was a big reason why Windsor won the Memorial cup as 17 yr old goalie

He should make canada world Jr U20 team this Xmas .

Great future..

Demko -21 - Will be a top goalie in NHL for many year and should be backup next season..

Don't want to rush a great young goalie...

No doubt we all have high hopes for demko 

On point dipietro . Kid is too small for today's NHL 

On 29/10/2017 at 7:52 PM, kloubek said:

I agree.  I see Pettersson as having a high ceiling and maybe Dahlen.  I see several others as possible to likely 2nd liners, though there is always a chance one of the kids will truly step up like maybe a Lind, Palmu, or Goldobin. 

The thing is that while the chances of a guy truly being a standout player is mathematically small, we have so much depth that I feel one or two guys are likely to surprise and end up a really strong 2nd liner or perhaps even an average 1st liner.  

So combine a handful of 2nd liners with 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 first liners, along with our already solid existing core and you have a playoff team for sure there.

...and the excess talent gets combined and shipped out for that true #1 pmd. Even if Juolevi is as hoped, one more high end d would be a huge help... Especially on the pp. 

Assuming Demko is what we hope, that all comes together to be what I believe is a cup-contending team in 2... Maybe 3 years.

So from a dying team to contenders in 5 years? Thats fine by me.

Pettersson won't be 1c for 5 plus years.  I was high on OJ but we need future 1d . He's looking like a top 4 d right now. 

I'm not convinced about Goldobin. Lind Chatfield gaudette look good right now 

Long ways to go. 5 plus years.  To contend. 

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Careful.  Criticism is considered high treason on CDC.  

It's ok to  e high on a prospect. I'm high on pettersson.

I was thinking that about O.J. still have hope he'll be an Adam Larsson. We need 1d next draft. Looks good so far but long before we contend. 

Archived