The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Pettersson won't be 1c for 5 plus years.  I was high on OJ but we need future 1d . He's looking like a top 4 d right now. 

I'm not convinced about Goldobin. Lind Chatfield gaudette look good right now 

Long ways to go. 5 plus years.  To contend. 

Not sure I quite agree with your thinking here, but it's all personal opinion.  

For Pettersson, I don't feel his skill is the issue to have him playing in the NHL in short order.  I think he does, however, need to adjust to the North American game and gain some muscle.  I expect to see him in the 2c position in maybe 2 years, and in the 1c in 3-4.  So I guess maybe we're not that far apart in our expectations there.

Goldobin - I'm not "convinced" at all either.  However, looking at our forward prospects I feel he has the highest ceiling beside Dahlen and Pettersson.  

For the three guys you listed, I think they all show strong promise but I don't feel that any of those three are likely to have high ceilings.  (Lind being the possible exception.  When you have a hockey IQ like he does, anything is possible)

Regardless, I think we are both on the same page when it comes to saying we are looking pretty ok in the prospect/future department.

To me, our prospects look like this:

Center

Petersson  - definitely high end, to be a 1c in about 3-4 years, mostly just needs to 1) gaining some weight/strength, and 2) adjust to the smaller rink. Potential All-Star material, in his best years; just not every year.

Gaudette - by end of next year, to be our 3c, with a ceiling of a poor team's 2c.

Gaunce - ceiling is 3c, at best but more likely 4c (or 4w).

McEwen - ceiling is 4c, with pretty much just as likely a high end AHL

Wing

Dahlen - though he can play C, I believe he is being looked at as a winger. So...poor team's 1w, more likely 2w

Boeser - ceiling is 1w, All-Star material. Not quite Bure, but the closest we've been since then.

Goldobin - ceiling is 2w. However, it will have to be on a team that wants to utilize his known offensive skills, and are willing to overlook his defensive shortcomings. I'm not sure he's gonna be much around here. My personal opinion is that he comes up for a 15-20 game cameo at the end of the season (after Vanek is traded) to highlight him for trade, or that he stays in Utica, leads the team in scoring and is trade bait.

Lind - between  Dahlen and Boeser...ceiling of a 1w, but not All-Star

Virtanen - a strong 3w, capable of around 20g yearly (depending on his center), good two way, feared hitter, hopefully learns the game completely and becomes a super-sized Honey Badger!

Gadjovich - ceiling of 2w, at absolute best, but more likely a 3w that gets good PP time.

Lockwood - 3 or 4w, another Honey Badger type

Rodin - capable of 2w; I just don't think he's going to get that needed break here. Kinda sad, the guy has done everything asked of him to make the team, but his health (or lack of) keeps screwing him out of it.

Defense

Stetcher - I still consider him in the prospect pool. That being said...5-6 Dman. Some PP time, but just too small to count on full time

Poulliott - also 5-6. He's got the size and offensive skill. Can he bring it in his zone consistently?

Juolevi - a 2-3 player. Don't think he has the full offensive skills of a true #1, but his peak will have everything but that

Brisebois - 3-4, a poor man's Tanev

Chatfield - 4-6, more likely in the low end.

Gunnarsson - 5-8; needs consistency and experience to get to his potential, likely as a stay-at-home type (Guddy Lite?)

Brassard - 5-8 also, pretty much in the same package as Chatfield, just a year or two behind him in experience

Tryamkin - though I have my doubts he will ever play here again, my take is: 2-3. Teamed with Juolevi, when he is able to come back (the 20-21 season), we could have a pretty good top pairing.

Goal

Thatcher - a true #1, ceiling is All-Star in his best years

DiPietro - haven't seen enough, really, but maybe a good #2

Anyone not mentioned, I don't think will ever make it past the AHL. That gives us (for the 20-21 season):

Lind - Petersson - Boeser (A)

Baer - Horvat (C)- Dahlen

Virt - Gaudette - Gadjovich

Gaunce - MacEwen - Lockwood

Tanev (A)- Juolevi

Hutton - Guddy

Brisebois - Stetch

Chatfield - Gunnarsson

Thatcher

DiPietro

At full potential, this team could be in contention for the title. Obviously, injuries, the cap, and other unforeseen circumstances could change this.

16 hours ago, wildcam said:

Dipietro 18 -- is a a very high end goalie, this year on a average team 1.78 ga --SA % 945

last year he was a big reason why Windsor won the Memorial cup as 17 yr old goalie

He should make canada world Jr U20 team this Xmas .

Great future..

Demko -21 - Will be a top goalie in NHL for many year and should be backup next season..

Don't want to rush a great young goalie...

Diepetro was the goalie of the year in the OHL, nothing wrong with that and could be the best in his draft year.  Demko isn't as touted as Markstrom was but most consider him a NHL caliber goalie.  It would be interesting to see how he does at this level, given what the second and third stringers in Vegas managed before they got injured, it makes one realize how razor thin the difference between an AHL goalie and NHL goalie really is.

Markstrom has exceeded expectations IMO this year and is finally playing more like his high praise years ago suggested he would.  It's very rare that a goalie in his early twenties cracks a roster and takes over a spot now, the seasoning is considered a rite of passage.  Fluery was the last teenager to see some games, Murray and Jones are the only guys in recent times to become number ones in their early twenties.   Most fit the  Markstrom bill, getting their first line chances in their mid to late twenties.  Talbot.  Thomas. Darling. Reimer.  Elliot.  Anderson.  Hellerbuchyuk, Bobrovsky, Holtbeast etc.  Nothing wrong with taking your time with these guys which is why it's smart to pick a goalie almost every year until you get a winner.

Demko's turn will probably come in two or three years, unless he gets some games and pushes the other guys out. Nilsson also has looked very sharp in all but one game....

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Pettersson won't be 1c for 5 plus years.  I was high on OJ but we need future 1d . He's looking like a top 4 d right now. 

I'm not convinced about Goldobin. Lind Chatfield gaudette look good right now 

Long ways to go. 5 plus years.  To contend. 

5 plus years..?..I don't think so.It won't be as long as that....We obviously don't have a 'generational player' or an 'uber elite player' as of yet...If you don't have those kind of players the other option is to build a team that has consistent balance on all 4 lines..This will counter the 'top heavy' teams...

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Diepetro was the goalie of the year in the OHL, nothing wrong with that and could be the best in his draft year.  Demko isn't as touted as Markstrom was but most consider him a NHL caliber goalie.  It would be interesting to see how he does at this level, given what the second and third stringers in Vegas managed before they got injured, it makes one realize how razor thin the difference between an AHL goalie and NHL goalie really is.

Markstrom has exceeded expectations IMO this year and is finally playing more like his high praise years ago suggested he would.  It's very rare that a goalie in his early twenties cracks a roster and takes over a spot now, the seasoning is considered a rite of passage.  Fluery was the last teenager to see some games, Murray and Jones are the only guys in recent times to become number ones in their early twenties.   Most fit  the  Markstrom bill, getting their first line chances in their mid to late twenties.  Talbot.  Thomas. Darling. Reimer.  Elliot.  Anderson.  Hellerbuchyuk, Bobrovsky, Holtbeast etc.  Nothing wrong with taking your time with these guys which is why it's smart to pick a goalie almost every year until you get a winner.

Demko's turn will probably come in two or three years, unless he gets some games and pushes the other guys out. Nilsson also has looked very sharp in all but one game....

Demko has been compared to Cory Schneider, Demko broke his records in college and both played in U20 for USA.. Most experts are saying Demko has all the great natural talent and has done great in AHL for a average team.. Will be great to watch some of the great prospects we have..

I live in Victoria so going to watch Kole Lind tonight and tomorrow night..Excited to see how good Lind is against a very good Victoria team..

On October 28, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Battlemonger said:

That lineup is sick. And there still is Gaunce, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu to think about.

that line up is very good.... All will improve and be at least a 90 -95 point team and very very young!!

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No doubt we all have high hopes for demko 

On point dipietro . Kid is too small for today's NHL 

your out to lunch the kids going to be a very good NHL goalie..

One of the best goalies in NHL name is Quick 6'1 ???

Dipietro 6'0 won goalie of CHL and really helped Windsor win Memorial cup as 17 yr old..

He will be on team Canada world U20 team this year?? 

You don't understand  talent? Dipietro will be above average NHL goalie in 5 yrs..

7 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

To me, our prospects look like this:

Center

Petersson  - definitely high end, to be a 1c in about 3-4 years, mostly just needs to 1) gaining some weight/strength, and 2) adjust to the smaller rink. Potential All-Star material, in his best years; just not every year.

Gaudette - by end of next year, to be our 3c, with a ceiling of a poor team's 2c.

Gaunce - ceiling is 3c, at best but more likely 4c (or 4w).

McEwen - ceiling is 4c, with pretty much just as likely a high end AHL

Wing

Dahlen - though he can play C, I believe he is being looked at as a winger. So...poor team's 1w, more likely 2w

Boeser - ceiling is 1w, All-Star material. Not quite Bure, but the closest we've been since then.

Goldobin - ceiling is 2w. However, it will have to be on a team that wants to utilize his known offensive skills, and are willing to overlook his defensive shortcomings. I'm not sure he's gonna be much around here. My personal opinion is that he comes up for a 15-20 game cameo at the end of the season (after Vanek is traded) to highlight him for trade, or that he stays in Utica, leads the team in scoring and is trade bait.

Lind - between  Dahlen and Boeser...ceiling of a 1w, but not All-Star

Virtanen - a strong 3w, capable of around 20g yearly (depending on his center), good two way, feared hitter, hopefully learns the game completely and becomes a super-sized Honey Badger!

Gadjovich - ceiling of 2w, at absolute best, but more likely a 3w that gets good PP time.

Lockwood - 3 or 4w, another Honey Badger type

Rodin - capable of 2w; I just don't think he's going to get that needed break here. Kinda sad, the guy has done everything asked of him to make the team, but his health (or lack of) keeps screwing him out of it.

Defense

Stetcher - I still consider him in the prospect pool. That being said...5-6 Dman. Some PP time, but just too small to count on full time

Poulliott - also 5-6. He's got the size and offensive skill. Can he bring it in his zone consistently?

Juolevi - a 2-3 player. Don't think he has the full offensive skills of a true #1, but his peak will have everything but that

Brisebois - 3-4, a poor man's Tanev

Chatfield - 4-6, more likely in the low end.

Gunnarsson - 5-8; needs consistency and experience to get to his potential, likely as a stay-at-home type (Guddy Lite?)

Brassard - 5-8 also, pretty much in the same package as Chatfield, just a year or two behind him in experience

Tryamkin - though I have my doubts he will ever play here again, my take is: 2-3. Teamed with Juolevi, when he is able to come back (the 20-21 season), we could have a pretty good top pairing.

Goal

Thatcher - a true #1, ceiling is All-Star in his best years

DiPietro - haven't seen enough, really, but maybe a good #2

Anyone not mentioned, I don't think will ever make it past the AHL. That gives us (for the 20-21 season):

Lind - Petersson - Boeser (A)

Baer - Horvat (C)- Dahlen

Virt - Gaudette - Gadjovich

Gaunce - MacEwen - Lockwood

Tanev (A)- Juolevi

Hutton - Guddy

Brisebois - Stetch

Chatfield - Gunnarsson

Thatcher

DiPietro

At full potential, this team could be in contention for the title. Obviously, injuries, the cap, and other unforeseen circumstances could change this.

Great great post I agree with everything except smaller D men are going to be big part of NHL now. faster just look at Nashville.. Stretcher will be a #3 D man..

Thanks for your great post..Going to watch Lind play tonight and tomorrow night..See how he plays against a very good Royals team..

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

Demko has been compared to Cory Schneider, Demko broke his records in college and both played in U20 for USA.. Most experts are saying Demko has all the great natural talent and has done great in AHL for a average team.. Will be great to watch some of the great prospects we have..

I live in Victoria so going to watch Kole Lind tonight and tomorrow night..Excited to see how good Lind is against a very good Victoria team..

That's cool that you get to watch Lind, keep us posted in what you think about his abilities.   Demko's career path is very similar to Schneiders, if thats what we end up with the next core will have every opportunity to make some waves.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's cool that you get to watch Lind, keep us posted in what you think about his abilities.   Demko's career path is very similar to Schneiders, if thats what we end up with the next core will have every opportunity to make some waves.

Game last night Royals lost 4-2 to Kelowna... Best player on the ice for both teams was big 6'4 Cole Foote  a draft pick Tampa Bay.. Canucks #32 pick in 2017 look okay had 2 assists giving him 27 points -- 16 games..

Game was okay tonight should be more exciting..

Give you a update on tonights game tomorrow..

On 11/3/2017 at 12:50 PM, Honky Cat said:

5 plus years..?..I don't think so.It won't be as long as that....We obviously don't have a 'generational player' or an 'uber elite player' as of yet...If you don't have those kind of players the other option is to build a team that has consistent balance on all 4 lines..This will counter the 'top heavy' teams...

NO 1 C no 1 D and you think this team is going to contend for the Cup? Are you serious or just wishfull thinking. 

Give me an example of a team that is considered a Cup contender with those needs. 

They had a decent start under a new coach and some on CDC are starting to lose their minds. THis is a bottom 10 team in the NHL. Most likely bottom 5 this year. 

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

NO 1 C no 1 D and you think this team is going to contend for the Cup? Are you serious or just wishfull thinking. 

Give me an example of a team that is considered a Cup contender with those needs. 

They had a decent start under a new coach and some on CDC are starting to lose their minds. THis is a bottom 10 team in the NHL. Most likely bottom 5 this year. 

After the last few games and especially last night, I hope you feel differently. Definitely NOT a bottom 5 team. I'd say they are middle of the pack this year.

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Never said Vancouver is a cup contender?? Vancouver will be a 85 - 90 point team fighting for last playoff spot in western conference...Vancouver will be hard working, playing a great system under coach Green.

Lots of good players in system under 24 yrs old..Right now on big club under 24, Horvat 22, Boeser 21, Virtanen 21,Stretcher 23, Hutton 23..

We have at least 6 player in Utica that will be in NHL in next 2 yrs Demko G and Goldobin W next season.. Last years draft top 4 picks will all make NHL,.. Future is bright and exciting..Not sure about cup as everything has to be perfect and you need some luck with injuries but Vancouver will be top 10 team again....Look at Nashville last year injuries stopped them short of cup final...

GO CANUCKS GO...

You are so so wrong about Dipietro..This goalie will be a regular NHL guy..

Demko will be even better, Canucks #1 goalie for years..

I don't think anyone can realistically look at the team this year and see it as a cup contender, but what they have done is give the fanbase a reason to get excited for the future. I believe the best thing this regime is doing is letting prospects develop and mature a long way away from the scrutiny here in Vancouver. It has allowed Boeser and Virtanen to come here as mature young men more capable of handling the bubble of playing here. You see other prospects continuing to develop overseas, in juniors, the AHL and the NCAA and are having success. You see on other teams where prospects are given too much too soon. Sam Bennett in Calgary is a great example of a player that needed more time to develop before coming to the NHL and now that he is struggling he doesn't have the confidence or maturity to know how to handle it. It's made even more difficult playing in a hockey mad market like Calgary. One of the most important attributes Jim Benning brought when he was hired was his understanding that rushing a player into the NHL can irreversibly hurt a prospects development. Benning was never the same when the Leafs rushed him into the lineup as a first round draft pick.

I'm excited to keep tracking the development of our prospects at all levels. I am very interested to see what a mature prospect like Adam Gaudette can bring next year. There is a quantity of quality in the prospect pool and there are real reasons for people to get excited.

Archived