The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Harris vs Ben Shapiro

Dral

Skip to the 15 minute mark and he says he'll be going on Sam's podcast in the near future.

Possibly the 2 greatest debaters alive today, it's easy to disagree with any number of their individual view points, but it's tough not to respect them both... and really tough not to fear having to debate either one of them

EDIT:

For anyone who doesn't know who Ben Shapiro or Sam is - a best of compilation - I highly recommend you watch more of both of these guys, if only to better understand the argument for the other side -

58 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is there going to be a topic chosen for their time together? I don't know Shapiro particularly well, but I'm aware that he's a right-wing political guy. 

It sounds like the main topic will be religion (and free will)...

Shapiro is a Zionist first and an American somewhere down the line. He is a former writer at Breitbart News the website that backed Donald Trump and gave America Steve Bannon.

Shapiro's views on BLM, GLBTQ, Single Payer Health Care and other social issues are offensive and discriminating imo.  With his flowery delivery and great command of the english language packaged in a - I got your back kind of tone is distrurbing to me.

I have little respect for him.

13 minutes ago, 6string said:

Shapiro is a Zionist first and an American somewhere down the line. He is a former writer at Breitbart News the website that backed Donald Trump and gave America Steve Bannon.

Shapiro's views on BLM, GLBTQ, Single Payer Health Care and other social issues are offensive and discriminating imo.  With his flowery delivery and great command of the english language packaged in a - I got your back kind of tone is distrurbing to me.

yah I've found his schtick tiresome too. Don't like LGBT anti-discrimination laws? Argue the "government" should get out of marriage and claim some equivalence has been met. Pretty sad stuff. Its the same old populism that comes and goes every generation, it just seems new to younger readers. 

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

He quit Breitbart because of that

Shapiro wrote. “Indeed, Breitbart News, under the chairmanship of Steve Bannon, has put a stake through the heart of Andrew’s legacy. In my opinion, Steve Bannon is a bully, and has sold out Andrew’s mission in order to back another bully, Donald Trump; he has shaped the company into Trump’s personal Pravda, to the extent that he abandoned and undercut his own reporter, Breitbart News’ Michelle Fields, in order to protect Trump’s bully campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who allegedly assaulted Michelle.”

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Shapiro is a great debater, but he has chosen ideology over knowledge. He cares more about winning arguments than he does about being right. 

1 hour ago, 6string said:

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah I've found his schtick tiresome too. Don't like LGBT anti-discrimination laws? Argue the "government" should get out of marriage and claim some equivalence has been met. Pretty sad stuff. Its the same old populism that comes and goes every generation, it just seems new to younger readers. 

45 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Shapiro wrote. “Indeed, Breitbart News, under the chairmanship of Steve Bannon, has put a stake through the heart of Andrew’s legacy. In my opinion, Steve Bannon is a bully, and has sold out Andrew’s mission in order to back another bully, Donald Trump; he has shaped the company into Trump’s personal Pravda, to the extent that he abandoned and undercut his own reporter, Breitbart News’ Michelle Fields, in order to protect Trump’s bully campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who allegedly assaulted Michelle.”

It's kinda awesome that you guys are talking more about Shapiro then Harris... it's reflective as a community how we lean... and I honestly agree... still he brings up a very good point - if you actually listen to what people like Peter Schiff have to say - the government is the biggest obstacle for westerners to actually make money in the west ... they're also the biggest obstacle when it comes to creating a free and racist-free society....

Neither Shapiro or Harris are really racist or bigots - they both believe strongly in a better world. They both speak in a way that could be deemed "populist" but really its "effective communication".

The one thing that I can't ever really argue against, and the thing that scares me the most if I ever had to debate either of them, is that they both use facts to back up their argument. When they appeal to emotion, they deliberately acknowledge it... and then they back it up with statistics (which you can then verify and look up yourself).

They are both incredibly savy to the way our current digital age works, and they both have a clear idea how how to pander and sell it... doesn't mean they are wrong

Who's gonna win? I'd put money all in... on a tie

25 minutes ago, Dral said:

It's kinda awesome that you guys are talking more about Shapiro then Harris... it's reflective as a community how we lean... and I honestly agree... still he brings up a very good point - if you actually listen to what people like Peter Schiff have to say - the government is the biggest obstacle for westerners to actually make money in the west ... they're also the biggest obstacle when it comes to creating a free and racist-free society....

thats actually very funny. Its like saying the biggest cause of car accidents is cars. Government is just a tool in the box. It can be used for very good things. It does some very dumb things. But ultimately its a force for a lot of good particularly in a place like Canada. Its pretty hard to develop things like a Chart of Rights without good government. 

43 minutes ago, Dral said:

Neither Shapiro or Harris are really racist or bigots - they both believe strongly in a better world. They both speak in a way that could be deemed "populist" but really its "effective communication".

The one thing that I can't ever really argue against, and the thing that scares me the most if I ever had to debate either of them, is that they both use facts to back up their argument. When they appeal to emotion, they deliberately acknowledge it... and then they back it up with statistics (which you can then verify and look up yourself).

They are both incredibly savy to the way our current digital age works, and they both have a clear idea how how to pander and sell it... doesn't mean they are wrong

Who's gonna win? I'd put money all in... on a tie

I know little or nothing about Harris, Shapiro I know very well.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Shapiro complained about anti-semitism the ace card when things aren't going your way, Shapiro was a Cruz  supporter and left Breitbart.

Cruz is on record for saying in this 2016 to AIPAC, " God bless AIPAC, Paelstine hasn't  existed since 1948.

We know where Shapiro's loyalties are.

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats actually very funny. Its like saying the biggest cause of car accidents is cars. Government is just a tool in the box. It can be used for very good things. It does some very dumb things. But ultimately its a force for a lot of good particularly in a place like Canada. Its pretty hard to develop things like a Chart of Rights without good government. 

Peter Schiff is a New World Order shill, we will have no democracy if we follow his deceptive path.

Peter Schiff is well connected with the globalists, the world's richest bankers and gold brokers Rothchilds. Google it!

9 hours ago, 6string said:

Peter Schiff is a New World Order shill, we will have no democracy if we follow his deceptive path.

Peter Schiff is well connected with the globalists, the world's richest bankers and gold brokers Rothchilds. Google it!

maxresdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

And when that tool puts too many taxes and regulations and tries to gouge business owners to an extent that makes it not just much more profitable for them to move overseas, but impossible to not move.... then that tool becomes a giant obstacle...

5 hours ago, Dral said:

And when that tool puts too many taxes and regulations and tries to gouge business owners to an extent that makes it not just much more profitable for them to move overseas, but impossible to not move.... then that tool becomes a giant obstacle...

then you tweak the taxes and regulations so they make sense, you don't claim government is a barrier. You don't blame the hammer for a bad carpenter. Those regulations also do things like make sure planes fly safely most of the time, or doctors follow rules,  and other kinda useful stuff like that. 

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

then you tweak the taxes and regulations so they make sense, you don't claim government is a barrier. You don't blame the hammer for a bad carpenter. Those regulations also do things like make sure planes fly safely most of the time, or doctors follow rules,  and other kinda useful stuff like that. 

I'm not entirely sure you know how things work.... if I'm a small business owner, I don't get to pick and choose which taxes I'm going to pay or which regulations I'm going to follow...

Just now, Dral said:

I'm not entirely sure you know how things work.... if I'm a small business owner, I don't get to pick and choose which taxes I'm going to pay or which regulations I'm going to follow...

what makes you think a small business should get to pick what safety standards they follow or what taxes they get to pay?

I think you might be the one that doesn't know how things like product regulations are developed in countries like Canada and the US. Business is involved, most industrial standards are actually voluntary, decided between industry associations and government and audited accordingly. They work together. This idea that government is in the way is just a fallacy. Could it work better many times? of course. 

Archived