The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trades at End-Nov?..(Discussion)

Four days with no Canucks..& we're all prob feeling withdrawal-symptoms. Is this worthwhile discussion? Up to you folks, I s'pose...

Assume a few(agreed upon) points here.

- We keep playing at a fairly high level(at end-Nov, 5th or 6th in Conf; 3rd in Div)

- Everyone's contributing minutes & points, in TG's balanced approach

- Comets are also holding up their end. Near top of their Div. Many fwds contributing(Goldy, Rodin, Boucher, Arch & LaBate all playing excellent)

Say the big team finally gets everyone healthy. There's an excess of bodies. Lots of injuries out East. Teams like Mtl, Rags, Wash, Canes, Ott are looking for fwds, especially.

IF we traded some key regulars, could land extra 2018 1st R picks, or highly-regarded D prospects(already partly developed a yr or two).

1- Do we risk upsetting the chemistry with an early deal or two?

I'd argue you get a better return when you're not desperate, & the counterpart needs to deal

2- Would anyone consider a blockbuster(mid-season), if landing a coveted, crucial piece?

3- Leading up to early stages of TDL(again, say we're about 5th or 6th in Conference) would you fancy ourselves sellers(due to excess, & wanting youth), buyers(cos' overachieving; maybe twins' last kick), or neither?

4- If you're in a dealing mood..which month do you prefer Jim does the most work(Dec, Jan, or Feb)?

Thanks, & GCG!

12 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

CDC has this insane obsession with wanting to start shipping things off as soon as start getting enjoyable again.

i agree

there is no reason to create this artificial deadline .. end of november

and pretend it is somehow important

canucks are doing well

they have ongoing injury issues

they will have more over the next month most likely

let's just deal with the real issues as they may arise

I only see a deal coming if a great opportunity arises.   

Much like the Pouliot deal.  He had been on Bennings radar for some time and came available because Pitt had to move him or waive him.

I'm sure that Vegas had been shopping Reinhart but had no takers before waiving him.

2 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

CDC has this insane obsession with wanting to start shipping things off as soon as start getting enjoyable again.

Disagree.

Have been on record as seeing this "rebuild" as about 80% complete. That is, mostly obtaining the younger assets we'll require. I think we've had 4 fairly rough yrs, & this may be the last one.

Also think officiating changes as the season goes deeper. Early season success doesn't necessarily translate.

Lastly, think it's wise to deal from a position of comparative-strength, as opposed to the alternative.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I only see a deal coming if a great opportunity arises.   

Much like the Pouliot deal.  He had been on Bennings radar for some time and came available because Pitt had to move him or waive him.

I'm sure that Vegas had been shopping Reinhart but had no takers before waiving him.

A question CC and Coastal View

If everyone on our team gets healthy all at once, are we not in the same position as Pittsburgh was?

Not trying to be a jerk.....it is a serious question......

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

A question CC and Coastal View

If everyone on our team gets healthy all at once, are we not in the same position as Pittsburgh was?

Not trying to be a jerk.....it is a serious question......

Having to make tough decisions like these are a good thing.  It couldn't have been easy for Rutherford to move Pouliot. 

It's ironic since Rutherford was GM of Carolina at the time.  The trade was Jordan Staal to Carolina and Brendan Sutter, Dumoulin and the 8 OA pick in 2012 going the other way.  Needless to say, it was a big trade in the day and the draft pick was surely the most important piece going to the Penguins.  He certainly wouldn't have taken it lightly.

Now the shoe is on Jim Bennings foot and at a certain point, he is going to have to decide which defense man is in his best interest to keep and which one to trade or waive.

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Del Zotto Stecher

Pouliot Biega

Weircoich

I think it's fair to say that Weircoich goes back down......

This is somewhat our young pro's and prospects and the years they were added  to the team.

I would like to see us add 2 more earlier picks to the 2018 list by moving Veterans for picks. I honestly do not think we should go for prospects, as we will have too many young players developing and demanding pay raises in the same year.

In reality, we are looking good in the up and coming years, as players start to graduate, but IMO, we must continue to rotate old with young. This should be a continuous rotation that happens year in year out.

So, I would like to see, where we move some players early in trades, before need is filled between teams, and we are on the outside looking in. JIm Benning has seemed to learn this lessen last year and moved Burrows and Hansen. These moves filled holes and created competition amongst the younger players. (aka Gaudette's friendly challenge to Pettersson)

I would like the Canucks to attempt to move players like Edler, Gagner, Vanek, Subban, Holm, Eriksson(even at 50% retained), even Sutter should be considered "IF" the price is right! And only  "IF" the price is right! Benning is showing us that he can build and I think I would like to see him continue with this, short term anyways

2018                         2017                          2016                      2015                  2014                  2013                   2012

Pouliot                   Pettersson               Joulevi                   Boeser               Virtanen           Horvat                Gaunce

2018 1st                Lind                           Dahlen                  Brisebois            Demko                                          Hutton

2018 2nd              Gadjovich                 Lockwood            Gaudette           Tryamkin

2018  3rd               DiPietro                    Granlund             Baertschi

Goldoblin                 Gudbranson

McEwen                   McEneny

Chatfield

* Important note - I am happy with the team and its direction, and I do not want to see all our veterans traded. But as the next couple of years pass by, players like Horvat, Gaunce, Hutton, Gudbranson, Baertschi, and Granlund will be considered our veterans, and will give the leadership that is needed for our next generation of players. This is how the circle of professional hockey goes.......the key, which I admit is difficult, is to know which ones to move and which ones to keep.....that is why it is such a tricky job, and other than for my/our Fanatical Opinions, which are based out of love and boredom, should be let to professional General Managers.......

As Joe has said many times................"in Benning we trust"

Archived