The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN-MON

Van: Alex Edler

For

Mon: 2018 1st

Montreal gets a top 4 defenseman that they definitely need in order to solidify their blueline. Canucks don't need Edler as Pouliot, MDZ and Hutton are younger and faster options on the left side. Defensemen have a lot of value in today's nhl especially top 4. How far off is this proposal?

The idea is solid. Montreal has a lot of cap space (almost 7 million) and could take on Edler's contract. They need a defenseman, and Edler could fit the bill. I proposed something similar to this a while back. 

The thing is, I can't see Montreal being wiling to give up a 2018 first after trading away Sergachev. But of course, there is the Bergevin factor. It all depends on how desperate Montreal is to salvage this year. Also, this doesn't address their forward situation, but you can't solve every problem at once. I don't know which hole Bergevin is more desperate to fill. Again, the idea is solid though. 

I personally think Tampa Bay would be an ideal trading partner for Edler. 

33 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

For

Montreal gets a top 4 defenseman that they definitely need in order to solidify their blueline. Canucks don't need Edler as Pouliot, MDZ and Hutton are younger and faster options on the left side. Defensemen have a lot of value in today's nhl especially top 4. How far off is this proposal?

An injured, injury prone Edler isn't worth a 1st. Especially one that could potentially be a lottery pick. 

I think it makes sense to take advantage of Montreal's desire to compete for the cup while Price is in his prime. Hopefully Bergevin is under a lot of pressure to make that happen, and might pay higher-than-expected value to do so.

With that said, I agree that Edler is not worth a 1st.  (Which is difficult to say considering he is often considered our best defenseman).  If we got a 1st I would expect to be sending a little something extra the other way - most likely in the form of a player who can help them right now at least in a depth scoring role like Reid Boucher (who also has the frenchy last name) along with a late round draft pick.  Or maybe the rights to Tryamkin?

While something like this would be good for our future, it absolutely limits our defensive depth. I feel Biega is good enough to have a full-time roster spot, but past that it doesn't leave a lot of room for injuries on the blueline.

2 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

When Edler and Stecher is back maybe we could bundle Subban with another Dman and make a deal with the Habs. Bergevin must be feeling the heat and maybe could be taken advantage of.

I doubt we could pry their 2018 first, but maybe we could get their second/third?  Vanek was well respected during his time there, especially by his teammates I heard.

Vanek + Subban for the Hab's 2018 second:)

Just now, Alflives said:

I doubt we could pry their 2018 first, but maybe we could get their second/third?  Vanek was well respected during his time there, especially by his teammates I heard.

Vanek + Subban for the Hab's 2018 second:)

Yeah, any pick will do and any deal that Benning does I am for it. I just want Benning to make more deals because more often than not he comes out ahead. Also, a desperate trading partner can be potentially taken advantage of.

1 minute ago, Alexandre said:

Yeah, any pick will do and any deal that Benning does I am for it. I just want Benning to make more deals because more often than not he comes out ahead. Also, a desperate trading partner can be potentially taken advantage of.

Maybe Bergevin is not allowed to make any more trades, considering how badly the ones he's made (Shaw, Weber, Drouin) have turned out so far?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Bergevin is not allowed to make any more trades, considering how badly the ones he's made (Shaw, Weber, Drouin) have turned out so far?

If that is the case then Bergevin a lame duck GM. Similar to Gillis when it was rumored he had a deal for Kesler (of mostly young prospects and a 1st) which was nixed by Francesco. Gillis was fired shortly after.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, NuckForReal!!! said:

For

Montreal GM reads CDC and learns how much Edler is loved and admired for his play and makes the trade in a heart beat........

meanwhile-in-an-alternate-universe_o_175

On 10/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, NuckForReal!!! said:

For

Another first rounder for 2018 has been on my wishlist since the end of the 2017 draft, however, Edler on his own, imo, wouldn't get it done. 

Alex Edler for Montreal's 2nd rnd pick 2018 sounds more realistic. 

In all honesty, I don't know that Edler would even be a player they'd want. He's 31 and hasn't scored more than 30 points since 2014-15. 

Another factor is his injury. With only 3 games under his belt this season, he's not been able to showcase himself this season and, given his Jekyl and Hyde play in the past, he'd hardly be the sure fix blueliner they'd be looking for. 

If anything, I think they'd be more interested in one of our forwards; maybe Baer or Goldy.

I wonder if they'd prefer Hutton. Edler is likely only good for a B prospect and a second/third rounder. Trade deadline deal of Hutton and Vanek for their first? Gives them scoring and a young potentially top 4 d-man. That 1st is likely around the 20ish spot though if they make the deal. I doubt they make a move involving their first if they are well out of the playoffs, draft lottery anything can happen. I doubt the Canucks move Hutton and Vanek this early in the season either. So Van needs to be out of the playoffs and Montreal needs to be in the hunt at the deadline. Both of which seems unlikely as it stands now. Overall, Edler is likely not fetching you a first given his age, health and his slightly luster production.

On 1.11.2017 at 5:44 PM, Alflives said:

Would they want our Subban?

Maybe,  when the habs are interested in subban the canucks should consider trading him. We have similar guys like subban. Pouliot, brisebois and chatfield...

Package deal subban + vanek/burmistrov

Archived