The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

when you follow what is happening with our youth in Utica, Sweden and Finland it is hard not to be excited  with where we are going.  Last nights game  drives home the point that we are transitioning and still trying to remain competitive  and playing entertaining hockey. 

Call it  a retool - rebuild on the fly or just a rebuild  I think we are headed in the right direction

Watching the team last night - they never gave up, never let up - Green has them playing and playing hard to win. 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Agreed, I have been telling people on here they were underestimating Biega for years.

The guy's physical game is exemplary. When he first came into the team I remarked that he must have had a good D coach at Yale as he has one of the best "play the man" techniques I have seen as unlike Bieksa (who I loved) he is able to do it while still maintaining goal side position. At his size he had to have a skill like that.

I remember reading that Subban went all the way down to Nashville to watch Ryan Ellis who is a small D, to learn technique, imo he would be better studying Biega.

All of that is fine, and Biega deserves a bit of love just so long as we don't pump up his minutes too much. He's exactly what we need him to be, a great 6/7 defenseman.

5 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

MDZ is a puck mover, a year or two ago I said I wouldn't mind if he came to the Canucks and it happened.  He used to make mistakes all the time but i haven't seen him make one this year so far.

He makes mistakes. He made 2 big ones against, I want to say Boston, and they each led to a Boston goal, but I don't know many players who play his kind of minutes at his salary and don't. 

I am surprised at how well he fits in here so far. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

I know everyone is excited here, but c'mon. Bruins had a multiple-Vezina winner (Demko), a perennial Norris nominee (Juolevi), and the guy who would win 4 of the next 6 Selke trophies (Horvat) on that team.

the very near future, belieeeeve

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he would have been WAY more effective on the 4th line hitting. He would have had crazy hit totals for that game.

Honestly, we need his (or Archie) for a balanced hitting out there.

Especially with a big chippy team like Dallas. 

He would have caused a couple more turn overs and more than likely draw a couple penalties, because of retaliation for his good hitting.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

I know everyone is excited here, but c'mon. Bruins had a multiple-Vezina winner, a perennial Norris nominee, and the guy who would win 4 of the next 6 Selke trophies on that team.

yeah - that was their 4th consecutive very solid season - their top line was anything but in the process of being 'transitioned' - and they had ridiculous veteran depth, in their prime.

the analogy is poor, and terribly premature.

but the optimism in general isn't.

3 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

Definitely Green is benefitting from having a deeper team of NHL players than Wille D had the last 2 seasons he was here, but the team never played a smart as they have now, and that is on Desjardins.

I won't doubt that guys worked just as hard last year, especially early on when every win of our 4-0-1 start was 60+ minutes of terror, followed by 9 straight crushing losses, but it was a lot of wasted energy dumping and chasing pucks with 2 men in, only to be chasing the game all night, every night.

Green's approach, and his mix of a 1-2-2 lock, or 4 back is frustrating teams, instead of our guys being the ones frustrated because they can't get anything going. The Canucks are still a bottom third team, and maybe they will prove they are ahead a year in the rebuild than most thought, but the mentality that we are out there to steal games from better teams, as opposed to trying to believe we can just match up on paper is a winning formula that will only make us better when we do match up.

Out of those 4 wins of the beginning of last year..two of them went to OT,two of them went to the SO...and Miller stood on his head for the other one...I can't believe I sat through 3 seasons of Willie Desjardins hockey...Clearly,his effect was stultifying.

2 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Its laughable  for lames fans to say that Granlund and Baer wouldnt crack their roster - as if their roster is so talented and deep.  Their bottom 6 sux.....as if guys like Brouwer, Lazar, Bennett, Versteeg, Jankowski, Glass etc are superior players.  Even guys like Frolik and Ferkland (who play in their top 6) are made better only because of who they play with.  Calgary's supposed strength is on D (for which they have paid a heavy price in terms of draft picks to build).  Their forward depth is scant with not much help in their system (and in light of the draft picks they gave up to build that D it will probably remain scant barring any trades).  Flames fans are delusional as usual.

they have good forward depth imo - but the idea that 18 and 19 goals couldn't make their lineup lol - those two would have been the 3rd and 4th leading goal scorers for Calgary last year.

those Lames fans need to lay off the Coolaid.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Baer has been the best fwd in the last 4 games, imo.  Not really even close

Yes, Baer continues to improve, and lately he has been looking like a top line player. I don't understand why so many people want him traded away. Players as good as Baer aren't that easy to come by.

48 minutes ago, apollo said:

Maybe had he played Jayson, we would have actually scored a goal more in regulation? 

While anything is possible, I highly doubt that Megna would have played a factor in the outcome of the game even if he was given a regular shift.

Archived