The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, Baer continues to improve, and lately he has been looking like a top line player. I don't understand why so many people want him traded away. Players as good as Baer aren't that easy to come by.

Yep, I don't understand it either.

Same with the Tanev trade talks. 

11 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Yep, I don't understand it either.

Same with the Tanev trade talks. 

All Canuck players are bums relative to the rest of the league, and have little to no trade value.  Once one starts playing a bit above bum-grade we must trade him immediately to get whatever we can in salvage value.  Multiple players and picks must be thrown into deals just to get pending UFAs like Evander Kane or prospects like Sam Reinhart.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

All Canuck players are bums relative to the rest of the league, and have little to no trade value.  Once one starts playing a bit above bum-grade we must trade him immediately to get whatever we can in salvage value.  Multiple players and picks must be thrown into deals just to get pending UFAs like Evander Kane or prospects like Sam Reinhart.

:^)

20 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Adding Brendan Gaunce may seem minor to some, but he is going to be a HUGE addition to that penalty kill.  Adding another PK capable body and can toggle between wing and centre.  I expect Green will utilize Gaunce's versatility pretty quickly once he gets back up

Gaunce and/or Chaput would definitely help with that. Along with Eriksson although he is injured so that just forces others to play more PK time. Would've been better served to play Chaput instead of calling up Megna and playing him only 4:18

8 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Out of those 4 wins of the beginning of last year..two of them went to OT,two of them went to the SO...and Miller stood on his head for the other one...I can't believe I sat through 3 seasons of Willie Desjardins hockey...Clearly,his effect was stultifying.

Willies first year wasn't too bad..the following 2 were unwatchable though. In his defence, the team was awful.

This season has been the most entertaining since 2012. Green looks like he has a good pulse for each player. He's got Sven playing like a 1st liner(after a slow start). He's made perhaps the best checking line in the league. Boeser and Jake both trending well. Pouliot looks like a good prospect again after having Green in his ear. I like how this is going. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We can sign Kane in the offseason for no assets and Reinhart looked awful when we played the sabres a few games ago. Tanev is untradable we need him. He's definitely worth a 1st and an A+ prospect in terms of value. We need to keep Tanev and extend Gudbranson. Those guys are big time leaders on the ice. 

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Quite remarkable, considering we're only 11 games in and with not only a new coach but a first-time NHL coach.

I'd be so choked if Green didn't get a chance here in Van and was having the same type of success with a team like...the Ducks...*gag

Really happy JB and TL bit the bullet and took a chance on another rookie. Hope it keeps paying off - betting it will long term. 

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

For sure, I forget who said Baer has been our best forward the last 4 game ( @stawns ?) but I think Granlund and Sutter have a lot to say about that.

Granlund and Sutter are more versatile but Baer seems to have the highest pure skill level. They are all playing really well in the roles they have been assigned and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. I also don't understand all the talk about trading Sutter.

Finally got a chance to watch it. What a great game, those are the kinds of losses I don't mind. We ran into a really hot goalie, but we outplayed Dallas by a mile. These things happen sometimes. Onto the next one!

People who are talking about trading Sutter have not been paying attention to the last 11 games.

His line has been just as important to the Canuck's success as the Horvat line... the two lines are very similar... with one leaning a little more to offense, (Horvat) and the other leaning a little more defense.  (Sutter)  But both play 200 ft games and both can dominate their matchups.

These are the top two lines on the team.

There is only one line whose players should at all be considered for the topic of trade discussion and that is the Vanek/Gagner/Burmistrov line... and Vanek should be excluded.... And of course the Sedins are untouchable for contract reasons.

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

People who are talking about trading Sutter have not been paying attention to the last 11 games.

His line has been just as important to the Canuck's success as the Horvat line... the two lines are very similar... with one leaning a little more to offense, (Horvat) and the other leaning a little more defense.  (Sutter)  But both play 200 ft games and both can dominate their matchups.

These are the top two lines on the team.

There is only one line whose players should at all be considered for the topic of trade discussion and that is the Vanek/Gagner/Burmistrov line... and Vanek should be excluded.... And of course the Sedins are untouchable for contract reasons.

I'm hoping that Gagner getting the monkey off his back will help him regain his confidence. Last game was his best by far and not just because of the goal. He was aggressive on the forecheck, had great speed to outskate the opposition and was defensively responsible. The season is still early, I don't think we've seen the best of Gagner yet.

20 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Out of those 4 wins of the beginning of last year..two of them went to OT,two of them went to the SO...and Miller stood on his head for the other one...I can't believe I sat through 3 seasons of Willie Desjardins hockey...Clearly,his effect was stultifying.

Yeah, and the young guns got them in good shape to the third period, then WD shortened the bench and played the vets because of respect not performance.

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Granlund and Sutter are more versatile but Baer seems to have the highest pure skill level. They are all playing really well in the roles they have been assigned and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. I also don't understand all the talk about trading Sutter.

I guess it comes down to what metrics we are using to measure who's been best over the recent span of games. I don't think either of those 3 players will be moved for at least a season or 2, and maybe not at all. 

I think people sit on Sutter's contract as a trading point instead of realizing how valuable he is on the ice right now. We can afford the cap right now so who cares, right?

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I guess it comes down to what metrics we are using to measure who's been best over the recent span of games. I don't think either of those 3 players will be moved for at least a season or 2, and maybe not at all. 

I think people sit on Sutter's contract as a trading point instead of realizing how valuable he is on the ice right now. We can afford the cap right now so who cares, right?

Maybe the "Tankers" see Sutter as too valuable, and want him traded to insure we finish as close to the bottom as possible?

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

We can sign Kane in the offseason for no assets and Reinhart looked awful when we played the sabres a few games ago. Tanev is untradable we need him. He's definitely worth a 1st and an A+ prospect in terms of value. We need to keep Tanev and extend Gudbranson. Those guys are big time leaders on the ice. 

Yeah, I really can't see Tanev being traded because Benning loves him.  He along with Sutter are going to be the veteran "foundationals" moving forward with the new core.

Meanwhile, things do seem to be aligning viz Kane -- his attitude and game seem to have both come around concurrently.  The Sabres may well try to move him to recoup something before he becomes a FA, but indications are that he's interested in coming here AND that the Canucks have and may still be very interested in getting him.  With the young wingers coming, that does put Eriksson in a bit of an odd/conflicted situation, with four more years after this one.  Kane would be the logical replacement for him in the top-6, but with many players on ELCs the next few years the salaries could still balance out with both on the roster and the Sedins' $7mil per done shortly.  Sabres are not likely to let Reinhard go at a discount, and will probably just see how he does this season unless they figure he's a diminishing asset, not unlike 18YO in Calgary.

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

{*** Insert Tanev injury prediction here ***}

Hint: my guess is the 1st period of the 1st game Edler is back... that's the Canuck way :wacko:

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

A recent article (sorry, can't find it) talked about how Willie miscast him - using him in too many roles -  which lead to him not excelling at any of them.

Green is giving him one role and it's paying off.

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

With the show Sutter is putting on this year it wouldn't surprise me if Jim got calls on him. But he's also a big part of whats going to let our young guys develop properly so unless its a ridiculous offer there's no way Jim's moving him. By the time his contract is up we'll be seeing a lot of the prospects like Gaudette and hopefully Pettersson making noise up here. 

Archived