The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

...Adding Brendan Gaunce may seem minor to some, but he is going to be a HUGE addition to that penalty kill.  Adding another PK capable body and can toggle between wing and centre.  I expect Green will utilize Gaunce's versatility pretty quickly once he gets back up

Reading the earlier part of your post, Gaunce was the first thing that came to mind, and sure enough...

:)

No complaints with a performance like that. Everyone was hustling, skating and playing hard all the way throughout the game and each and every shift. Marky was sensational. He comes out of the crease and beats a Stars player to the puck. Sick play! That was play of the game personally. Along with that, he kept the boys in it. If it wasn't for Bishop, that was ours. Likewise with the rest, Bulldog was really noticeable. Being aggressive and making nice plays with the puck as well as creating chances of his own. He's making the most of opportunities and not disappointing. Great to also see Gagner break his goose egg on the goal column and hopefully this helps kicks start his year en route to a good one. Everyone was on point. Stars were lucky to come away with it. Fun to watch the boys playing this kind of hockey. This is what anyone wouldn't mind paying for. Hopefully we get the next one! GCG!

59 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here's the entire quote 

“Vancouver is hard to play against,” started Hitchcock. “They play a great team game, they close gaps quickly and you have to learn to play a territorial game against them. I can see why they frustrated the heck out of teams because if you try to make plays, you’re going to get frustrated.

“They played by far the best team game we’ve seen in a while — it was very effective.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-post-game-the-bar-the-push-the-bolt-gagners-arrival-hitchs-salute?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

An important thing to note is that the Canucks are only rolling out two PK unit lines  Sutter-Dorsett and Horvat-Granlund.

Each collected more than 4 minutes on the penalty kill, however, no other forward saw PK time.  If you aren't careful they will run these four to the ground and will be outta gas by the new year.  They need a consistent third unit to relieve some of those minutes.  Virtanen got only 9 minutes, and Burmistrov got just above 9 mins (which confuses me considering Green said he would act as a rover for us, but hasn't seen PK minutes for the last few games) Disperse those minutes, not to mention that those were all 5 on 5 minutes.  Use them to ease the minutes of the four above, plus especially if you are going to use Sutter's line hard for matchups 5v5.

Sutter's line got almost 16 mins even strength.  

I've been hard on Green and Baumer on their ability to disperse minutes evenly to those who don't have a particular special teams role.  I believe all players in the lineup for a game should have some kind of special teams assignment beyond being good 5 on 5.

Successful teams have everyone contributing.  Not sure why they haven't found a role for Virtanen especially with his speed and size.

Adding Brendan Gaunce may seem minor to some, but he is going to be a HUGE addition to that penalty kill.  Adding another PK capable body and can toggle between wing and centre.  I expect Green will utilize Gaunce's versatility pretty quickly once he gets back up

Eriksson was an excellent PKer for us before his injury. Gaunce will be good for us as well. I'd like to see Burmistrov or Virtanen on the penalty kill sometime. Especially Virtanen... I can imagine him getting his stick on a pass and then turning the jets on for a shorthanded breakaway.

Did anyone else notice that pick by bishop in overtime?  i believe it was on hutton or maybe sutter, anyways the puck had gone into the corner and are player was gonna get to it in time to disrupt a breakout up ice and bishop took a couple strides out of his crease to purposely get in the way of our players puck pursuit.  I definitely  thought he should have been called for interference, and perhaps that was what had Marky throwinn fits at the end.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

An important thing to note is that the Canucks are only rolling out two PK unit lines  Sutter-Dorsett and Horvat-Granlund.

Each collected more than 4 minutes on the penalty kill, however, no other forward saw PK time.  If you aren't careful they will run these four to the ground and will be outta gas by the new year.  They need a consistent third unit to relieve some of those minutes.  Virtanen got only 9 minutes, and Burmistrov got just above 9 mins (which confuses me considering Green said he would act as a rover for us, but hasn't seen PK minutes for the last few games) Disperse those minutes, not to mention that those were all 5 on 5 minutes.  Use them to ease the minutes of the four above, plus especially if you are going to use Sutter's line hard for matchups 5v5.

Sutter's line got almost 16 mins even strength.  

I've been hard on Green and Baumer on their ability to disperse minutes evenly to those who don't have a particular special teams role.  I believe all players in the lineup for a game should have some kind of special teams assignment beyond being good 5 on 5.

Successful teams have everyone contributing.  Not sure why they haven't found a role for Virtanen especially with his speed and size.

Adding Brendan Gaunce may seem minor to some, but he is going to be a HUGE addition to that penalty kill.  Adding another PK capable body and can toggle between wing and centre.  I expect Green will utilize Gaunce's versatility pretty quickly once he gets back up

Gaunce got a goal his first game in Utica.  A goal and an assist in the second.

Not mad but frustrated. We deserved to win this game and a come-from-behind win trailing after two against a talented Dallas team could've done so much for our morale and confidence. Bo should've buried one of the two chances.

I love the structure and pure mad-dog spirit of Green's team going after every loose puck and fighting for every inch of ice. We don't have a pure super-skilled game breaker like Seguin yet but it's coming, I'll be patient.

Hank should've changed in OT instead of trying to skate up and make it a 3-on-2. Love the twins but they should not play 3-on-3. I hope Virtanen grows into a more complete player and his speed can really make a difference in OT.

Go Canucks Go.

Loved Bulldog and he just melts my heart with his professionalism and heart-on-the-sleeve. Woof.

No points but man Sutter's line had one of the best games Ive seen yet.  Matched up against Seguin/Benn and they dominated them. 

MDZ executes really well.  Rarely does he miss a pass or bobble the puck and turn it over. 

Hutton getting better.  Like that.

Two great scoring chances, Sutter off the post in the 1st and Gagner in the 3rd created by turnovers.......so freaking pumped on this team. 

Unfortunately, Green has to learn like our last 3 coaches that Sedins aren't fast enough for OT, and terrible options for the shootout. 

In my opinion, I think we should have these groups for OT:

Baertschi - Horvat

Del Zotto

Granlund - Burmistrov

Hutton

Sutter - Virtanen

Tanev

When Stecher and Boeser get healthy they can slot in as well. 

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Good game. Dallas was good too, let's not act like it was complete highway robbery. Bishop was just on fire.

The Canucks had a lot of chances, but not a lot of great scoring chances. They just need to capitalize when they do get them.

Also I was at the game. It was the loudest game I've ever been to. Louder than the season opener against the Oilers. I don't know what happened, maybe the lower ticket prices helped.

Yeah, not a surprise the team with more proven finishers got that extra goal.

Archived