The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

MDZ executes really well.  Rarely does he miss a pass or bobble the puck and turn it over. 

MDZ is a puck mover, a year or two ago I said I wouldn't mind if he came to the Canucks and it happened.  He used to make mistakes all the time but i haven't seen him make one this year so far.

Green deserves coach of the season for what he's doing right now. The boys are playing like a family, even ice times, even responsibilities, I've never seen anything like it. The 2011 Bruins were a bit similar in terms of their depth. 

This Canucks team will go far and if they can maintain this play and make the playoffs will surprise some. The key will be sustainability but this is a very sustainable way to play. I was skeptical having another rookie coach but Green's style of coaching fits this relatively star-less team perfectly. 

Everyone's contributing, there are no passengers, it's fun hockey even when we lose. Brilliance and it all goes to Green. Most coaches wouldn't know how to deal with a team of poor UFA signings and sophmores with no star power.

Hitchcock knows it too.

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I forgot to mention Biega had a hell of a game.

He was in the offensive plays, he was hitting like a guy who is twice the size.

It's really unfortunate he has hands of stone.  :unsure:

:lol: He kept getting primo passes in the slot or above the dot and I'd be all excited until I realized it was Biega and not someone without granite hands :lol:

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"The Bulldog was going. We joke that when he's feelin' it, he's feelin' it, and he was really strong tonight." - Green on Biega

I think he would have been WAY more effective on the 4th line hitting. He would have had crazy hit totals for that game.

Honestly, we need his (or Archie) for a balanced hitting out there.

Especially with a big chippy team like Dallas. 

He would have caused a couple more turn overs and more than likely draw a couple penalties, because of retaliation for his good hitting.

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he would have been WAY more effective on the 4th line hitting. He would have had crazy hit totals for that game.

Honestly, we need his (or Archie) for a balanced hitting out there.

Especially with a big chippy team like Dallas. 

He would have caused a couple more turn overs and more than likely draw a couple penalties, because of retaliation for his good hitting.

He even led the team with hits (4) 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

He even led the team with hits (4) 

Yes! Dorsett 2 Sutter 3 and Jake with 2

A forward dedicated to playing the body would let us dictate the pace of the game more. I don't think we realize what an exceptional weapon we have in Biega on the 4th.

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Damn... What a game. Nice to get the 1 point I guess. 

Lots of positives... This team is playing very strong. Quite a few injuries yet we still maintained dominance for longer than Dallas did. 

I really like the way Vanek plays... Had a brutal giveaway shorthanded that lead to a penalty but otherwise pretty solid. Glad Gagner got a bounce his way. 

Biega was one of our best dman... I'd even go as far as saying he was our best dman out there tonight. 

This team is a contender. 

Agreed, I have been telling people on here they were underestimating Biega for years.

The guy's physical game is exemplary. When he first came into the team I remarked that he must have had a good D coach at Yale as he has one of the best "play the man" techniques I have seen as unlike Bieksa (who I loved) he is able to do it while still maintaining goal side position. At his size he had to have a skill like that.

I remember reading that Subban went all the way down to Nashville to watch Ryan Ellis who is a small D, to learn technique, imo he would be better studying Biega.

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hutton high minute man, again, followed by MDZ, Tanev 3rd.  Granlund with 22min -- maybe the best Canuck on the night.  Megna held to 4:18, for those wondering.

Oh but the select few will still find a way to wenge about him.. such as the likes of Canuck2288..  but I just revisited the gudbranson trade thread last night and realized that certain posters opinions not only don't matter.. but they aren't worth the breath used to speak them ;) 

9 hours ago, Darius71 said:

everyone keeps saying that the bottom is going to fall out of this team....if this team works like that they are going to be in the hunt all year.  They have bought into Travis' system and this year they have some added guns to pull off some wins.  Their record this year has almost nothing to do with the Sedins, whereas last year if the Sedins had a bad night it was almost a guaranteed loss.

for sure. I think these guys have shown that if they can stay relatively healthy and work hard they are in the hunt for a wildcard.The biggest pleasant surprise to me has been Nilsson, I didn't think he would be that good. 

53 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green deserves coach of the season for what he's doing right now. The boys are playing like a family, even ice times, even responsibilities, I've never seen anything like it. The 2011 Bruins were a bit similar in terms of their depth. 

This Canucks team will go far and if they can maintain this play and make the playoffs will surprise some. The key will be sustainability but this is a very sustainable way to play. I was skeptical having another rookie coach but Green's style of coaching fits this relatively star-less team perfectly. 

Everyone's contributing, there are no passengers, it's fun hockey even when we lose. Brilliance and it all goes to Green. Most coaches wouldn't know how to deal with a team of poor UFA signings and sophmores with no star power.

Hitchcock knows it too.

A certain level of talent is required to play the style we are playing, it would not happen if all our players were not NHL caliber. This is the reason that it should be sustainable as long as the injury situation doesn't get out of hand. The team we are watching right now is pretty much who we are, I do not see any signs that we are playing above ourselves, in fact there is room for individual players to improve.

That was the best hockey game played by the Canucks in over two years, even in a loss. Great goaltending, unbelievable defence, and very good quality chances on both ends. Plus, the intensity was off the map. It may be early, but I'm sure liking this Canuck teams effort and commitment. Two good shots prevented a win.

I said it before, the Canucks are going to be on the wrong end of some one goal games, but I'd figured it would happen in Regulation. The fact the team worked hard, and got a point is a good sign. Green seems to have the guys working as a unit. Once the lines start meshing, I can see more goals, and better production. Given time I think Green can even get results from Eriksson and Edler when they come back. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

:lol: He kept getting primo passes in the slot or above the dot and I'd be all excited until I realized it was Biega and not someone without granite hands :lol:

He's great value though. For a guy to play that well who sits as much as he does is pretty amazing. Speaks a lot to his professionalism to stay that ready. 

Archived