The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's great value though. For a guy to play that well who sits as much as he does is pretty amazing. Speaks a lot to his professionalism to stay that ready. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Biega. Guy brings it and by all accounts is a hell of a guy in the room too.

But he's a 7/8D for a reason:lol:

Definitely Green is benefitting from having a deeper team of NHL players than Wille D had the last 2 seasons he was here, but the team never played a smart as they have now, and that is on Desjardins.

I won't doubt that guys worked just as hard last year, especially early on when every win of our 4-0-1 start was 60+ minutes of terror, followed by 9 straight crushing losses, but it was a lot of wasted energy dumping and chasing pucks with 2 men in, only to be chasing the game all night, every night.

Green's approach, and his mix of a 1-2-2 lock, or 4 back is frustrating teams, instead of our guys being the ones frustrated because they can't get anything going. The Canucks are still a bottom third team, and maybe they will prove they are ahead a year in the rebuild than most thought, but the mentality that we are out there to steal games from better teams, as opposed to trying to believe we can just match up on paper is a winning formula that will only make us better when we do match up.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green deserves coach of the season for what he's doing right now. The boys are playing like a family, even ice times, even responsibilities, I've never seen anything like it. The 2011 Bruins were a bit similar in terms of their depth. 

This Canucks team will go far and if they can maintain this play and make the playoffs will surprise some. The key will be sustainability but this is a very sustainable way to play. I was skeptical having another rookie coach but Green's style of coaching fits this relatively star-less team perfectly. 

Everyone's contributing, there are no passengers, it's fun hockey even when we lose. Brilliance and it all goes to Green. Most coaches wouldn't know how to deal with a team of poor UFA signings and sophmores with no star power.

Hitchcock knows it too.

:lol:

I know everyone is excited here, but c'mon. Bruins had a multiple-Vezina winner, a perennial Norris nominee, and the guy who would win 4 of the next 6 Selke trophies on that team.

You know, I watch Baertschi and Granlund, and they've become such skilled, solid players, and I think of CGY fans and how they must wonder "what if", confused why their GM made such bad moves to give up on them, and how these great players were sent to VAN where they're flourishing, getting better and better. This makes me smile.

If the Canucks continue to play with this effort, they will be a playoff team, and may even make some noise. Bishop saved DAL from defeat, but the Canucks still earned a point, and every point counts.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You know, I watch Baertschi and Granlund, and they've become such skilled, solid players, and I think of CGY fans and how they must wonder "what if", confused why their GM made such bad moves to give up on them, and how these great players were sent to VAN where they're flourishing, getting better and better. This makes me smile.

If the Canucks continue to play with this effort, they will be a playoff team, and may even make some noise. Bishop saved DAL from defeat, but the Canucks still earned a point, and every point counts.

When ever I see flames fans comment on those trades they say “well baertschi and grandlund wouldn’t make the roster anyways”

except baertschi would slot in very well on their second line and Granlund could be a better shutdown third line centre than Sam Bennett... I think they’re trying to fool themselves into believing they’re better off without :lol:

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I forgot to mention Biega had a hell of a game.

He was in the offensive plays, he was hitting like a guy who is twice the size.

It's really unfortunate he has hands of stone:unsure:

That's ok.  He can do all the things he does so well, and simply hand the puck over to Pouliot when the time comes. 

Those two were dynamite together last night - making the defensive depth just as solid as the forward group (and goaltending).

They look a solid 9 D deep right now, not having to call on Wiercioch yet - and beyond that, they have another wave on the way with McEneny, Chatfield, Brisebois, Juolevi approaching readiness.

The team is right on the cusp where their depth can/will be young players that are developing in their system - while very healthy in terms of cap moving forward.

They're a sheer pleasure to watch, and really, just a few pieces away from stepping up to another level imo.

Just now, Canadian Clay said:

When ever I see flames fans comment on those trades they say “well baertschi and grandlund wouldn’t make the roster anyways”

except baertschi would slot in very well on their second line and Granlund could be a better shutdown third line centre than Sam Bennett... I think they’re trying to fool themselves into believing they’re better off without :lol:

Its laughable  for lames fans to say that Granlund and Baer wouldnt crack their roster - as if their roster is so talented and deep.  Their bottom 6 sux.....as if guys like Brouwer, Lazar, Bennett, Versteeg, Jankowski, Glass etc are superior players.  Even guys like Frolik and Ferkland (who play in their top 6) are made better only because of who they play with.  Calgary's supposed strength is on D (for which they have paid a heavy price in terms of draft picks to build).  Their forward depth is scant with not much help in their system (and in light of the draft picks they gave up to build that D it will probably remain scant barring any trades).  Flames fans are delusional as usual.

The team is playing very well right now. I am enjoying the vindication of Hutton and Gudbranson back on the d-core and Markstrom showing that he can be a starting tender. I questioned the Gagner and MDZ signings but must admit that MDZ is playing great hockey. 

Hutton had a great game last night. On one play he held the line 3X on one shift. Also noticing that the d-men are being backed up better by forwards when they go deep. 

1 hour ago, cbdoubleu said:

Definitely Green is benefitting from having a deeper team of NHL players than Wille D had the last 2 seasons he was here, but the team never played a smart as they have now, and that is on Desjardins.

I won't doubt that guys worked just as hard last year, especially early on when every win of our 4-0-1 start was 60+ minutes of terror, followed by 9 straight crushing losses, but it was a lot of wasted energy dumping and chasing pucks with 2 men in, only to be chasing the game all night, every night.

Green's approach, and his mix of a 1-2-2 lock, or 4 back is frustrating teams, instead of our guys being the ones frustrated because they can't get anything going. The Canucks are still a bottom third team, and maybe they will prove they are ahead a year in the rebuild than most thought, but the mentality that we are out there to steal games from better teams, as opposed to trying to believe we can just match up on paper is a winning formula that will only make us better when we do match up.

we must be watching a different team, because they are not playing a defensive game.  They are sending two guys in on the 4check at every opportunity.

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Baer has been the best fwd in the last 4 games, imo.  Not really even close

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green deserves coach of the season for what he's doing right now. The boys are playing like a family, even ice times, even responsibilities, I've never seen anything like it. The 2011 Bruins were a bit similar in terms of their depth. 

This Canucks team will go far and if they can maintain this play and make the playoffs will surprise some. The key will be sustainability but this is a very sustainable way to play. I was skeptical having another rookie coach but Green's style of coaching fits this relatively star-less team perfectly. 

Everyone's contributing, there are no passengers, it's fun hockey even when we lose. Brilliance and it all goes to Green. Most coaches wouldn't know how to deal with a team of poor UFA signings and sophmores with no star power.

Hitchcock knows it too.

I have been saying since the first preseason game that J.B has made a deep team like Boston. Forget the posts saying otherwise. Team game makes team players great and we will have some awards given to the players as the year goes and their confidence increases. Lets not forget this team was play-off bound until Jan last year when the wheels fell off. And this is a deeper team with a lot of mobility on the back end. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Biega. Guy brings it and by all accounts is a hell of a guy in the room too.

But he's a 7/8D for a reason:lol:

I think the reason is because he's been looked down upon all his career for his size. Times are changing... Biegamania is taking over. The MILLIONS of Biegamaniacs are runnin' wild brother! 

Biega for Norris. 

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

I think the reason is because he's been looked down upon all his career for his size. Times are changing... Biegamania is taking over. The MILLIONS of Biegamaniacs are runnin' wild brother! 

Biega for Norris. 

is it time to add the bulldog to your sig?

A team cannot win forever. I don't mind Canucks got an OT loss last night, but playing a game full of energy, fun and excellent.

Marky, with pushed by Nilsson, get a starting again and presented great.  Keep it.

All players were good, except Sedins in OT time and Megna.

Overall, we have good Coach, good players, and we will enter into playoff if keep this trend.

Archived