The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hitchcock sings high praises on Canucks

cuporbust

3 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I Really Enjoy watching Greens System I just really wish he’d give more minutes to Virtanen. Green for jack Adams award!

He's making Jake earn everything, which I feel is the best course of action to take with him. As for the JA award, if this team continues to play as well as they have, he certainly will be in the conversation.

I have no doubt Hitch was honestly praising the Canucks, but I'm also guessing that he was sending a subliminal message to his guys, particularly guys like Radulov.

He made a comment post-game that Radulov was hard-working and dynamic, but unpredictable - Hitch thrives on precision structure.

Hitch likes to mess with people's minds, much like Babcock has been known to do.

Nice to get the kudos on the team game, and for an opposing coach to try and use it as an example to manipulate the players on his team to buy in more.

I really like that Green doesn't pick favourites, or feels he needs to give the Sedins heavy minutes and rely on them. I think Del Zotto, Vanek, Pouliot and Nilsson so far have been excellent additions. This team, just "feels" different, they're competing, fast, tenacious, getting a lot of shots, and I haven't seen anyone coast. Full effort from everyone, every shift. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with a healthy roster (if they can ever get that).

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they'll surprise some (a lot) of people this year, and then next year Goldobin, Juolevi and Dahlen may make the team. Maybe even Pettersson and Demko. They'll be even better next year I think. Compared to EDM, this Canucks rebuild was quick.

Just don't be surprised, or even alarmed if they take a step back as the youth is integrated into the lineup.

It's taken a few years for Horvat to really come into his own.  I expect the same for the other new guys.  I figure in about 5 years, this team will be a real contender.

25 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

He's making Jake earn everything, which I feel is the best course of action to take with him. As for the JA award, if this team continues to play as well as they have, he certainly will be in the conversation.

I feel he’s earned a bit more minutes then he’s getting. Not saying it the only thing hindering his production but we was score at a better pace in pre season and he was getting the minutes in pre season. I know it’s pre season but sometime is does translate over but he always seems to be involved when he’s on the ice and I want to see more of that throughout the games

PS who do you think has earned more minutes this season throughout the games gags or virt?

54 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I Really Enjoy watching Greens System I just really wish he’d give more minutes to Virtanen

I firmly believe he has finger on the pulse as far as Jake's energy level goes.  I like that he wants him to play a great shift, every shift, and in doing that slowly increase his ice time.  I thought he played another good game last night with the Sedins.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

There really is no substitute for a good team game.

Building block #1.

Not to throw shade at Willy, but I recall at least a couple of times in the summer Linden stating that they wanted to improve their systems play.  And you gotta love the players JB and co are targeting.  Hate to say it but this teams reminds me of BOS in 2011.  Maybe I dont because I thought that team was excellent.

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Not to throw shade at Willy, but I recall at least a couple of times in the summer Linden stating that they wanted to improve their systems play.  And you gotta love the players JB and co are targeting.  Hate to say it but this teams reminds me of BOS in 2011.  Maybe I dont because I thought that team was excellent.

I don't consider that shade at Willy - there's always room for improvement - and likewise with the roster, which is also improved.

Green just seems to have an old school sense of how to mazimize both the players he has avaiable in a team sense, and those players as individuals as well.

Boston is a great team to be reminded of imo - don't have to like them, but can't deny the quality of that team.

36 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Just don't be surprised, or even alarmed if they take a step back as the youth is integrated into the lineup.

It's taken a few years for Horvat to really come into his own.  I expect the same for the other new guys.  I figure in about 5 years, this team will be a real contender.

That's a fair point, at the end of the season they will lose some of their vets (Sedins and Edler), and I'm not sure Gagner, Eriksson, Vanek and Dorsett will be around next year as well.  A team filled with youth would be exciting, but there would be a learning curve with the upcoming prospects. You may be correct with a 5 year time frame to become contenders again.

Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson and Boeser would all be entering their prime (or in their prime). 

Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Chatfield, Juolevi, Brisebois and Demko would have a couple of years under their belts. Who knows, Lockwood, MacEwen and Palmu might surprise as well.  

And there are still drafts to do, the Canucks may end up with Dahlin or Svechnikov next draft.  I think we're just getting a glimpse of the Green Machine, exciting times.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Lets be realistic, our defence will fall as will our goal tending, most nights we can't get more then 3 goals. It is a great start and I am excited, but come new year we will slump and end up not making the playoffs. It is in our best interest moving forward we get a top 5 pick

I disagree with the notion that we still need to be stockpiling picks. Our core is largely young players now who are ready to start winning. Even finishing outside of the playoffs in a 10-16 draft position is better than a Top 5 pick IMO. That kind of dramatic improvement would be huge for momentum and confidence with our young team.

On that note, however, I do still expect to fall a bit down. It's still just 11 games in and I'm still interested to see how our team works in the longer term. If we're still in a playoff spot 30 games in and playing like we do now, I might believe we have a real shot. As it is, I still expect to finish 25th or lower. If we play like this for the entire season, however, we're a surefire playoff team.

I'll give Hitch's comments credit for what they're worth as he's one of the better coaches of his generation.

That said, let's be realistic here people - Dallas has only played about 1/3 of the teams in the league so far......it's a LONG, LONG way to go yet.  A great start for sure, but a journey still lies in front of our boys. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'll give Hitch's comments credit for what they're worth as he's one of the better coaches of his generation.

That said, let's be realistic here people - Dallas has only played about 1/3 of the teams in the league so far......it's a LONG, LONG way to go yet.  A great start for sure, but a journey still lies in front of our boys. 

ok, let's be realistic - what he apparently said was "in a long time" - so, he's no spring chicken, and he's not limited to having seen 1/3 of the league in one month's time - that is not the time frame he appears to be referring to.

temper your expectations, sure - but if we're being real, we keep the comments in the actual context they were stated.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Plus 1 for the best username on CDC. It truly is cup or bust this year. Hitch's comments further solidify that this team is a Cup Contender. 

Holy crap... 2 months ago almost nobody felt that this team even had a remote chance of making the playoffs.  Now user after user is planning the parade?

We are a far better team this year.  We may even be a playoff team.  But make no mistake about it - this is NOT a cup contending team. 

What we have is a solid lineup from top to bottom, but we are still missing key pieces.  We don't have enough scoring from our blueline, nor any star power from back there.... a guy who can really drive the play and quarterback the pp.  We have a solid forward lineup but not one that is going to overwhelm anyone with our talent, and we need some true 1st line talent to be a serious force.  I love Bo and Baertschi has really caught fire, but these are high end 2nd line guys... not 1st line guys.  At least not yet.

We also have inconsistent goaltending.  You look at the teams that win the cups and the vast majority of them have a really strong and relatively consistent goalie. Our goalies have been very hot or very cold, with not a lot in between.

Right now, we have Dorsett who is on fire but nobody can realistically expect that to continue.  Take away his points and we are back to being close to a .500 team, which is certainly NOT cup contending material or even a playoff team for that matter. 

We are overachieving.  We are playing a strong team game with lots of effort and balanced scoring by being able to actually successfully roll 4 lines, but that's about it.  The cup won't come this year and probably won't come next year.  We need guys like Petterson and maybe Dahlen to develop to be a 1st line player(s).  We need Demko to be our star and consistent goalie. We need Juolevi to meet his expectations and probably bolster the scoring with another similarly strong additional defenseman.  We are absolutely headed in the right direction but we are not there yet.

Look, I've been Mr. Optimism compared to most of you for some time but this misplaced enthusiasm is just going to lead you guys to get let down.  Relish the fact the team is entertaining to watch again and hope that we might actually see some post season action, but even that is going to be hit or miss.

2 hours ago, Fantomex said:

I'm truly excited for the future of this team. James Elmer Benning is building a complete team. We have some great prospects coming along and with Travis Green at the helm, there's no reason we can't be a true playoff contender in the next 2-3 years. I just hope Tryamkin comes back at the end of his deal. I think the new system and coaching would really allow him to flourish.

agreed  when he comes back he will be in his prime  monster huge bone crushing dman  would be best shutdown pair him and guddy   no team in league could stop that pair theyd break people 

Archived