The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hitchcock sings high praises on Canucks

cuporbust

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Holy crap... 2 months ago almost nobody felt that this team even had a remote chance of making the playoffs.  Now user after user is planning the parade?

We are a far better team this year.  We may even be a playoff team.  But make no mistake about it - this is NOT a cup contending team. 

What we have is a solid lineup from top to bottom, but we are still missing key pieces.  We don't have enough scoring from our blueline, nor any star power from back there.... a guy who can really drive the play and quarterback the pp.  We have a solid forward lineup but not one that is going to overwhelm anyone with our talent, and we need some true 1st line talent to be a serious force.  I love Bo and Baertschi has really caught fire, but these are high end 2nd line guys... not 1st line guys.  At least not yet.

We also have inconsistent goaltending.  You look at the teams that win the cups and the vast majority of them have a really strong and relatively consistent goalie. Our goalies have been very hot or very cold, with not a lot in between.

Right now, we have Dorsett who is on fire but nobody can realistically expect that to continue.  Take away his points and we are back to being close to a .500 team, which is certainly NOT cup contending material or even a playoff team for that matter. 

We are overachieving.  We are playing a strong team game with lots of effort and balanced scoring by being able to actually successfully roll 4 lines, but that's about it.  The cup won't come this year and probably won't come next year.  We need guys like Petterson and maybe Dahlen to develop to be a 1st line player(s).  We need Demko to be our star and consistent goalie. We need Juolevi to meet his expectations and probably bolster the scoring with another similarly strong additional defenseman.  We are absolutely headed in the right direction but we are not there yet.

Look, I've been Mr. Optimism compared to most of you for some time but this misplaced enthusiasm is just going to lead you guys to get let down.  Relish the fact the team is entertaining to watch again and hope that we might actually see some post season action, but even that is going to be hit or miss.

It's just classic apollo. I've learned to just take it in stride and roll with it. Better than incessant negativity.

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Lets be realistic, our defence will fall as will our goal tending, most nights we can't get more then 3 goals. It is a great start and I am excited, but come new year we will slump and end up not making the playoffs. It is in our best interest moving forward we get a top 5 pick

Like finishing 29 and pick 5th again?

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

That is a lot easier to do when you have Granlund, Dorsett, Burmistrov, Vanek, Gagner, and Virtanen either healthy or added.

yup, thats hard to argue. I still don't think we'd have the energy or systems under Willie that Green has deployed if he was still here though. Sure WD rolled 4 lines in year 1 when he had a decent lineup, but he didn't seem to have the ability to line match like Green has shown so far. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a fair point, at the end of the season they will lose some of their vets (Sedins and Edler ((probably not)) ), and I'm not sure Gagner, Eriksson, Vanek and Dorsett will be around next year as well. 

FTFY

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's just classic apollo. I've learned to just take it in stride and roll with it. Better than incessant negativity.

I suppose.  I'm AM truly glad fans are getting excited about the team again, but you KNOW that if we don't make the playoffs we're going to be back to "This team sucks" or "Fire Benning" or "Fire Green" or "I can't stand to watch".... all because they got their hopes too high.  

We are in transition people.  Our team was virtually void of future and prospects only a short 2-3 years ago, and now we are building back up again.  But we're building... not built.  But let's not put too much pressure on this team quite yet - there will be a time for that and that time just isn't this season.  Let the guys gain chemistry together and move back to a winning culture.  Let our prospects develop,  Let the coach and players become familiar with each other and how each other thinks so they can all be on the same page to work under the same system. Let the Sedins retire and fully hand the reigns over to Horvat and co so we can have a fresh start under new leadership.  Let Benning complete his work to give us those pieces I mentioned we don't have yet.

For this particular year, I think if just we make the playoffs that's a highly successful season. Be excited - sure.  We have reason to be.  But let's be realistic as well.  No cup is coming to Vancouver this season.

Just now, kloubek said:

I suppose.  I'm AM truly glad fans are getting excited about the team again, but you KNOW that if we don't make the playoffs we're going to be back to "This team sucks" or "Fire Benning" or "Fire Green" or "I can't stand to watch".... all because they got their hopes too high.  

We are in transition people.  Our team was virtually void of future and prospects only a short 2-3 years ago, and now we are building back up again.  But we're building... not built.  But let's not put too much pressure on this team quite yet - there will be a time for that and that time just isn't this season.  Let the guys gain chemistry together and move back to a winning culture.  Let our prospects develop,  Let the coach and players become familiar with each other and how each other thinks so they can all be on the same page to work under the same system. Let the Sedins retire and fully hand the reigns over to Horvat and co so we can have a fresh start under new leadership.  Let Benning complete his work to give us those pieces I mentioned we don't have yet.

For this particular year, I think if just we make the playoffs that's a highly successful season. Be excited - sure.  We have reason to be.  But let's be realistic as well.  No cup is coming to Vancouver this season.

It's literally one guy and he's always like that.

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

So if they don't win the cup this year, blow it up and start again?

Call me crazy, but I thought they were still building for the future.

Haha I don't think he understands the figure of speech. I was a little lost when he said that too. Pretty much the opposite of cup or bust right now. 

4 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Is Cory Hirsch always waving Canuck pompoms now?

Well, he's got 108 NHL games as a goalie, and 101 of them were with the Canucks. So... I think he's probably always been waving the Canuck "pompoms". I think Vancouver is the only town he could work in where anyone would recognize his name. Even then... I doubt most people know who he is

4 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Well, he's got 108 NHL games as a goalie, and 101 of them were with the Canucks. So... I think he's probably always been waving the Canuck "pompoms". I think Vancouver is the only town he could work in where anyone would recognize his name. Even then... I doubt most people know who he is

I like Hirschy. Liked him since he was a scrawny redhead kid playing for the Blazers. ::D

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Plus 1 for the best username on CDC. It truly is cup or bust this year. Hitch's comments further solidify that this team is a Cup Contender. 

Apollo you are a bad, bad man ... or the straw that stirs the drink perhaps ... lol ... cuporbust - all in good time - just not yet.

My secret dream is 6/49 larcenous.

We pick up someone's 2018 1st(late-Dec) from their GM's pocket(they're desperate from injuries)..even still, they crash out & finish about 20th OA. Incredibly, their slot gets the #1OA pick! JB is suddenly regarded a genius.

Meanwhile, we sneak in with a wildcard placing, & go on a wild, unlikely '82-style run, but this time go all the way. Roger Neilson & Quinn laugh over pints in Heaven.

A man can dream, eh?...

Archived