The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hitchcock sings high praises on Canucks

cuporbust

18 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Thanks Apollo. Yeah they have all the tools to be a contender this year it seems. Now all those media members that didnt understand what Benning was doing can finally shut their mouths for a while. 

What I'm looking forward to if this keeps up and we are second or third in the division by the end of the year, with aside from ARI is starting to look like the new Central Division, ie the best in the league ( Fluery is close so Vegas can lose a few with their FOURTH string goalie, imagine that, and expect to get back in the win column).

EDM dug a hole, THN pick to lose on the final to PIT, SJ and CAL are far from out of it and at this point it's looking like all five possible spots are coming from the Pacific ....

Vancouver was predicted to be seventh in the division, a top five draft pick again, and the usual what is Benning doing, why hasn't he blown it up and what can they blow up comments in the yearbook and the team section of the weekly published THN ( during the season) ....a lot of crow.  A lot of pie in the face.

It's early, but our point streak continues and if it goes on for five or six more games it can become a foregone conclusion that unless injuries start piling up like stack wood, this club is getting in at least in a wild card spot and Benning is picking at least in the low twenties come draft day....

I'm happy for that as long as we are not buyers at the deadline at least with draft picks.

18 hours ago, darkpoet said:

I guess I'm not the only one feeling pretty positive after a loss. The last half of that game reminded me of game 1 vs. Edmonton. Very playoff-like feel. 
If not for Bishop, it could have been a very different story. Now we know what it feels like when other teams have to face Nilsson. They are basically the same size.

To come out and play a game like that, with Edler, Stecher, Eriksson and Boeser out. That's something. 

They lost, but it didn't feel like a loss.  Fine team play, no stupid penalties, the arrival of the successors for the Sedins: it all seems to be falling into place.  I'm still not a fan of the Gagner signing (too long, too much, too optimistic), I wish someone else could have been sacrificed rather than Sbisa, and I can't help feeling Linden/Benning/vibes have continued the bad luck in the draft lottery: but this is not the stuff to sweat over, to say the least.  

What amazed me at the end of the Dallas game was that everyone present -- in particular the Horvat leadership group -- did not look defeated.  A couple of the players at the end of the game even smiled a couple of times: not lackadaizically but confidently.  They are beginning to see that they can compete.  Like their boss, maybe just a bit unlucky.  With a key scorer and one more young playmaker (Boeser and Pettersson?) this team is not far from being very very good.  

Even in the short-term: when Virtanen and Hutton -- and to some extent even Boeser -- begin to hit their stride over the next 3 or 4 months, this team will only get better.

After the Dallas game? Clearly, Del Zotto and Biega can play on any Canucks team.  (Sign Biega long-term, maybe even some decent money.) Nothing against Edler, but he is clearly no longer a top 6 D.  Just as the Sedins are no longer top 6 forwards.  This is a sign of progress; the long-awaited succession.   

17 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Just don't be surprised, or even alarmed if they take a step back as the youth is integrated into the lineup.

It's taken a few years for Horvat to really come into his own.  I expect the same for the other new guys.  I figure in about 5 years, this team will be a real contender.

Less than 5: maybe as few as 3.  If Pettersson is as good as they say -- and Dahlen is somewhere between Baertschi and Boeser in talent? -- could be competive by Fall of 2019.  There are players on this team who are only scratching the surface of their game: Hutton, Stecher and Virtanen.  And what if Gaunce figures out how to put the puck in the net?  But you are right: there will be losing streaks, some years will not be playoff years.  

I like the balance this team is showing... when Horvat is your leader and Sutter and Dorsett are your shutdown guys?  Not too shabby.  No superstars yet... there may never be. Doesn't mean they can't be competitive and a joy to watch. 

15 hours ago, PuckFather said:

Like finishing 29 and pick 5th again?

I prefer New Jersey's situation... maybe Winnipeg's: be better than bad, and get lucky in the draft.  It's terrible enduring what we did the last two years... and maybe not even necessary.  

19 hours ago, apollo said:

Plus 1 for the best username on CDC. It truly is cup or bust this year. Hitch's comments further solidify that this team is a Cup Contender. 

19 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Thanks Apollo. Yeah they have all the tools to be a contender this year it seems. Now all those media members that didnt understand what Benning was doing can finally shut their mouths for a while. 

I think you are both a little over optimistic.  That being said gave both of you a plus because I love the Optimism.  The team is looking great and we are definitely playing as a team and who knows maybe you are right sometimes the team that has each others back can do amazing things.  Its fun to watch again that's for sure.

This is a cool random stat about Coach Green that I like, boys got skillz-

"Green also has won over $345,000 in poker tournaments, including events at the World Series of Poker. He is married to Sheree Green and has a daughter, Jordyn, and two sons, Blake and Brody."

There's a good Green quote that goes something like.....there's a lot of work to become an overnight success......

1.  Travis Green - Portland Winterhawks - Assistant Coach 2008 - 2012

-  Head Coach 2013 (47 games)

- Utica Comets - Head Coach 2013 - 2016

2. Canucks - clearly, the media considered the Canucks to be crap until very recently.  This is Bennings 4th season with the club (3 complete, 4 drafts) now, seemingly out of the blue, his ducks are in a row and the team is showing signs of success.  Wow, what a quick turnaround.  Not really......

19 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I'd be cautious of his comment.  I remember his comment about Canucks being the most hated team in the league and he said, it's because they are too good.  What happened after that, they declined so fast.  

Yeah that's why they declined......

45 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There's a good Green quote that goes something like.....there's a lot of work to become an overnight success......

1.  Travis Green - Portland Winterhawks - Assistant Coach 2008 - 2012

-  Head Coach 2013 (47 games)

- Utica Comets - Head Coach 2013 - 2016

2. Canucks - clearly, the media considered the Canucks to be crap until very recently.  This is Bennings 4th season with the club (3 complete, 4 drafts) now, seemingly out of the blue, his ducks are in a row and the team is showing signs of success.  Wow, what a quick turnaround.  Not really......

Greene was suspended by the WHL for quite a while.

For a few seasons, his Portland team was incredible. As much as we hated losing to them, they were also fun to watch.

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Greene was suspended by the WHL for quite a while.

For a few seasons, his Portland team was incredible. As much as we hated losing to them, they were also fun to watch.

It was Johnston that got suspended.

I have to admit I'm so very pleasantly surprised at how well the team is doing.  I am on record as not being sure during last season when the pitchforks were out for Willie that switching to Green was going to be a sure fire success.  How wrong was I?  Love what he's done with the group overall, love the "team first" mentality that he's got everyone playing to.  Love the style of play where they hound the puck all over the ice and pressure the other team constantly, makes for entertaining hockey to watch.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

It was Johnston that got suspended.

Correct. Oops. Thanks.

Had seasons tickets for years running back then and was right above the beer stand.

Not surprised this one was blurred.

At any rate, those Winterhawk teams were intense and almost impossible to beat.

Now, Greene has a few of his boys back and they are playing well for him. Very cool.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Correct. Oops. Thanks.

Had seasons tickets for years running back then and was right above the beer stand.

Not surprised this one was blurred.

At any rate, those Winterhawk teams were intense and almost impossible to beat.

Now, Greene has a few of his boys back and they are playing well for him. Very cool.

which team? 

The big question will be how sustainable this style of play is and honestly it would seem far more sustainable than burning out one or two lines or D-pairings. If Green keeps this up the Canucks can make the playoffs and that's where this style of play would really thrive.

Haven't seen a full team game like this since the 2011 Bruins or Kings to be honest.

Archived