The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chemistry and Splitting the Sedins

JamesB

Splitting the Sedins  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

They should maybe have split the Sedins on regular basis at least 3 years ago, but that boat has sailed now.

I much rather the youngsters and future players get accustomed to one another, than they play with the Sedins, only to find them retiring at the end of the season.

I do agree though that they tried to split them up during preseason in 3 on 3 and that looked really good.

Despite our good start to the season, this is still transitional period, so would prefer the players, that are about to be faced out, play together.

Torts tried and got fired.

20 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

The way I see it : 

Virtanen - Horvat  - Boeser

Dorsett - Sutter - Burmistrov (they are getting top minutes)

Daniel - Granlund - Rodin/ Goldobin

Gagner/ Rodin/ Goldobin- Henrik - Vanek

You see it very differently than everyone else. I almost wonder if you really see anything at all or if you just wrote names down on pieces of paper and threw them at a wall.

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I hope this has nothing to do with the NJ game because they were fantastic.  Controlled the puck very well and a bunch of scoring chances.  Virtanen is meshing greatly with them. 

No one scored vs NJ.  If we are talking chemistry I'd sit Vanek.  Again he was a momentum killer on the ice.  Burmistrov and Gagner need someone who can get to pucks and check hard to create turnovers, which Vanek just cant do.

I agree. I've been pretty hard on the Sedins this year but that was their best game of the season.

I think Vanek has been decent most of the year. He had a brutal giveaway or two last night but we've come to know what to expect out of him (not the Vanek of old). He'll be hovering around 18-20 goals by the end of the year and that's more than enough for his $2.0M salary.

I thought Burmistrov had a strong game. Gagner was ok. But we need to see more out of Bo. Aside from the 1st game where he looked like a world beater, he's had his struggles pretty much all year. Either he's struggling to get his legs going or he's just not finding that open ice that he needs. Either way, he's not playing to his strengths which is his skating.

It's time to switch Virtanen with Granny on that line. Granny had great chemistry with the twins late last year and as much as I'd hoped Virtanen would be a fit, he just isn't.  Virtanen needs to be with Sutter and Dorsett where he can play his hit and run style game.  I also think he'd be much more effective knowing Dorsett is there to back him up.  As far as the twins on the PP, Henrik never shoots and Daniel just can't shoot. Daniel has lost his shot. Vanek has to be the net presence and Boeser has to be on that unit being the shooter. Long story short - keep the twins together in all situations, just change their line mates. 

I'd be open to splitting them up on the power play.

There've been some good signs that our man advantage is improving. But most of this has happened when the Sedins are on the bench. When they do play the power play, they tend to create a very static formation, and I think I've railed against this approach enough by now that I don't have to detail the importance of movement and shifting/rotation in PP systems.

Beyond the eye test, the numbers support the idea that the twins aren't getting it done on the man advantage. They are currently our 7th and 8th best forwards in PP GF/60. And it's not just a matter of luck as they are also 7th and 8th in PP CF/60, 7th and 9th in PP SCF/60, and (slightly better) 4th and 5th in PP HDSCF/60.

EDIT: "GF"=goals for, "CF"=Corsi for, "SCF"=scoring chances for, and "HDSCF"=high danger scoring chances for. Just in case the above looked like a bunch of gibberish to anyone.

They just aren't getting the results to justify continued central placement on a power play unit. They shouldn't be dictating the scheme anymore. They might very well be better suited as supporting playmakers, on two separate units, and surrounded by our more dynamic players.

5v5 is a different story. The twins continue to produce some of our best on-ice underlying metrics at even strength. And my eye test agrees with the numbers. I think they've looked good at evens and should continue to play together exclusively. The individual results will come. They're doing the right things and have actually been quite dominant (generally they're ranked 1&2) at 5v5 on Corsi, Fenwick, scoring chances, and high danger scoring chances.

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

time to retire sedins your play is embarasssing i hope benning buys eriksson out as well its the worst contract in the nhl at moment for length and price. Let the kids play  hell even rodin    please trade vanek  guddy and bunch of vets at deadline   nhl is a youth sport these days 

Guddy is only 24 is that not youth

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree. I've been pretty hard on the Sedins this year but that was their best game of the season.

I think Vanek has been decent most of the year. He had a brutal giveaway or two last night but we've come to know what to expect out of him (not the Vanek of old). He'll be hovering around 18-20 goals by the end of the year and that's more than enough for his $2.0M salary.

I thought Burmistrov had a strong game. Gagner was ok. But we need to see more out of Bo. Aside from the 1st game where he looked like a world beater, he's had his struggles pretty much all year. Either he's struggling to get his legs going or he's just not finding that open ice that he needs. Either way, he's not playing to his strengths which is his skating.

+1

I get the criticism too because they are expected to produce.   Virtanen is looking more comfortable every game with them. 

This team is playing really well given the expectations of this team, and they look like they are about to break out.  The shot attempts and their ability to create turn overs bodes well. 

The thing with Vanek is that even though he may get the odd goal, I feel like Burmistrov and Gagner would be doing even better with a guy that doesnt turn the puck over so much.  Id like to see Vanek turn into an asset at the TDL too, but I think scouts will see that his puck possession isnt exactly strong, and his puck pursuit is pretty weak too.   I have a feeling that if Guance comes back and starts flying, Vanek will be sitting.   Burmi/Gagner line could be another scoring threat with a quick winger that drives the net. 

52 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

+1

I get the criticism too because they are expected to produce.   Virtanen is looking more comfortable every game with them. 

This team is playing really well given the expectations of this team, and they look like they are about to break out.  The shot attempts and their ability to create turn overs bodes well. 

The thing with Vanek is that even though he may get the odd goal, I feel like Burmistrov and Gagner would be doing even better with a guy that doesnt turn the puck over so much.  Id like to see Vanek turn into an asset at the TDL too, but I think scouts will see that his puck possession isnt exactly strong, and his puck pursuit is pretty weak too.   I have a feeling that if Guance comes back and starts flying, Vanek will be sitting.   Burmi/Gagner line could be another scoring threat with a quick winger that drives the net. 

If anyone should sit it's gagner

I look forward to when the Sedins do retire, not because I dislike them but rather so that we can all get on with discussing whether or not Horvat and Baertschi, or Horvat and Boeser, or Horvat, Baertschi and Boeser should be broken up to play on different lines.

regards, G.

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

+1

At first I liked the idea, and did so for a game or so.  But imo, jake isn't playing/developing his game with them.

mgmt/coaching wants jake to improve his 200' game and that won't happen with the sedins.

secondly, jake doesn't have the opportunity that use his on the Rush speed and shot as much as he should, nor is there the hitting.  Imo that will be his game in the future.  In no way to i see jake as a sedin style player in this league.  And, personally, i don't want to see that.

i hope it's a short term endeavour and that soon he will be on a line that implements his skill set.

46 minutes ago, riffraff said:

At first I liked the idea, and did so for a game or so.  But imo, jake isn't playing/developing his game with them.

mgmt/coaching wants jake to improve his 200' game and that won't happen with the sedins.

secondly, jake doesn't have the opportunity that use his on the Rush speed and shot as much as he should, nor is there the hitting.  Imo that will be his game in the future.  In no way to i see jake as a sedin style player in this league.  And, personally, i don't want to see that.

i hope it's a short term endeavour and that soon he will be on a line that implements his skill set.

That's fair. Even though he maybe doesnt get to do the things as much as youve said with say someone like Bo, I like that he is working on his puck skills and playmaking with the Sedins.  He was able to drive the net and shoot a few times vs NJ.  Just missed the net or got stopped by Schneider along with everyone else

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

That's fair. Even though he maybe doesnt get to do the things as much as youve said with say someone like Bo, I like that he is working on his puck skills and playmaking with the Sedins.  He was able to drive the net and shoot a few times vs NJ.  Just missed the net or got stopped by Schneider along with everyone else

Agree here.  Like I said,  I was into it as an idea and seeing it in action and the playmaking development/iq would help round out his game.

Archived