The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chemistry and Splitting the Sedins

JamesB

Splitting the Sedins  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some one posted this line-up in pre season and I’d like to see it given a try, even tho it’s very unlikely:

D Sedin - horvat - H Sedin

Grandlund - Sutter - Dorset

Baer - Burm - Boeser

Vanek - Gagner - Virtanen

ony risk with this is the Sedins would probably be playing 17ish minutes per night. 

Somebody suggested that they take turns sitting and only one Sedin should be playing at any one time. This is a valid suggestion IMO. They are constantly being accommodated into the line up somewhere and I think its getting to the point now where there is no where to "hide" them anymore. Its not fair for Virtanen to have to sit most of the night because there is little room to insert the Sedins into the game most nights.

After 13 games, its safe to say that they are not effective on the PP. The PP is basically over once the Bo/Boeser line comes off.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Somebody suggested that they take turns sitting and only one Sedin should be playing at any one time. This is a valid suggestion IMO. They are constantly being accommodated into the line up somewhere and I think its getting to the point now where there is no where to "hide" them anymore. Its not fair for Virtanen to have to sit most of the night because there is little room to insert the Sedins into the game most nights.

After 13 games, its safe to say that they are not effective on the PP. The PP is basically over once the Bo/Boeser line comes off.

Maybe Gaunce takes one of their places for a game?  

I think the Sedins slow play is actually affecting Virtanen at the moment. It looked like it was working but at the moment it doesn't look like they are complimenting each other.

Id like to see something like this 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Gagner Burmistrov Vanek

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I think the Sedins slow play is actually affecting Virtanen at the moment. It looked like it was working but at the moment it doesn't look like they are complimenting each other.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Gagner Burmistrov Vanek

They should be setting up Virt because he is the "Shooter". Instead they insist on passing it back and forth to each other until they lose possession. Its like Virt digs it out of the corners for them, dishes it to them, and then they lose possession. He could be their "bread and butter" for them just like their line mates in the past have done but they cannot let go of the "pass it to my brother" mentality.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

They should be setting up Virt because he is the "Shooter". Instead they insist on passing it back and forth to each other until they lose possession. Its like Virt digs it out of the corners for them, dishes it to them, and then they lose possession. He could be their "bread and butter" for them just like their line mates in the past have done but they cannot let go of the "pass it to my brother" mentality.

So true.  When the Sedins are finally gone 150 days 14 hours and 32 minutes, my lasting memory of them will be of the hundreds of wasted opportunities due no needless extra passes.  

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The game has changed. It's much faster paced than it was 10 years ago. The sedins peaked at a time when the pace of the league best suited their play. Even if they were in their prime now they wouldn't be as successful as they used to be. 

They just don't have it anymore, especially to play with a player like Virtanen. Granlund showed last year that he can play the cycle game with them at least.

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah Hanks 0 points in 13 games is a much better option. Along with his 0 goals this season. :P

Not sure what Hank's stats have to do with my thinking of Virtanen should sit during PP (for now at least).

If ur implying that Virtanen should take Hank's spot on PP, then I wish to tell u there are better options (again, for now at least).

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Gagner Burmistrov Vanek

Grandlund is a strong piece in that line. I would not wanna break up that line nor Killer B's line. 

Gagner, Vanek, twins..all combined, it's too much turtle-speed with no bruising ability. Almost 30% of the team's cap allowance spiralling down the drain. What exactly pray tell, do youth learn(on-ice) from these vets?

Next yr, about 15 mill opening, & chance to add skaters like Goldy & Gaudette. Can't wait!

This is long overdue and really should have started in preseason with a new coach, but I understand that Green didn't want to reinvent the wheel with so many new players.

We have gone on for 2-3 years arguing which line mate is best for the twins, when it should be which Sedin will integrate well on a line. Every player that has been tried with the Sedins have done as well or better without the Sedins.

With their minutes now, it just makes sense for TG to split them because we really have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

With Gaunce coming back and the Sedin minutes at 9-13 per game game, why not make a move to add them to lines that just might benefit from their experience.

Leave the top 2 lines alone

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Granlund Sutter Dorsett

Gaunce (forechecker -2 way ) Sedin (playmaker)-Vanek (shooter)

D Sedin (playmaker - shooter)- Burmistrov (playmaker/ 2 way) Virtanen ( forechecker - shooter)

Gagne, Burmy or Jake rotate

4 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Not sure what Hank's stats have to do with my thinking of Virtanen should sit during PP (for now at least).

If ur implying that Virtanen should take Hank's spot on PP, then I wish to tell u there are better options (again, for now at least).

No not implying that . You just had a vague statement with no real explanation to it. I just put out Hanks name because I think that other players(which may include Virt) should be tried on the PP because it is definitely not operating the way it is supposed to. I picked Hank because he has 0 points on the PP so far this year. Obviously there is room for improvement.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, EdgarM said:

No not implying that . You just had a vague statement with no real explanation to it. I just put out Hanks name because I think that other players(which may include Virt) should be tried on the PP because it is definitely not operating the way it is supposed to. I picked Hank because he has 0 points on the PP so far this year. Obviously there is room for improvement.

I was simply responding to iBacon's post from page 1. 

I didnt think it was vague given Virtanen's performance thus far this season. 

He sure has improved a lot since last year but his positioning and plays away from the puck needs a lot of work. (For example, the way he sits around and waits for the puck to come to him in past few games that he played before he got scratched)

He did score goals. Good for him. It was amazing to see him shut his critics up for once. 

I still agree that PP could change up a bit but I still don't think Virtanen should be put on PP yet.

If u thought I didn't want changes to our PP, then ur mistaken. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Can't split them up now at this stage of their careers. Green managing their minutes is a smart move so they're rested and most effective.

You live by the Sedin, you die by the Sedin! 

Just heard one of the Twins (Henrik?) on 1040.  He said it’s hard to get into a rhythm, with so little icetime.  He felt he and his brother were playing well, yet got fewer minutes.  Uh oh? 

Archived