The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vet Fwds In Lineup

Nuxfanabroad

41 minutes ago, Baer. said:

You added the "If they play poorly" just there. In that case, that could be said about any player. Still don't see your point. Goldobin should stay in Utica where he can be a top player for them. I don't see how calling him up helps anybody. Green isn't going to make decisions based on who the fans want to see.

And if the arena continues to have a great many empty seats, what about then?  

Not a fan of this idea Nuxfan. 

Do understand the idea of freeing up a space for somebody else though.

Think this season and possibly next is about patience, and let the youth being mature enough to enter the frame, without being stapled to the bench.

Expect Goldy to play next season and maybe Gaudette, and then the year after hopefully our new 1C.

Don't wanna go all Oilers, and ruin the prospect due to lack of patience.... 

In saying this, won't have a problem with Green benching some of the vets to ensure JV, Boeser and Gaunce all gets to play.

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think this season and possibly next is about patience, and let the youth being mature enough to enter the frame, without being stapled to the bench.

Expect Goldy to play next season and maybe Gaudette, and then the year after hopefully our new 1C.

In saying this, won't have a problem with Green benching some of the vets to ensure JV, Boeser and Gaunce all gets to play.

Would it have killed them to bring up Gold or Bouch? A weensy bit more excitement and scoring potential? Nope we dive bomb for the plumber.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Agreed.  

We have Gaunce coming back and Rodin/Goldy knocking at the door while Gaudette plus a few others maybe later in the year.  Couple that with too many vets in Utica... there is temptation is to roll out the carpet at the NHL.  

But really, having those guys compete for a few spots / injury call ups this year is exactly what we need right now.  Let Utica have some success.  Can’t remember the last time we had this internal competition.  I’m sure Brock and Jake know there’s some guys chomping at the bit to get their chance as well, keeping them honest (if they need any extra motivation).

Next year we should see a few less vets and a dog fight in camp - but I don’t see the rush to squeeze guys in this year.  Injuries and slumps will provide plenty of opportunity while the competition brings a ton of motivation. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Agreed.  

We have Gaunce coming back and Rodin/Goldy knocking at the door while Gaudette plus a few others maybe later in the year.  Couple that with too many vets in Utica... there is temptation is to roll out the carpet at the NHL.  

But really, having those guys compete for a few spots / injury call ups this year is exactly what we need right now.  Let Utica have some success.  Can’t remember the last time we had this internal competition.  I’m sure Brock and Jake know there’s some guys chomping at the bit to get their chance as well, keeping them honest (if they need any extra motivation).

Next year we should see a few less vets and a dog fight in camp - but I don’t see the rush to squeeze guys in this year.  Injuries and slumps will provide plenty of opportunity while the competition brings a ton of motivation. 

Agree... exactly how I feel.

I would unload the vets tomorrow if it was up to me 

Vanek has been good and I’m a fan but I’d rather see goldy in the line up

gagner won’t be going anywhere(2 more years at 3.1m is a non starter) which I’m ok cause he’s versatile 

God love them but the sedins just can’t make things happen anymore. 

12 games and 2G and 5 points for Daniel and 3A for Henri just isn’t very good for any player playing on the PP 

eriksson, I’ve looked at other teams to see if there’s a fit to flip a bad contract for a bad contract and I’m convinced he has one of the, if not the worst contracts in the league 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Would it have killed them to bring up Gold or Bouch? A weensy bit more excitement and scoring potential? Nope we dive bomb for the plumber.

I know what you mean, but I think they've decided on giving them a proper run out in Utica....

Actually think the excitement is ok this season...far better than the previous two anyway.

Maybe Goldy will get the chance later, but for now its actually probably better if they still think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

20 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Glad you 'reacted', SP..which begs an important question.

If nobody's a somebody, does everybody feel like anybody?

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

My typing fingers dance like garden slugs, Lager..if we were frittering our time away at the donut shop, I'd bend your ear 'til you saw the wisdom...

:lol: 

I've read your comment 7 times now without fully grasping the concept...  it must be way over my head haha  

"Typing fingers dancing like garden slugs" is my favourite simile that I've heard since I've moved to the Western World.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

gagner won’t be going anywhere(2 more years at 3.1m is a non starter) which I’m ok cause he’s versatile 

God love them but the sedins just can’t make things happen anymore. 

Gagner IS versatile!  He coughs up the puck in the neutral zone and the offensive zone!  

How can you say that the Sedins can't make things happen after the last two games?  I know they're struggling because of our expectations of Art Ross winners, but Sedins would at worst be a 3rd line on any team in the league and would more often then not be a 2nd line on other teams.  

I'm actually finding the Sedins to be having dominant shifts more often as of late.  

Just because we are used to them cycling the puck as if we're on a  power play, doesn't mean that it still shouldn't be appreciated. 

39 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Gagner IS versatile!  He coughs up the puck in the neutral zone and the offensive zone!  

How can you say that the Sedins can't make things happen after the last two games?  I know they're struggling because of our expectations of Art Ross winners, but Sedins would at worst be a 3rd line on any team in the league and would more often then not be a 2nd line on other teams.  

I'm actually finding the Sedins to be having dominant shifts more often as of late.  

Just because we are used to them cycling the puck as if we're on a  power play, doesn't mean that it still shouldn't be appreciated. 

They were listed as the 4th line in the caps dressing room and on a not-so deep offensive team. That it in itself tells you what the opponent thinks of them nowadays. It’s just plain weird 

They might create a chance or two but they just don’t have the timing to capitalize anymore in tight spaces 

they are playing better and I hope they can continue to trend upwards because this looks like their swan song season 

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They should declare this is their last season and can have all the accolades they deserve, as they go through the rest of the season.

I am surprised by their lack of production and ice time, on a so far decent team.

I think once this team cools off and falls out of the playoff race they will announce it is their last year.

I don't think they will when we are still in the race..........and if we do make the playoffs they won't announce their retirements till after the season.

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waiting for Daniel to hit 1K. Hope it's soon.

After that, if healthy, here's hoping that TG rotates the 5(or so) vets, sitting 1 each game.

Eriksson

Daniel

Gagner

Henrik

Vanek

Sit them down, & explain the fans want to see the youth. Unless one of them goes offensive-apesh*t, they each take turns taking a seat.

side suggestion: if any youth fall off the map, throw their name on the list.

Yea or nay?

Sorry to throw cold water on this but it ain't going to happen.

You ignore the purpose of Benning bringing in the veterans in the first place.  There's a reason why Goldobin is playing in Utica.  He has to learn how to play without the puck.  He's getting very much the same treatment as Jake got last year.  Obviously offensive output has nothing to do with it.  While young players are rounding out their games to be effective and reliable in the big league, there are veterans in the line up to take their places.  That's why Benning handed out 1 year contracts to most of the vets.

Having said this, Benning is going to have to make hard decisions.  Gaunce will be back soon.  Edler is skating.

Archived