The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

buying outright vs contract cellphone

viper78978

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Got me a brand new flip phone for 30 dollars:)

i don't have a line yet, but enjoy flipping the phone open; it makes me feel like Captain Kirk.  

Sometimes, it's just the little things in life.

Thanks, Alf :)

Always purchase the phone outright. My current plan is $48 for unlimited nation wide calling / international sms / 5GB data. If I wanted to get an iPhone X on contract that would be $600 for the phone plus 2 years of the plan being $100.

$600 + 24*(50) = $1800

And then after the 2 years, the plan remains the same monthly cost (rip off) 

Outright the iPhone X is $1300.

NOPE.

I work for AT&T's subsidiary called Cricket Wireless.  There are plenty of inexpensive unlocked phones on the market.  Feature-wise many are like taking a step back in time but there are some cheap phones that have very good features. One such phone is the LG X Charge.  Phone costs just over $130 and has a great camera and a huge battery.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a little foggy on this. If you buy a phone outright, do you get substantially cheaper plans? My last phone was on a two-year contract and I had a $40/mo. plan.

It's kind of the other way around.

If you want a phone for "free", you can only get it with certain qualifying plans.  Guaranteed, those plans will be significantly more than the one you already have.  And once you give up that plan, you can never get it back.

2 hours ago, HI5 said:

20171103_180554.thumb.png.e8ab4b73322df39c2a495815a99834f1.png

My current plan..cell phone was bought out off Amazon.

Rogers?  Thats almost as good as the corporate plan I have thru my wife.  I guess I don't know the other features other than the data part.

17 hours ago, Russ said:

Rogers?  Thats almost as good as the corporate plan I have thru my wife.  I guess I don't know the other features other than the data part.

Rogers sucks..they were giving me bs deals even though I had been with them for years. 

This plans with Virgin on a Sask plan. Originally they had me on 6gb data for 48 bucks and 2 months later their loyalty department called me and offered another 4gb for additional 7bucks. 

So 10gb data 55bucks a month, unlimited canadawide and vm. 

When I travel I just purchase a simcard from whatever country im in. 

4 hours ago, HI5 said:

Rogers sucks..they were giving me bs deals even though I had been with them for years. 

This plans with Virgin on a Sask plan. Originally they had me on 6gb data for 48 bucks and 2 months later their loyalty department called me and offered another 4gb for additional 7bucks. 

So 10gb data 55bucks a month, unlimited canadawide and vm. 

When I travel I just purchase a simcard from whatever country im in. 

I worked in Saskatoon last year and was thinking about signing up there. But me wanting to hang on to my number lol 

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I worked in Saskatoon last year and was thinking about signing up there. But me wanting to hang on to my number lol 

Lol a few of my friends opted to keep payin more cause they wanted to hang on to their numbers. For me it didn't make a difference, I kept goin over my data cause the office I was workin at didn't have wifi. 

Archived