The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) What are the Chances...

...That we could walk away with two of the top UFA's of 2018?

If the Sedins retire, and if we can move Eriksson and Edler at the TDL or the Draft, that would free up $28.25 million. Do you think there's anyway we could convince both Tavares and Kane to come here (Tavares for ~$10 mil, Kane for ~$7-8 mil) to form two thirds of an incredible top line? We have the youth to surround them with to fill out a complete lineup. 

Kane - Tavares - Boeser

Baer - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Gagner

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stetcher

Nilsson

Markstrom

Hey, Dare to Dream.....right? right??

That's fair. I'm more interested in hypothetically if the cap were freed, do you think We could convince TWO highly sot after Free agents to come here. I imagine that even moving the above four, both Kane and Tavares would have to leave a little money on the table to come here. 

Like I said, just dreaming. he he

You'd have to ask both players.

As far as I know, the chances of Kane coming to Vancouver are quite high, although that counts on him reaching free agency (which all signs point to), and Benning making him an offer that works for him.

Tavares will most likely sign with the Islanders. If not there, he'll probably sign with the Laffs and push Matthews down to 2C.

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As far as I know, the chances of Kane coming to Vancouver are quite high, although that counts on him reaching free agency (which all signs point to), and Benning making him an offer that works for him.

Tavares will most likely sign with the Islanders. If not there, he'll probably sign with the Laffs and push Matthews down to 2C.

Doubt Leafs could afford Tavares.  I like the OP, and would be all for us getting both these guys.  It would be like when the Wild got both Suter and Parise.

41 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

That's fair. I'm more interested in hypothetically if the cap were freed, do you think We could convince TWO highly sot after Free agents to come here. I imagine that even moving the above four, both Kane and Tavares would have to leave a little money on the table to come here. 

Like I said, just dreaming. he he

Kane yes, Tavares... maybe with McD money and that would cripple the team moving forward. 

But we are going to have 30 mil to spend for next season. The most important deal is Guddy, then after that try for Kane. Everyone else is a bridge deal so we should be OK even with no trades. 

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or Bergevin offers JT $12m/yr.

No matter how much I despise the leafs, Matthews is a #1C. Stupid leafs

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Doubt Leafs could afford Tavares.  I like the OP, and would be all for us getting both these guys.  It would be like when the Wild got both Suter and Parise.

The Wild haven't got close to a cup with both of those guys. Both are getting older and Parise seems to be injured every year as well. It's a big crapshoot with expensive U.F.A.'s, we got a piece of crap already.

The way I see it is Sedins retire and thats 14 million in space. Ericksson wont be moved for another 2 years sadly. Edler gets resigned south of 4 million for 2 years/ gets traded at the deadline.

I'd love to get Tavares but not north of 10.5 million and at 5 to 6 years. Pettersson wont be ready until 2019 and a top 2 pairing of Tavares and Horvat would be sick until then. 

Kane is a solid left winger we need and if his attitude is positive he would be a nice addition moving forward.

Imagine getting those 2 and Dahlin (we are contenders easily in 2019). 

Pettersson - Tavares- Dahlen

Kane - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Gaudette - Lind

Dahlin and Joulevi on D , with Demko in net....

or the ultimate usage of Centers

Kane - Tavares - Virtanen/ Lind

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen/ Lind/ Granlund

...that the Twins retire after this season? I think it will all depend on their professionalism. If they have meh-poor years, and that because of a fading skill set (as opposed to injury), then yes I see them retiring rather than hanging on. Linden played definitely 1 year too many, if not 2. He was a shell of himself by then, and frankly was an embarrassment. But if they are still contributing to the team, and haven't cost the team more than they offered, I think they resign. Right now, this guess is 50/50 (then 90/10...90% chance I guess wrong!)

Trading Eriksson this year? Somewhere between extremely slim, and that proverbial snowball...

Trading Edler? That I could see, especially if Green makes it abundantly clear that he is the #6 dman on the team (when he comes back) and frankly isn't totally wanted. Then I could easily see Edler going to management and asking outta here.

Kane...I wouldn't mind signing. I think he might come a little less expensive than you might think. Tavares? Not a chance, unless we throw $11M his way...which we won't.

7 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

What are the Chances......That we could walk away with two of the top UFA's of 2018?

If the Sedins retire, and if we can move Eriksson and Edler at the TDL or the Draft, that would free up $28.25 million. Do you think there's anyway we could convince both Tavares and Kane to come here (Tavares for ~$10 mil, Kane for ~$7-8 mil) to form two thirds of an incredible top line? We have the youth to surround them with to fill out a complete lineup. 

Kane - Tavares - Boeser

Baer - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Gagner

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stetcher

Nilsson

Markstrom

Hey, Dare to Dream.....right? right??

9.3%.     

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Kane yes, Tavares... maybe with McD money and that would cripple the team moving forward. 

But we are going to have 30 mil to spend for next season. The most important deal is Guddy, then after that try for Kane. Everyone else is a bridge deal so we should be OK even with no trades. 

And I wouldn't pay McDavid money for Tavares as he's not at that same generational level, but with a free agent bidding war it could get high.

Kane on the other hand might be willing to go for a hometown discount. If not, and that turns into a bidding war as well then good luck to him wherever he lands. There's still too much personality/attitude risk with him to pay top UFA pricing, IMO.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

9.3%.     

5652.strip.print.gif

Archived