The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, inane said:

Mass shootings, we're talking about mass shootings. I'm sorry I haven't explicitly stated that in every sentence thereby giving you this tangential way to get out of actually addressing my original point. 

Ok, I guess we're talking about slightly different issues then.

I'm talking about mass killings, the more encompassing issue.  

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Tired of saying this but thoughts and prayers out to those affected by this tragedy. 

i agree with the tired part

but really

don't americans wonder why this is happening repeatedly in their country and really no where else on this scale?

and why don't they do something about it rather then just accept reporting of these regular occurrences

and don't try to suggest this is an immigration issue

the variety of shooters simply does not support this blindered view

so what else might it be? to everyone but the americans it appears to be the way to easy access to guns

by terrorists, mentally ill, angry americans, etc

if they do not address this issue

the ongoing sympathy others send their way will begin to be worn out

please fix what is clearly broke

6 hours ago, zzbottom said:

It's pretty painful. And white people feel like they're allowed to be openly racist and hateful now because of the renegade presidency. It's a joke. 

This itself is an example of racism.  To stereotype an entire group of people and paint them in a negative light.  In order to eliminate racism, we have to get away from that stuff.  Perhaps you could have said "idiots feel like they're allowed to be....." as I'm sure many white folks condemn these types of attacks.

Mental health issues, social/economical factors, social media have contributed to more mass shootings.

America has always been most violent western country.

Also the most heavily armed in the world, as well as constantly being at war.

In 1928 Chicago had 498 murders, homicide rate in 1930's was 14.6 per 100k, 80 years later 15.6.

The only difference is that the Irish and Italian victims/killers have been replaced by blacks and Latinos. 

Gun culture will be very difficult to change.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Meh.  'Murica 

Left right

Black white

Muslim Christian 

Gun laws or open carry

When people want to commit an act of terror they'll find a way to do it and no matter what happens people will be quick to justify their own point of view without ever listening to any other arguments no matter what the facts are

Bingo.

I have to say, I have not read something more true after a tragic events like today's occur. 

Listen everyone, open your minds. People rag on those who send 'thoughts and prayers' because they aren't actually 'helping', and there may be some truth to that. But the truth is, if you're one of those who opens a thread and immediately takes a side and closes your mind to the other, you absolutely are not helping. 

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This itself is an example of racism.  To stereotype an entire group of people and paint them in a negative light.  In order to eliminate racism, we have to get away from that stuff.  Perhaps you could have said "idiots feel like they're allowed to be....." as I'm sure many white folks condemn these types of attacks.

You're not wrong. My mistake. Not trying to pigeon H an entire race. Having grown up in a predominate white area and hearing nothing but bubbled aggressive thoughts, it's the first thing that comes to mind. 

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Mental health issues, social/economical factors, social media have contributed to more mass shootings.

America has always been most violent western country.

Also the most heavily armed in the world, as well as constantly being at war.

In 1928 Chicago had 498 murders, homicide rate in 1930's was 14.6 per 100k, 80 years later 15.6.

The only difference is that the Irish and Italian victims/killers have been replaced by blacks and Latinos. 

Gun culture will be very difficult to change.

Right. Right wingers scream mental health when it comes to these tragedies, and the Trump administration with their "alternative" to healthcare is gutting mental health services including that which Obamacare covered, so... More lunatics on the loose. If you live in the States, just hope you or your family aren't at the next shooting.

Any truth to the rumour that he was with Antifa?

"Rosemary Bellinger writes....
The gunman who opened fire inside a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, has been identified as Devin Kelly, an Antifa member who vowed to start a civil war by “targeting white conservative churches” and causing anarchy in the United States."

RIP to those that perished.

16 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Any truth to the rumour that he was with Antifa?

"Rosemary Bellinger writes....
The gunman who opened fire inside a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, has been identified as Devin Kelly, an Antifa member who vowed to start a civil war by “targeting white conservative churches” and causing anarchy in the United States."

RIP to those that perished.

Apparently an ANTIFA photo was posted on his timeline.

antif.jpg

Once again a nut with a stock pile of guns.  Wonder what will finally be the tipping point in 'merica that will finally convince them that they should ban firearms.  Don't tell me it will never happen, it will.  One day, common sense will prevail.

13 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Quick! Everyone go out and buy guns! This makes as much sense as buying a new car after a 14 car pile up on the freeway! 

Actually is makes a ton of sense.  Every time an incident happens, there's the threat of new laws coming into place that would prevent people from being able to buy in the future.  So people rush out to buy before they loose that chance to. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually is makes a ton of sense.  Every time an incident happens, there's the threat of new laws coming into place that would prevent people from being able to buy in the future.  So people rush out to buy before they loose that chance to.

That's correct. I've seen stats that show weapons purchases spike immediately after mass shootings. (I won't bother to search out and post them, because I think this is one thing we're all in agreement with) I also think it's pretty clear that people do so because they are concerned that restrictive laws will follow.

That being said, it certainly looks like they're worried over nothing, as the "feared" legislation never seems to materialize. People are creatures of habit, I suppose.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's correct. I've seen stats that show weapons purchases spike immediately after mass shootings. (I won't bother to search out and post them, because I think this is one thing we're all in agreement with) I also think it's pretty clear that people do so because they are concerned that restrictive laws will follow.

I can verify that, we even see spikes in sales here in Canada when events like this happen in the US.

That being said, it certainly looks like they're worried over nothing, as the "feared" legislation never seems to materialize. People are creatures of habit, I suppose.

Probably the case, it's just human nature to want something before you're told you can't have it.  .  

9 hours ago, Chandymen said:

Apparently an ANTIFA photo was posted on his timeline.

antif.jpg

Meh,

I have a religious quote on my timeline from a while  back that was relevant in my life at that time.  Doesn`t make me religious

Think I'll wait for facts before facebook

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meh,

I have a religious quote on my timeline from a while  back that was relevant in my life at that time.  Doesn`t make me religious

Think I'll wait for facts before facebook

"Facts before Facebook". That should be the mantra of any politically charged debate on these boards.

Of course we know it's not likely to happen, as it seems that several members get the bulk of their "facts" from social media feeds....

Archived