The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Once again a nut with a stock pile of guns.  Wonder what will finally be the tipping point in 'merica that will finally convince them that they should ban firearms.  Don't tell me it will never happen, it will.  One day, common sense will prevail.

I wonder how many people have more than one firearm, who are good, honest citizens.  Considering the number of guns in the US, I would venture to say a great many.  In Canada we have plenty of people who own more than one firearm.  Should we ban renting trucks because some crazies used rental trucks to run over people?  This guy was a whacko.  

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Once again a nut with a stock pile of guns.  Wonder what will finally be the tipping point in 'merica that will finally convince them that they should ban firearms.  Don't tell me it will never happen, it will.  One day, common sense will prevail.

Sadly no...no it won't.  Civil war will happen first in the US

Why?

See the bolded part below.  This  is literally the mentality of people in the US,  Guns are a right, healthcare isn't.  Guns are a right.  Education isn't.  Guns are a right....your rights are not.

The bolded part is the endless go to for people in that argument, nothing will change.

Just now, Alflives said:

I wonder how many people have more than one firearm, who are good, honest citizens.  Considering the number of guns in the US, I would venture to say a great many.  In Canada we have plenty of people who own more than one firearm.  Should we ban renting trucks because some crazies used rental trucks to run over people?  This guy was a whacko.  

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meh,

I have a religious quote on my timeline from a while  back that was relevant in my life at that time.  Doesn`t make me religious

Think I'll wait for facts before facebook

True, it's like just because someone has a confederate flag in their garage doesn't make them a racist.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sadly no...no it won't.  Civil war will happen first in the US

Why?

See the bolded part below.  This  is literally the mentality of people in the US,  Guns are a right, healthcare isn't.  Guns are a right.  Education isn't.  Guns are a right....your rights are not.

The bolded part is the endless go to for people in that argument, nothing will change.

Hippy, you didn't answer the question though. How deep does the banning of things go, before we have no freedoms left?  Should the Internet be banned?  ISIS recruits over social media, and people make bombs after reading the 'how to' on-line.  The city of New York is putting up concrete BARRIERS across all their bike/walking lanes after that last horrible attack, by a psycho with a Budget Rental truck.  How many barriers do we need?  At what point do we admit there are some very evil people, who will do evil things regardless of the barriers?  This is why many people want the right to carry.  To protect themselves and their families from the evil that does exist.

Just now, inane said:

Yeah, it's just like if I have a nazi flag doesn't make me racist.

Well, I have a St. George's Cross flag and a Canucks flag. :P

"Reports that the perpetrator carried an Antifa flag and told churchgoers “this is a communist revolution” are fake news."

https://www.snopes.com/texas-church-shooter-antifa/

58 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can verify that, we even see spikes in sales here in Canada when events like this happen in the US.

Probably the case, it's just human nature to want something before you're told you can't have it.  .  

"it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley.

Love that movie.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Well, I have a St. George's Cross flag and a Canucks flag. :P

"Reports that the perpetrator carried an Antifa flag and told churchgoers “this is a communist revolution” are fake news."

https://www.snopes.com/texas-church-shooter-antifa/

Regardless of this guy's political, or religious connections, HE WAS A PSYCHO WHACK JOB.  In his twisted mind he believed he was acting for some 'greater cause' simply to justify the brutality of his act.  There are evil people, who give in to their inner desire to do harm.  What ever the reason we try to attach for the person's horrific actions, it only serves to make our minds understand.  Yet, we can't understand, EVER.  Our minds are not twisted, like these murderers.  We all know, whether consciously or subconsciously, that evil exists in some people, and we try to protect ourselves (and families) the best we can.  We lock our doors.  We avoid certain locations.  We insist our kids/wives have cell phones and stay in touch.  We take self-defense training.  We carry knives. We carry guns. We have a sixth sense, that causes us to 'feel' when danger might be near.  If there was not evil in the world, would we take such precautions?  Is there a better way to protect oneself from evil, than with a gun?  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hippy, you didn't answer the question though. How deep does the banning of things go, before we have no freedoms left?  Should the Internet be banned?  ISIS recruits over social media, and people make bombs after reading the 'how to' on-line.  The city of New York is putting up concrete BARRIERS across all their bike/walking lanes after that last horrible attack, by a psycho with a Budget Rental truck.  How many barriers do we need?  At what point do we admit there are some very evil people, who will do evil things regardless of the barriers?  This is why many people want the right to carry.  To protect themselves and their families from the evil that does exist.

Maybe you failed to read my previous statement.

I suggest you do.

As for guns and as per my previous statement

Knives are meant to prepare and eat food.  Vehicles are meant for driving.  What are guns meant to do again?  They're the #1 choice for causing harm and terror for a reason.

And as a gun owner.  If a person literally feels that not owning a gun is a serious infringement on their rights and freedoms they're not mature enough to own a gun in my opinion

21 minutes ago, inane said:

Yeah, it's just like if I have a nazi flag doesn't make me racist.

I have a die cast model of the general Lee complete with flag on it.

It's only a symbol of hatred or racism if you refuse to see it any other way 

The swastika for almost 2000 years stood as a religious symbol meaning everything from prosperity to balance to good luck.

It's all about perception my man

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Maybe you failed to read my previous statement.

I suggest you do.

As for guns and as per my previous statement

Knives are meant to prepare and eat food.  Vehicles are meant for driving.  What are guns meant to do again?  They're the #1 choice for causing harm and terror for a reason.

And as a gun owner.  If a person literally feels that not owning a gun is a serious infringement on their rights and freedoms they're not mature enough to own a gun in my opinion

With this I agree 100%.  

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The swastika for almost 2000 years stood as a religious symbol meaning everything from prosperity to balance to good luck.

So would you drive through summer land in a KGB black Dodge Challenger with a swastika paint job blaring beethoven's 9th on a Sunday avvo?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Words, symbols -- their meanings change over time. But when you fly something symbolic, like the confederate or nazi flag, that have a relatively very recent meaning, don't be surprised when people perceive that as support for that very recent meaning.

3 minutes ago, inane said:

Words, symbols -- their meanings change over time. But when you fly something symbolic, like the confederate or nazi flag, that have a relatively very recent meaning, don't be surprised when people perceive that as support for that very recent meaning.

Today, education is much better about the symbolism of the Confederate flag.  Years ago (early 80's) I was at a fun (touch) football tournament. There was a team of all black guys from somewhere down south participating.  One of the local teams showed up in a pick up flying the Confederate flag. (their team was the Rebels, I believe)  A couple of the black guys walked over to the players on the 'Rebels' and discussed the flag issue, in a respectful way.  There was no yelling or shouting or anything like that.  The 'Rebels' rolled up their flag and put it away.  I heard definite words of apology expressed.  I think there was once a lot of ignorance before about that flag. (Just look at the car in the Duke's of Hazard).  Now, with better education, that ignorance is far less.  But, talking and education is the key, not violence.  Ignorance is acceptable, but the refusal to accept other's viewpoints and learn and change is not.

30 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So would you drive through summer land in a KGB black Dodge Challenger with a swastika paint job blaring beethoven's 9th on a Sunday avvo?

Of course not.  I have standards.  You'd never catch me dead in a new challenger

29 minutes ago, inane said:

In all honesty, up until the last 9 months NOBODY north of Georgia EVER saw the confederate flag as anything more than the confederate flag.  A literal participation ribbon or a banner for rednecks.  Nobody north of Virginia as it was ever saw or associated it with racism until it became such a hot button topic.  15 years ago without facebook nobody north of Virginia would even care honestly.

But now it's the "in thing to do" so much so that Fat Wanda the daughter of two proud white professionals, Rob aged 58 in insurance and Debra aged 54 in Banking loses her proverbial crap every time she sees a "trigger" because social media says it's bad and then goes on some long winded rant about why and how her feelings are hurt and how it's disrespectful to anyone less pasty than herself.

Symbols and symbolism change, but as I said 15 years ago this confederate flag meant nothing more than "hey hold my beer and watch this"

Back to topic, much like this shooter having a single image of an ANTIFA flag means nothing about him being left/right or anything of the sort.  It's a symbol, to which those triggered like Fat Wanda on the right are screaming he's an ANTIFA terrorist 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Of course not.  I have standards.  You'd never catch me dead in a new challenger

In all honesty, up until the last 9 months NOBODY north of Georgia EVER saw the confederate flag as anything more than the confederate flag.  A literal participation ribbon or a banner for rednecks.  Nobody north of Virginia as it was ever saw or associated it with racism until it became such a hot button topic.  15 years ago without facebook nobody north of Virginia would even care honestly.

But now it's the "in thing to do" so much so that Fat Wanda the daughter of two proud white professionals, Rob aged 58 in insurance and Debra aged 54 in Banking loses her proverbial crap every time she sees a "trigger" because social media says it's bad and then goes on some long winded rant about why and how her feelings are hurt and how it's disrespectful to anyone less pasty than herself.

Symbols and symbolism change, but as I said 15 years ago this confederate flag meant nothing more than "hey hold my beer and watch this"

Back to topic, much like this shooter having a single image of an ANTIFA flag means nothing about him being left/right or anything of the sort.  It's a symbol, to which those triggered like Fat Wanda on the right are screaming he's an ANTIFA terrorist 

Your lack of perspective is blinding. 

1 minute ago, inane said:

Your lack of perspective is blinding. 

Your inability to see simple facts is astonishing.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Keeping in mind I have faced racism as a person of mixed heritage in Canada from the time I was a child into my adult years as a trades person.  I'd say I have a solid perspective and a wealth of personal experience to go on here regarding racism and symbolism.

Archived