The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - Arizona (Discussion)

KKnight

7 hours ago, Fateless said:

OEL is a top ten (arguably top 5) d-man in the NHL. You can't compare the way Karlsson "carries" his team with what OEL does because Karlsson has a very strong supporting cast around him that allows him to make plays. OEL doesn't have that luxury. 

Hutton, 2018 1st, and a prospect will NOT be enough to pry OEL from the Coyotes unless that prospect is a blue chip like Juo, Dahlen, Gaudette, or Pettersson. And at that price, our team won't want him because you're giving up some fantastic future players for a player that is at the top-end of our window. Simply put, he's too old for our team considering the value he'd take to acquire.

But don't kid yourself Alf, OEL is one of the best d-man in the NHL and our team would be lucky to have him. He'd be our #1 guy without question.

I'd trade Hutton a 2018 mid first and Dahlen for Larson. 

Defencemen typically don't hit their peak years until 26/27 which is where OEL is now.

This is the offer I'd make:

Van

OEL

PHO

Hutton

Granlund

2017/2018 1st
2018/2019 1st

That's a pretty respectable haul, a T4 defenceman to somewhat replace the hole made by OEL leaving, a 20g scorer that can play up/down the T9, and two likely to be mid round 1st round draft picks.

IMO the past two drafts has bought some time for Benning to get a little spendy with the 1st round draft picks in order to acquire that #1 D we haven't had since JovoCop was here.

On 06/11/2017 at 4:43 PM, VanGnome said:

Defencemen typically don't hit their peak years until 26/27 which is where OEL is now.

This is the offer I'd make:

Van

OEL

PHO

Hutton

Granlund

2017/2018 1st
2018/2019 1st

That's a pretty respectable haul, a T4 defenceman to somewhat replace the hole made by OEL leaving, a 20g scorer that can play up/down the T9, and two likely to be mid round 1st round draft picks.

IMO the past two drafts has bought some time for Benning to get a little spendy with the 1st round draft picks in order to acquire that #1 D we haven't had since JovoCop was here.

my thoughts exactly. Dont know if id give two first rounders up. I would only look in to it, if we continue as a mid tier team. If we slide in to bottom ten status, we HAVE to keep that pick. Too many elite players available at the top of this draft. 

22 minutes ago, KKnight said:

my thoughts exactly. Dont know if id give two first rounders up. I would only look in to it, if we continue as a mid tier team. If we slide in to bottom ten status, we HAVE to keep that pick. Too many elite players available at the top of this draft. 

Yeah, I think that goes without saying. If there's any possibility that we slide into the top 10 of the draft we have to keep the pick. The move only makes sense if by Christmas we are still in Wild Card contention, with a shot at making the playoffs.

On 06/11/2017 at 1:28 PM, KKnight said:

Im not saying Hutton, our 1st and prospects would get it done. But, if were in the mid tier of the draft and want to improve and not wait for 4 years for this player to be ready. 

Well see that's the thing.  We already have our current young core and that core will be supplemented by the prospects we already have so although we may or may not have elite talent in our current assets, the forward group looks good as a whole.

What doesnt though is our defense.  We are relying on Juolevi to be a top pairing guy and I'm not confident he will be.  I'm fact, our entire defense consists of mid to bottom pairing defensemen (Tanev aside) and we need a difference-maker back there to put up points and drive the PP.

If we draft, as you say, we are waiting 3-4 years for that guy and he will come after our current young guys are entering their prime and should be contending.  Then give him another 2 years to really become amazing at the NHL level and the timing just isnt ideal.

This is why I believe we are going to get the top end defenseman we need either via trade or ufa.  (Almost positively a trade).

Archived