The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Canucks interested in Evander Kane... Again

Nessnuck27

4 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think Jim wants Kane baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.  Everyone on here will go bannanas in a negative way when this happens.  Baertschi, Hutton, 2nd hahahaha

I really can't see it being worth very much for us to just get a jump on free agency.

If we have a compelling case to make to him to sign here, is it any less compelling four months from now?  Is it that big of a danger that he goes to a contending team and realizes he loves it there AND they happen to have the cap space and desire to sign him to term?

Kane, Maroon, Brady Tkachuk all seem like good targets who could balance the lineup a little.  There are also guys to be found for the 4th line that can add some toughness to the lineup but can still play 10+ minutes a game.

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not at this rate. 3 points in 20 games.

So, I haven't been following him all that much, but I know he had a strong finish last season. Is there a reason for his drop off?

He injured?

Line mate injured?

Trade Rumor distractions?

Been arrested or charged with anything recently????

1 or more of the above???

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I haven't been following him all that much, but I know he had a strong finish last season. Is there a reason for his drop off?

He injured?

Line mate injured?

Buffalo.

4 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think Jim wants Kane baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.  Everyone on here will go bannanas in a negative way when this happens.  Baertschi, Hutton, 2nd hahahaha

I can't see us trading right now for Kane. I don't think we would be willing to offer as much as a playoff team would be willing to unless its a situation where Buffalo is finding that his trade value is limited by his current performance (probably partially at least), and by his cap hit. Not many contending teams have the ability to absorb his hit without also moving some other significant salary and risk disrupting their overall lineup.

I really doubt this would happen, but could Buffalo realize a better return on someone like Vanek and be considering doing a trade that would be something like:

To Vancouver:

Evander Kane

Moulson 50% retained

To Buffalo:

Vanek

Hutton

Dowd

Pouliot

Then flip Vanek and a later round pick to a contender for a late round 1st?

I know that the numbers on this cap wise, really don't balance, pretty sure we don't have enough IR to make something like this work, we'd need to have more cap space going back the other way. Baerschi maybe?

Take this with a huge grain of salt, this is wild speculation and I still really think that Kane goes to a contender for a pretty reasonable package of futures.

Personally, I'd still rather wait till July 1st and sign him.

Just for fun, this would be within cap with our current players on LTIR.

vancouver_canucks.svgVAN
  1. Kane, E
  2. Moulson, M ($2,500,000 retained)
  3. 2018 4th round pick (BUF)
buffalo_sabres.svgBUF
  1. Vanek, T
  2. Hutton, B
  3. Holm, P
  4. Dowd, N

Again, REALLY do not believe that anything like this will happen, just was curious on whether or not something like that could fit into our cap.

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He injured?

Line mate injured?

No clue.

He’s getting prime offensive minutes (averging over 17+ minutes and 55%+ offensive zone start time a game), but he’s been bumped up and down between lines. Maybe not knowing whose he’s playing with each night is hurting his numbers?

Just now, shiznak said:

No clue.

He’s getting prime offensive minutes (averging over 17+ minutes and 55%+ offensive zone start time a game), but he’s been bumped up and down between lines. Maybe not knowing whose he’s playing with each night is hurting his numbers?

I personally think that he lacks a little bit of mental toughness and that all the trade talk may be getting to him. I think his production really took off last year when those charges against him were starting to be dismissed. I think he relaxed and played his game.

I think he has interest in playing out his career in Vancouver, but I think he also has interest in landing in Vegas. I think with his history of some questionable actions outside the rink, that Vegas would not be a good landing place for him. Too many opportunities for trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived