The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Canucks interested in Evander Kane... Again

Nessnuck27

44 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am of the "get him for 'free' in the off season" mindset. 

Edit: Although honestly I am not all that interested in him at all, but if management wants him I hope it doesn't cost us any assets.

Honestly, I'm kind of turned right off of the UFA market after LE and Sam Gagner. I think we need to build from the draft and supplement our youth with UFAs on short term (1-2 year contracts). None of this 5-6 year crap that EK will surely command.

33 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Honestly, I'm kind of turned right off of the UFA market after LE and Sam Gagner. I think we need to build from the draft and supplement our youth with UFAs on short term (1-2 year contracts). None of this 5-6 year crap that EK will surely command.

Neither Gagner nor Erikkson bring the combination of what Kane does.

35 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I dunno what is worse, the cost of signing him as a FA or what it would cost to trade for him.

I think I have to pass on both counts.

Definitely the cost in a trade would be worse. Cap space will be far more flexible this offseason.

18 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Gagner has been fine for his term and $ and seems to be getting better as he gets more comfortable. He's here for depth until kids are ready.

Eriksson is what it is. So far anyway... Wasn't a fan of signing him in the first place. He's our 'bad' contract and most teams have at least one.

I'd be just fine signing 26, turning 27 year old EK to a 4-6 year deal. I'd wager all the things that make some here wary of signing him (not to mention perhaps a bit of home town discount) will also keep the term and hit lower than it otherwise might be for a player with his abilities. Instead of 6 or 7 years, he might only get 5 for example. And instead of $7m, he might 'only' get closer to $6m.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to agree we should continue focusing on rebuilding through the draft but Kane represents a (MUCH needed IMO) top 6, skill set we don't have in our prospect pool. And if we can grab that skill set for what may be a comparably 'bargain' price...

It's also not a completely linear situation. If EK fills a spot in our top 6 (with again, a skill set we don't currently possess) and we have some mix of Baer/Dahlen/Granlund/Lind/Goldobin to otherwise fill a couple of the smaller, skilled play making wing roles in the middle 6, that means we can potentially move a couple of them for further picks (or prospects etc) to further that 'rebuilding through the draft'.

So by nicely filling a top 6 spot, with a skill set we otherwise don't possess, he allows us to move someone else (with a more redundant in our pool, skill set) to keep rebuilding through the draft. Or perhaps to fill holes elsewhere (D prospect?).

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Definitely the cost in a trade would be worse. Cap space will be far more flexible this offseason.

Again the question is, what $ amount is vancouver comfortable offering, and is there another team out there that could out do us. Yes we will have some cap room but long term not it wont be that much if we consider the type of raise a player like brock will get

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again the question is, what $ amount is vancouver comfortable offering, and is there another team out there that could out do us. Yes we will have some cap room but long term not it wont be that much if we consider the type of raise a player like brock will get

There's always the possibility of another team willing/able to pay more.

Some will depend on how much he'd like to play (and live) here obviously. All we have to be, is in the ballpark and if he wants to come home, he will IMO.

But yeah, if other teams are offering something like $7m X 7 years.... enjoy 'X' city Evander :lol:

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Obviously it's Evander's decision....if he makes it to free agency.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's always the possibility of another team willing/able to pay more.

Some will depend on how much he'd like to play (and live) here obviously. All we have to be, is in the ballpark and if he wants to come home, he will IMO.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Obviously it's Evander's decision....if he makes it to free agency.

I just feel like i've seen this happen to often in vancouver where we believe someone was a lock to return home and sign with us only for us to lose out. Lucic recently comes to my mind

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But yeah, if other teams are offering something like $7m X 7 years.... enjoy 'X' city Evander

I was actually listening to NHL radio today and that's around the number he will get this year, if he can keep up his play this year. I'd do 7 million but it would be a lot less term (4 or less).  I just look at the upcoming talent and the extension they will be asking for an have a hard time committing to term. 

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

If it took 6x6 to get Loui the Albatross, I shudder at the cost of EK on the open market.

More than EK. I was never a fan of that signing, as Eriksson hadn't really done enough to warrant that kind of payday.

He was the benefactor of playing with very talented linemates in Bergeron and Ratface. Benning probably projected Eriksson's production to stay relatively standard throughout the contract. I wonder if analytics was used as a factor in signing LE?

If Eriksson comes back and remains as he was last season and before the injury, I hope Benning kick himself, and looks to try and rid the team of that contract.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just feel like i've seen this happen to often in vancouver where we believe someone was a lock to return home and sign with us only for us to lose out. Lucic recently comes to my mind

I was actually listening to NHL radio today and that's around the number he will get this year, if he can keep up his play this year. I'd do 7 million but it would be a lot less term (4 or less).  I just look at the upcoming talent and the extension they will be asking for an have a hard time committing to term. 

Who is saying he's a lock to return home? At the present, I'd put good money on him re-upping in Buffalo to continue his bromance with Eichel. Why wouldn't he?

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I still think, given his well published history, he'll have to sacrifice term and/or dollars a player like him would get without those issues. A 'normal' player of his calibre would probably really get $7X7.

Totally agree I'd do $7X4 years in a heart beat. Or around $6.2-$6.5 X 5 etc. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Who is saying he's a lock to return home? At the present, I'd put good money on him re-upping in Buffalo to continue his bromance with Eichel. Why wouldn't he?

Good question, he might want to stay.  But that goes into the idea that if we really want him. The best route could be a trade and signing like NSH just did with Turris.  

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I still think, given his well published history, he'll have to sacrifice term and/or dollars a player like him would get without those issues. A 'normal' player of his calibre would probably really get $7X7.

Totally agree I'd do $7X4 years in a heart beat. Or around $6.2-$6.5 X 5 etc. 

Yeah that was brought up but from what they said talk around the league is they feel he's really matured and there are a few GM's that would pinching them selves at the opportunity to get him and that he's going to get the bank thrown at him.  Flames talk guys were just throwing the idea around of packaging Bennett for him.

That makes me wonder that if we could offer something along the lines of a hutton + Goldy with permission for us to talk extension with him prior, might not be bad....that is If we are set on him being on our roster next year. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah that was brought up but from what they said talk around the league is they feel he's really matured and there are a few GM's that would pinching them selves at the opportunity to get him and that he's going to get the bank thrown at him.  Flames talk guys were just throwing the idea around of packaging Bennett for him.

That makes me wonder that if we could offer something along the lines of a hutton + Goldy with permission for us to talk extension with him prior, might not be bad....that is If we are set on him being on our roster next year. 

If we could agree to an extension it would sure make me feel more comfortable trading some value. Not sure I'd move both Hutton AND Goldy though. 

Does Bennett even have any value right now? :lol: Not sure he's a big need for BUF either. 

Archived