The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roy Halladay dies in plane crash

Ryan Strome

Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay died when his single-engine plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, according to the Pasco Sheriff in Florida

The plane was registered to Halladay's father crashed and plunged into water that was six feet deep, according to police. Halladay was the lone passenger.

The Pasco Sheriff's Office Marine Unit responded to a call at noon ET that a single-engine, light-sport category aircraft matching Halladay's tail numbers was "upside down in shallow water" and that recovery efforts were ongoing.

National Transportation Safety Board spokesperson Terry Williams told USAT TODAY Sports that the agency’s investigators are scheduled to arrive at the scene of the crash Tuesday evening.

"The FAA will release the aircraft registration after local authorities release that information. The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate. The National Transportation Safety Board will determine the probable cause of the accident," FAA spokesperson Kathleen Bergen said.

Halladay was 203-105 with a 3.38 ERA in his career and in 2010 became only the second pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the postseason.

His 16-year career began in 1998 with the Toronto Blue Jays until 2009. He spent the his final four seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies before retiring in 2013. He was an eight-time All-Star and finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young Award seven times. 

On May 29, 2010, Halladay pitched the 20th perfect game in baseball history, beating the then-Florida Marlins 1-0.

Less than five months later on Oct. 6, 2010, he threw the second no-hitter in postseason history against the Cincinnati Reds in Game 1 of the 2010 National League Division Series.

After the 2013 season, he signed a ceremonial one-day contract with the Blue Jays and announced his retirement from baseball due to constant back injuries. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/07/roy-halladay-plane-crash/841101001/

RIP Roy. 

This is beyond sad. I'm actually devastated right now. My favourite player to ever play and my baseball idol as a kid. He tweeted a pic of his kids baseball team and him two days ago. Amazing human being. He will be missed dearly and Jays baseball will never feel the same.

6 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Wow.

Loved watching the Doc with the Jays. Seemed like an awesome stand up guy.

RIP.

Darn right he was an awesome guy. Remember this?  Class act.

Halladay thanks Blue Jays fans in ad

In a gracious move, new Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay took out a full-page ad in Tuesday's Toronto Sun thanking Blue Jays fans for what he called their "overwhelming passion and devotion."

Last week, the former American League Cy Young Award winner was traded by Toronto to Philadelphia as part of a blockbuster deal that also sent former AL Cy Young winner Cliff Lee from Philadelphia to Seattle. Halladay had spent his entire career with the Blue Jays, compiling a 148-76 record since the Blue Jays called him up in 1998.

The ad, which provoked an immediate wave of "class act" banter among fans on Twitter, includes the simple stationery header of "ROY HALLADAY" with the following letter beneath it:

"My wife Brandy, sons Braden and Ryan, and I would like to express our deepest gratitude to the Toronto Blue Jays organization, its incredible fans, and the City of Toronto.

"I feel blessed to have been part of the Blue Jays since 1995 and am extremely grateful for the opportunities it has provided. Throughout this past 15 years, there have been so many people within the organization that have made a wonderful and significant impact in my life, it would be impossible to name them all.

"I am sincerely grateful for the incredible support and compassion the Blue Jays fans have always shown me. I am in awe of your overwhelming passion and devotion.

"Toronto will forever have a special place in my heart.

"The memories will last a lifetime and so will my gratitude.

"Best regards,

"Roy"

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/7841946/

Archived