The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll Questions - Future Captaincy and 2nd pairing Left D

Rush17

Poll questions  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Poll Questions for the future of our franchise.  I just wanted to open up a discussion about our future leadership group and who will thrive as our 2nd pairing left D man.  

As many of you know Pettersson is tearing it up in Sweden's top tier.  This pass it to bullis article just further fed my interest in this subject. http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-elias-pettersson-on-team-sweden-s-radar-for-the-2018-olympics-1.23077374  I have a feeling Bo as exciting as he may be.  He may just be a very good 2nd line C behind Pettersson.  I wanted to create this to open up some discussion and allow for myself to see how all of you in this community feel.  Future captaincy is kind of a good indicator. 

I also have been enjoying Pouliot's progression and Hutton's somewhat stagnant play.  Just curious to see where we as a group feel these guys could be.   I will add the poll first line C as well just for the fun of it. 

Please share your thoughts about our potential future leadership!  I have a feeling Tanman or another vet will likely receive the C in the interim if the Sedin's retire before Pettersson has had a chance to establish himself.  I think a temp C might be a wise idea.  Let your thoughts flow.  :) hope this convo leads to some fun conversations about our teams future! so exciting to see the progression of our youngsters.  I excluded Baer/Granny but feel free to vote for someone else if you feel either of them are candidates. 

cheers.

Bo Horvat will likely be our future captain.

Between Pouliot and Hutton, I would say Hutton has a better chance of becoming a second pairing defenceman. 

Gudbranson, Boeser, Juolevi, Gaudette are all good candidates as assistant captains.

Pettersson has a higher potential, so there is a greater chance he becomes our first line centerman in five years from now.

Horvat will be our future captain.

As of now I would say Pouliot but we will see..

Boeser is going to be an assistant, either Gaudette or Petersson will get the A, and in my opinion at least one defencemen needs an A and that will most likely be between Juolevi and Gudbranson.

I still believe that Boeser will help turn Horvat into a number 1 center, but to me it doesn't matter if Pettersson or Horvat is our number 1 cause they are both great players. Either way they're going to be a deadly 1-2 centres. I wish we could see like a Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser line.

7 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Guddy for captain!!!! 

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gudbranson needs to be in this poll far more than guys who haven't even played in the NHL.  I am obviously excited for Pettersson to be our #1 center eventually as he's obviously a gem.

I agree based on what he brings he would be a good leadership candidate.  I feel it would be unfair to adjust the poll though with 11 votes already cast.  If you feel Guddy should be captain please select "Someone else" and cast your comment towards Guddy.  We can tally those up at the end if we really would like too.  Loving the discussion so far!

Boy, those are tough questions right now........personally, I am not seeing one guy stand out, sorta the same way we are scoring......sorta by committee

There good questions.........I probably see Horvat with a letter....just not sure he will wear the "C"  Maybe?

Maybe Tanev for an "A" ?

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Boy, those are tough questions right now........personally, I am not seeing one guy stand out, sorta the same way we are scoring......sorta by committee

There good questions.........I probably see Horvat with a letter....just not sure he will wear the "C"  Maybe?

Maybe Tanev for an "A" ?

If Tanev is sticking around, there's no reason the C shouldn't go to him.

6 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

If Tanev is sticking around, there's no reason the C shouldn't go to him.

I think personally he will be de-facto C until the youngsters are ready.  Maybe he could hold it long term.  He is one heck of a d man.  It would do wonders for showing the league how appreciated and important he is to our squad.  I'm just not sure if he would want the spotlight. 

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I think personally he will be de-fracto C until the youngsters are ready.  Maybe he could hold it long term.  He is one heck of a d man.  It would do wonders for showing the league how appreciated and important he is to our squad.  I'm just not sure if he would want the spotlight. 

Agreed, he's the most dependable player on the team. With Brisebois, Chatfield, Juolevi, etc. coming in the future, they could really use a teacher like Tanev.

I think Petterson will prove to be a character player as much as he will be driving the offense. Everything I jave read and seen points to high character with this kid. That being said, I think Bo would be the best choice for the C. Petterson with an A at some point though , I have little doubt.   

I think one player that I would look to be an important piece that often gets lost in the mix of the top prospects and young players is Guillaume Brisebois.  Canucks management seems and Trent Cull have lauded over him, and has been a leader in juniors.

I think he could be a very important piece moving forward that often gets overlooked.  If he can develop and progress as a Dman, I see him exactly in the same mold as Dan Hamhuis had on our team 

Bo is primed to be the next Captain and he is certainly showing us all why he deserves to he considered.

I voted Pouliot because I believe that if/when Pouliot finds his game he will be a hard player to beat. Meaning that either Hutton gets moved for other assets of becomes a bottom pairing dman with this team.

Hard to peg "A's" at this time but i voted Boeser and Juolevi. Will be core guys for years to come and i believe they'll be players that are leaders on this team.

I love Bo. Bo is a fantastic hockey player but no one can deny the skill set that Pettersson has. I think that Elias has a higher offensive ceiling than Bo and will develop into a top flight 1C. 

40 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Both Hutton or Pouliot could become 2nd pairing D but I think Hutton has a higher chance of being traded at some point

Yeah I have a feeling one or the one will have to be moved.  If you want to bring in Juolevi next season you have to move either one of them or MDZ.  As it stands now we have to many left D with Edler, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot.  Greener likes Lefties with Righties.  So I suspect we may see at least 1 moved out by the TDL even just to be able to rotate guys in and out.  

30 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Brisebois is our second pairing defensemen of the future IMO.

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think one player that I would look to be an important piece that often gets lost in the mix of the top prospects and young players is Guillaume Brisebois.  Canucks management seems and Trent Cull have lauded over him, and has been a leader in juniors.

I think he could be a very important piece moving forward that often gets overlooked.  If he can develop and progress as a Dman, I see him exactly in the same mold as Dan Hamhuis had on our team 

I agree with you guys Breezer is definitely worth mentioning.  I should of probably added him to the poll based on the high praise of Jim and our coaching stuff in van/utica.  It just completely slipped my mind. I think he will definitely be a strong candidate as an "A" captain down the road.  He has screamed leadership since before we drafted him.  I look forward to watching him develop!  :D 

1. Horvat is the obvious future captain.

2. I think Hutton's play is being underrated and he's getting the Edler/Sbisa treatment. His mistakes are huge, but his good plays aren't terribly noticeable. He'll have a solid NHL career as a top 4 guy probably. Pouliot could do the same as he's performed better than I expected.

3. I presume you mean alternate captains, not assistants. I also assume you mean five years in the future, given the players you set up as options. Assuming Horvat is captain, I could see Boeser being an alternate with his skillful play and humble disposition. Aside from that Guddy is a very realistic option as an alternate as well. If Tanev or Sutter remain as a veteran presence, they would also be great options as alternates.

4. Horvat looks like he can be a borderline 1C, but Pettersson is just looking so dang good that I can't see him not being a first line centerman.

Archived