The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you changed your mind on this season? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Have you changed your mind on the Canucks this season?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry Vegas

The decision about the Sedin's should be made (at least in Benning's head) before the TDL, and well before the draft and free agency............plans should not be made knee jerkedly.............I think the Sedin's Benning and Green, sit down and map out an honest exit plan, so that Benning knows exactly what's coming at him.......there are always unknown factors that get in the way, so make plans early.....they can always be changed......

PS.............in the end, this should be only Benning's decision....................you hear me Aquaman!

I think if they feel that they can't maintain pace and compete, they will let it known that this is their last season. Right now, I think they still look pretty good out there when partnered with speed.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think if they feel that they can't maintain pace and compete, they will let it known that this is their last season. Right now, I think they still look pretty good out there when partnered with speed.

Would Henrik play one more season if Daniel retired?  

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Definitely they are doing better than I expected overall.  Most of that IMO is Travis Green.  Refreshing to have a coach that actually does what he says in dishing out ice time based on performance. Willie D also preached that but in the end, in a desperate last ditch attempt for winning at all cost, seemed to only value players based on either the number of games they had played in the NHL or how many games they had played for a team he had coached in the past. He played the players he felt comfortable with more. Dealing with Tryamkin for instance seemed like chore to him. So he'd rather play a player he had history with..Larsen, no matter what was going on on the ice.

TG is the first coach to have the cojones to drastically reduce the Sedins minutes as well.  But I like that he can change direction anytime. If their line catches fire, their minutes are back up. I also like how he has Virtanen with them, even as the Sedins minutes decline, it works out perfect if you are weening a rookie into the NHL as far as minutes go as well, all the while he is gaining from the experience of learning to prepare and play like a professional in the league from the twins.

Think this was made clear to Green, when he took over. The youth have to play. ..

That seemed to be one of the issues between JB/TL and WD...

When I think of deadline deals, the only reason a player *needs* to be moved is if they are UFA at the end of the season and you don’t want to get nothing for him. 

Burmistrov has low trade value, and keeping him passed March helps our depth and may be just a valuable as the low round pick you could get for him. 

Gudbransen I would like to see re-signed, but if it looks like JB can’t get that done for a reasonable price, he should probably be traded at the tdl. Only risk for this one is we have no rhd depth to replace him. 

Vanek is interesting. I’ve been all about trading him, but at the same time he is scoring goals. Not sure the Canucks should trade him if they are in a playoff sport at tdl. If outside the playoffs, definitely trade him as his value will be high. 

All other players i would look look at on a case by case basis. If what is being offered his high value, maybe pull the trigger. Otherwise, you can wait till the offseason. 

We're doing a bit better than I thought we would be; the team is much better on paper this season than last. Our off-season UFA signings are miles better than Megna, Chaput, Cramarossa, Skille, ect. 

As much as I respect them, and as thankful as I am that we were lucky enough to see them play for so long, it's time to move on from the Twins. Them playing in a significantly reduced role paired with how well the team is doing shows that it's time.

Vanek and Guddy should be moved IMO. It's obvious why Vanek should be, and Guddy is going to want more money than he's worth. 

It`s early days. Look at Vegas. Look at Edmonton. Pleasant start to the season (Brock=wow) but hey, we need to stick to the long term plan. Move a couple of bodies and collect picks or prospects where possible. It needs to be a youth movement. Another month or so will likely determine the future for the twins. Hopefully they start putting up some numbers. Nice to be competing at the moment, but we need to load up for this draft IMHO. Not saying tank at all. Just see no reason to make the playoffs this year, and hopefully are on the outside looking in. We are due for a little lotto luck.

Just now, aGENT said:

Based on....?

Well, I probably shouldn't have stated that as a fact, but I can't see him staying here for less than say $4.5 - $5 million. D tend to get overpaid. 

Hits aside, I don't think he's worth big money. I'd like him to stay, as we need that sort of intensity in the lineup, but not if we're overpaying. 

1 minute ago, Incursio said:

Well, I probably shouldn't have stated that as a fact, but I can't see him staying here for less than say $4.5 - $5 million. D tend to get overpaid. 

Hits aside, I don't think he's worth big money. I'd like him to stay, as we need that sort of intensity in the lineup, but not if we're overpaying. 

In fairness 'big money' is now $7m+ in the NHL (if not $8m).

As a good, physical, 2nd pair, shutdown D with leadership out the wazoo, I'd wager he's easily worth +/- $4m-$5m (dependent on term, NTC etc).

No, good start but we will come down to earth before all is said and done.  Like the youth injection, like adds of MDZ and Puliot. Markstrom has come around.  Lots in the pipeline and hope some turn out. Long ways to go. 

Should leave it up to the sedins to retire. If they want to play, give them another season or two. 

They have given everything to Vancouver, let them go out the way they want.

Sign 1-2 mil a season until they retire. Mutually beneficial for both parties. 

Play 3rd/4th line mins with 2nd pp time. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Our season boils down to 12 games imo, starting with the Calgary game last night. 10/12 on the road, one divisional trip and one long eastern trip. If the team lays an egg on this stretch given how tight things are I think it will be just too hard to claw our way back up. We'll be close, but its just too big a hill to climb in the west if you're even 4-6 points off the wildcard by US thanksgiving (a date a lot of other CDCr's have noted).

But regardless, if there is a hockey trade to be made almost no one is off the table on the veteran side. I'd really only be concerned with protecting players 25 years old and under at this point. 

This point is extremely pointed. Its almost fair to say our season, positive start and all rides on it.

We do have a great road record, road game plan so far??? :wub:

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

This point is extremely pointed. Its almost fair to say our season, positive start and all rides on it.

We do have a great road record, road game plan so far??? :wub:

we certainly do. I like our chances. 

I really can't think of anything about Green that bothers me, other than maybe giving Newell Brown too much rope on the PP but I really don't see who else we'd put in? maybe move Hutton out but then for who? 

I’ve said this before 

when the Canucks were perennial winners and cup contenders they would often be low in the standings in mid November and the oilers would be near the top. By mid December the tides would change and Vancouver would be almost at the top and the oilers would be the toilers in the basement again.

the duck last season are a great example. 

Trading vets for  picks and prospects should still be the mandate for this season. Nice for green to have early success and the team looks like they are actually enjoying playing again. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we certainly do. I like our chances. 

I really can't think of anything about Green that bothers me, other than maybe giving Newell Brown too much rope on the PP but I really don't see who else we'd put in? maybe move Hutton out but then for who? 

Edler :ph34r:

Archived