The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Anaheim Ducks

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Granny played like his namesake. Please bench him. Waste of space.

Gudbranson doesn't want to be in Vancouver and it shows.

Seriously?  Guddy has a bad game and he doesn't want to be in Vancouver?  He's been good at bringing physical play as well as clearing the crease.  Not too mention I've seen him participate in quite a few off-ice events as a Canuck.  I'm pretty sure he wants to be here, and I'm pretty sure we are lucky for that.

"Guddy"

This guy will bail this off season. He will return to Florida. It was a very bad deal but life goes on. 

Benning needs to completely rebuild the D from the ground up. I like the way the forward group is looking.

This D is too thin to have any combo of 2 starting d men out. 

It’s concerning that they only have one high end prospect in the d position in light of the fact tha dmen usually take longer to develop, it’s no wonder JB is throwing Hail Marys with guys like pouliot. 

Lots of people are ragging on gudbranson, with good reason. I think we can thank Ferland of Calgary for that deal. He wrecked the soft Canuck D in the playoffs that year and  JB had enough. It was humiliating to watch a AHL hack (at least back then he was) dismantle the D .Given the fact that JB came from a team where mean nasty guys like mcquaid, boychuk, and chara patrolled the blue line his move to get gudbranson shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Gudbranson would be ok if paired with a solid guy. He brings a lot of great things to the table, I’m just worried that the game has changed in a direction where a guy like guddy is ineffective. What would suck is if he just walks away at the end of the season. 

Maybe be the best thing is to keep losing and get a shot at an elite d man in this draft, I hate losing but aren’t we elated with Pettersson? He’s the product of losing after all.. 

People are too harsh on Edler considering that it's his first game back. 

Gagner is finally turning a corner.

Guddy blew... again.

Granlund has been CGY Granlund so far while Gaunce and Jake don't look like they'll produce much this season. You'd think Goldobin's itching for a chance to replace any of them with over a PPG in the AHL.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

This just shows you how much Tanev means to this team. What a boring game. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Special teams not very special tonight. Hurry back Tanev!!

52 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I noticed our net front coverage cost us those two goals at the start of the third. I think it was Guddy on the first one(3rd goal) and surprisingly Del Zotto lost his guy for the second(4th). I think that took the wind out of the sails of some of the players. Plus it looked like some of them were a little physically intimidated. If you're gonna take lumps anyway, you might as well get in there and battle. (insert balls comment here)

Might as well add my two cents. Here are my key takeaways.

1. The biggest point to me, made by others, is that the Canucks really miss Tanev. He is very important on the PK. He is also very important as a shutdown D at 5-on-5. Yes, the Ducks got most of their scoring on the PP tonight, but they also dominated 5-on-5 and the Canucks were actually fortunate not to give one or two more 5-on-5 goals.

2. Losing Tanev also hurts the offense. It is not like Tanev gets a lot of points (although he is doing pretty well this year). But his ability to make a clean first pass, exit the D-zone with possession, and quickly transition the puck up-ice is very valuable. Plus anyone who plays with Tanev plays better. Put Hutton or Edler with Tanev and they make confident plays on defence and on offence. With anyone else their game is not nearly as good.  

3. The other big obvious point was the special teams. Both the PK and the PP looked bad. The poor PP is obviously not due to Tanev, as he does not play PP. On the PP the Sedins looked like they were trying to kill time off the clock instead of the other way around. But even the Horvat line had a lot of errant passes on the PK and had a hard time getting set up.

4. At 5-on-5 I thought the Horvat line was pretty good. They got the only goal (Baertschi) and, although it was unassisted, Boeser made a nice play to get the puck into a dangerous position and pressure Bieksa into the turnover. I think Boeser could have gotten an assist, The rule is that if the opposing player gets possession then prior touches don't qualify for assists, but this was fairly close.

5. Some CDC posters do not like this comment but, after the Sutter line got off to a very good start this season as a shutdown line, they have struggled lately, including tonight. They were fortunate that Markstrom bailed them out in the first minute (I think it was the first minute) when Sutter and Dorsett combined for a bad giveaway. I like Dorsett and it was good to see him stand up for a teammate, and Sutter is a legitimate shutdown center, but I don't think their early hot start is sustainable.

6. Every team has the occasional bad game and it does not pay to over-react. The question is: Can the team come back in the next game? If the Canucks want to sustain their early season momentum and continue to look like serious playoff contenders, I think the next game is big.

I would assume, going from Vancouver to Calgary in a back to back situation then fly to southern California on their 4 games in 6 nights will caught up in many teams.  This is exactly why I was disappointed that we gave away the game when we came back 2-0 against Red Wings at home and it was our insurance to withstand a loss like this tonight.   Now, I hope that they would be available to take a practice tomorrow to fix things up and get ready for San Jose and they will have two days off after the game and hopefully that they would be sorted out in time for LA game.   It is not a time to hit a panic button as the goal for this road trip is a 3-1 record and so far, 1-1 and they need two more wins to rectify the bad games so far.   Two-game homestand is also crucial and hopefully that they would get into a small winning streak going into a longest road trip of the year in 2 weeks.  Hopefully that the boys will find their legs in two days.  Sometimes I hate to be a west coast team that have to travel that far and fatigue caught up that early in the season.  I wish there'd be more cities nearby like the Eastern Conference teams enjoy nowadays.  

1 minute ago, sxqhfeh said:

only one game why the fans are disappointing ? we cant win every game and none does,, only one bad night then every good thing we have seen is nothing now? I believe Canucks will put this one behind, regroup and come back strong next game

Yes, it's only one game but the Ducks are missing their key players and they are able to contain us and the ice tilted the other way?   This is one of a few opportunity to take advantage and I think that the travels has caught them up and is understandably disappointed.   I can only imagine when the Ducks are fully healthy.  Not going to look pretty.  

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

PP was so bad.

its been bad for 5 yrs  all our foundational signings arent very offensive   and sedins have no concept on shooting puck at net pass pass fumble. 

sutter tanev sedins even guddy hutton dont scream offense to me at all its  like non existent 

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yup, whenever he's out it really highlights how important he is in making that D-group look passable.

Guy's a stud.

might be able to get a ton for him at deadline im sure leafs caps lightning  would pay a pretty penny for him.  i hope theres a bidding war  at deadline plus he has anoher yr left on contract so hes not a rental

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

might be able to get a ton for him at deadline im sure leafs caps lightning  would pay a pretty penny for him.  i hope theres a bidding war  at deadline plus he has anoher yr left on contract so hes not a rental

As much as it would hurt, it's probably the right decision as long as we can get an impact young piece in return. We likely won't be ready to contend for the remainder of his prime.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

As much as it would hurt, it's probably the right decision as long as we can get an impact young piece in return. We likely won't be ready to contend for the remainder of his prime.

agreed  hes 27  guddy is 25    both bring little or no offense  id extend guddy because he stands up for teammates hits and clears the crease and will be in prime while core of horvat, virt, petersson, juolevi start to dominate. If a team gives us 2-3 pieces to help with future i say trade him  as it also opens up 4.25 mill in cap  that can go towards a offensive right dman that we lack 

30 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, it's only one game but the Ducks are missing their key players and they are able to contain us and the ice tilted the other way?   This is one of a few opportunity to take advantage and I think that the travels has caught them up and is understandably disappointed.   I can only imagine when the Ducks are fully healthy.  Not going to look pretty.  

I have to mention you this, Canucks had some key players missing this game, Tanev, Stecher, Eriksson, and MDZ played his off-side,and also Edler came back, lol, the def is disaster and team looks tiring. hopefully they get better next game but not looks likely

Archived